CHAPTER XLII
SECRET AND FRATERNAL SOCIETIES

WOMAN'S RELIEF CORPS
Page 2

Charles Stinson Relief Corps No. 82 was organized December 1, 1896, by Mary A. Whitney of Derry, Instituting and Installing Officer. Twenty-six signed the roll book and received the obligation, as follows: Mandana Morgrage, Rebecca B. Frachuer,* Aura A. Tennant, Emily A. Wyman,* Angeline E. Warren,* Lois L. Harrington, Vashti A. Neal,* Josephine V. Kidder, Lena A. Brooks, Della E. Annis, Nora C. Wyman,* Mary F. Fuller, Anna D. Martin,* May M. Johonnett, Irene K. Johonnett,* Mabel Little,* Sarah J. Little,* Minnie B. Carraway, Nora Carraway, Louisa A. Cleveland, Mary Mack,* Emma Dean, Verona Harriman,* Mary A. Balch, Nora A. Merrill, Catherine Miller.

The first officers were: President, Mandana Morgrage; Senior-Vice-President, Rebecca Frachuer;* Junior Vice-President, Aura A. Tennant; Treasurer, Emily Wyman;* Secretary, Lois L. Harrington; Chaplain, Angeline E. Warren;* Guardian, Vashti Neal;* Assistant Guardian, Lena Brooks; Conductor, Josephine Kidder; Assistant Conductor, Della Annis.

The lodge meets in the afternoon of the first and third Wednesdays of each month in Grand Army Hall, Library Building.

* Deceased

SONS OF VETERANS

On May 23, 1891, largely through the instrumentality of Frank J. Hayford, a camp of the Sons of Veterans was instituted in Goffstown. It was known as Camp Samuel A. Simons Sons of Veterans, and was named in honor of a soldier who enlisted from Dunbarton in Company K, 7th Regiment, N. H. Volunteers and was killed October 7, 1864, at New Market Road, Va., and buried back of New Market Station. He was the husband of Mrs. Asenath A. Simons and father of Mrs. Hattie A. Paige, both of Goffstown.

The charter members were: Frank J. Hayford,* Albert H. Brown, John G. Abbott, George H. Abbott, John B. Carraway, Maurice A. Merrill, William H. Moore, John E. Moore, Charles C. Moore, Fred L. Moore, Harry D. Grant,* Walter C. Foote,* George W. French, Fred C. Condon, Charles Wyman.

The first commander was Frank J. Hayford* and the first secretary and treasurer Charles C. Moore.

The camp was maintained for about a dozen years when the charter was surrendered.

* Deceased

KNIGHTS OF PYTHIAS

Advance Lodge No. 37, Knights of Pythias, was instituted April 10, 1890; the charter members were: Charles H. Gregg, George H. Hoit,* Natt H. Perley, Edward Seeton,* Bertrand Perkins, Lewis H. Hoyt, George W. French, George H. Whipple, Harry P. Hart,* Albert H. Brown, Bertrand Morgan,* Homer E. Grady,* J. Henry Stiles,* Alonzo Foote, Oscar L. Richardson,* B. F. Harriman,* Warren H. Whipple,* Frank A. Whipple, Willie H. Whipple, Z. Taylor Pierce,* Edward S. Snow and Frank Blaisdell.*

The first officers were: Thaddeus W. Richards,* Past Chancellor Commander; Charles H. Gregg, Chancellor Commander; C. E. Stowell, Vice-Chancellor; George H. Whipple,* Prelate; B. F. Harriman,* Master Exchequer; E. S. Snow, Master Finance; F. A. Whipple, Master Arms; O. L. Richardson,* Inner Guard; Bertrand Morgan,* Outer Guard.

Past Chancellors: George H. Abbott, Frank Blaisdell,* William C. Coburn, Harry E. Curtis, George W. French, Alonzo Foote, Clarence Aiken, Clinton D. Grant, John W. Gould, Arthur J. Gould, Herbert D. Gould, Harry D. Grant,* Charles H. Gregg, Lewis R. Gregg, Lewis H. Hoyt, George H. Hoyt,* George A. Hayford, George A. Paige, Andrew J. Pierce, Maurice C. Pierce, Bertrand Perkins, N. H. Perley, P. W. Pattee, George A. McQuesten, John W. Nesmith, Fred A. Levelle, John F. Marden, Andrew J. Morgrage,* Charles W. Regan, Charles H. Richards, Fred L. Richards, Thaddeus W. Richards,* John W. Root,* E. S. Snow, Bertie A. Whipple, Frank A. Whipple, Henry H. Smith, John W. Worden, Henry Schricker, C. W. Milliken, Clarence Aiken, Charles C. Moore.

In the winter of 1890, a company composed of members of this lodge purchased of Samuel Upton his store building and additions, which has since been known as Knights of Pythias Block. The hall is used by the Knights of Pythias for lodge meetings and is also rented to other societies for the same purpose, and the other parts leased for tenement purposes.

On the 24th of March, 1891, a voluntary corporation was formed, known as the Knights of Pythias Building and Loan Association; with a capital stock of $3,500, which was subsequently increased at various times until on the 4th of June, 1894, the amount was $7,250, where it has since remained.

A lodge known as Grasmere Lodge No. 58 was instituted at Grasmere February 27, 1896, by A. C. Buswell, Grand Chancellor, and C. B. Spofford, Grand Keeper of Records and Seal.

The charter members were: G. F. Robertson,* E. B. Swett, J. W. Roberts,* Howard Humphrey, Charles D. Smith, Eugene C. Randall, Albert T. Drinkwater, Moody B. Jones,* Cyrus A. Hammond,* Augustus Woodbury,* Ellsworth E. Emery and Fordyce W. Russell.

The lodge had an existence of some sixteen years, and in the fail of 1913 surrendered its charter. A greater portion of the surviving members joined Advance Lodge.

* Deceased

CALANTHE TEMPLE NO. 2 OF PYTHIAN SISTERS

Calanthe Temple No. 2 of Pythian Sisters was instituted March 23, 1891, by Mrs. Mary J. Horne of Derry; the sisters who composed this organization at its institution were: Mary A. Snow, Emma F. Barnard,* Myra Root, Mary A. Richards, Mary F. Richards,* Ann J. Morgrage, Olivia B. Hoit, Etta S. Hart, Jane H. Nesmith,* Flora M. Foote, Josie R. Belcher, Nattie F. Bell, Jennie M. Bell, Evelyn G. Pierce, Lizzie M. Sargent, Emma B. Richards, Hattie C. Campbell, Lorena Marsh, Lucy A. Dodge, Myra F. Grady,* Clara Gregg, Mary A. French, Mary L. Whipple, Adelia A. Richards,* Rebecca P. George, Clara M. Martin, Georgia F. Martin, C. B. Harriman and Clara A. Whipple.

The first officers were: Jennie M. Bell, Most Excellent Chief of Temple; Mary A. Snow, Most Excellent Senior of Temple; Clara Gregg, Most Excellent Junior of Temple; Emma B. Richards, Manager of Temple; Etta S. Hart, Mistress of Records and Correspondence; Lucy A. Dodge, Mistress of Finance; Mary F. Richards,* Protector of Temple; Mary A. French, Guard of Outer Temple; Mary A. Richards, Past Chief of Temple.

The place of meeting was in Knights of Pythias Hall, and the time was the first and third Saturday of each month, which was subsequently changed to the first and third Friday. This organization was known by the name of Pythian Sisters until October, 1894, when by order of the Supreme Chief, the name was changed from Pythian Sisters to Rathbone Sisters.

This lodge was the second lodge instituted in New Hampshire, and has been an important factor in the instituting of other lodges in this section of the state; it has always been in a flourishing condition and at present has a good membership.

* Deceased

KNIGHTS OF HONOR

Washington Lodge No. 1187, Knights of Honor, was instituted September 6, 1878, by Joseph S. Gardner of Portsmouth; the charter members were: Samuel M. Christie,* Oliver B. Pierce, David Grant,* Charles Morgrage, Hamilton M. Campbell, Alfred M. Campbell,* George P. Hadley, Franklin Hadley,* Charles E. Watt and Ira L. Bell.*

The first officers were: Samuel M. Christie,* Past Dictator, David Grant, Dictator; Charles E. Watt, Reporter; Hamilton M. Campbell, Financial Reporter; Charles Morgrage, Treasurer.

A charter was granted by the Supreme Lodge September 17, 1879, and for some time this lodge was in a flourishing condition, but finally on account of a system of graduated assessments inaugurated by the Supreme Lodge the members gradually withdrew, and about 1900 the lodge surrendered its charter.

* Deceased

NEW ENGLAND ORDER OF PROTECTION

Granite Lodge No. 21 was instituted at Goffstown December 29, 1887. This is an organization which covers the New England States, and is of a beneficial and social order. The lodge meets on the second and fourth Fridays of each month, and has a membership composed of beneficial and social members. The first officers were: Ernest Johnson,* Past Warden; Andrew J, Hazen, Warden; Herbert Richards, Secretary.

The charter members were: Charles H. Barnard, Jennie M. Bell, Lizzie F. Colby, William H. Dubois, Fred C. Ferson, Sarah A. Flanders, Martha E. Flint,* George W. French, Albert H. George,* Dr. Charles F. George,* Emma L. George, Leonard N. George,* Mary E. George,* Rebecca P. George, Sarah R. George, Walter S. Goodhue,* Benjamin F. Harriman,* Clara B. Harriman, Andrew J. Hazen,* Mary J. Hazen,* Arthur L. Holt, Lucy A. Holt,* William A. Holt,* Carrie C. Johnson, Ernest Johnson,* Charlotte B. Jones,* Moody B. Jones,* Mabel Little,* Sarah J. Little,* Jane H. Nesmith,* Eliza J. Noyes,* George Noyes, Marzella A. Merrill,* Natt H. Perley, Alice J. Pierce, Andrew J. Pierce, Tinnie Richards, Fred L. Richards, Herbert Richards,* James A. Richards, Eliza Richardson,* Lilla L. Richardson, Oscar L. Richardson,* Arthur C. Spencer, Ada N. Stevens, Ernest L. Stevens, George B. Stevens, Mardie L. Story, Charles E. Watt, Fred Watt, Sophronia B. Wells,* Stephen J. Wells, Amos W. Whipple, Charles H. Whipple,* Frank A. Whipple, John L. Whipple,* Lydia S. Whipple,* Olive Whipple, Otis E. Whipple,* Arosina Whipple, William S. Whipple,* and Willie E. Whipple.

Past Wardens: Arthur Barnard, Charles Barnard, Etta Barnard, John Basha, Ella Beals,* Jennie Bell, Lilla B. Blaisdell, James C. Brown, Annie M. Bucklin, Estella M. Foss, George A. Frachuer, Rebecca P. George, Lois L. Harrington, William S. Harrington, Andrew J. Hazen,* Benjamin F. Hazen, Mary E. Hazen,* Fred K. Hazen, Lucy A. Holt,* Ernest Johnson,* Peter Jones,* Charles C. Moore, Mabel N. Phelps, Fred L. Richards, George Stevens, J. Henry Stiles,* Alvin P. Seeton,* Bertie A. Whipple, Charles H. Whipple.*

This lodge has been very prominently represented in the Grand Lodge, and in the Supreme Lodge; two of its members have served as Past Grand Wardens: George Pattee and Frank A. Whipple.

* Deceased

ORDER OF UNITED MECHANICS

Washington Council No. 3, 0. U. A. M., was instituted at Goffstown Center, October 3, 1890, and the following were the charter members: E. A. Randall, John H. COPP,* A. W. Kidder, William D. Hopkins,* D. G. Roberts,* Guy Roberts, A. J. Dow, Edwin S. Annis,* W. R. Aiken, Edward W. Annis,* W. F. Greenwood, John H. Garland,* Alfred Colby,* Daniel Annis,* E. A. Aiken,* F. C. Cleveland, Albert S. Tirrell, S. G. Nute, William M. Merrill. John L. Merrill,* John L. Whipple,* John B. Lucian,* Arthur M. Worthley,* J. G. McNealy, Charles Shepard, E. W. Roberts, Walter Colby, Leonard N. George,* Gilman F. Farley,* W. C. Bartlett, Charles H. Whipple.*

The first officers were: A. M. Worthley,* Councilor; Sam G. Nute, Vice-Councilor; Guy Roberts, Secretary; Daniel Annis,* Financial Secretary; John B. Lucian,* Treasurer.

Goffstown Council No. 20, was instituted at Goffstown Village September 12, 1893. The charter members were: John L. Paul, Fred E. Dubois, Charles E. Phelps, George S. Woodbury,* George W. Gilman,* John R. Ferson, Eben W. Cram,* A. J. Phelps, Philip G. Stark,* William F. Miller, W. Alonzo Holt,* George P. Hadley, George W. Prichard, Alfred M. Hamilton,* Ralph A. Wheeler, Walter A. Pierce,* Amos H. Merrill,* Amos A. Neal, Fred C. Condon, Frank Pierce,* Byron H. Cram, Frank C. Flanders,* and E. S. Snow, Charles S. Balch,* J. Frank Fletcher,* W. J. Jones, C. B. Bidwell, C. F. Ferson and DeWitt C. Tolford* were admitted by card that evening.

The first officers were: J. F. Fletcher,* Councilor; Charles S. Balch,* Vice-Councilor; C. B. Bidwell, Secretary; F. E. Dubois, Financial Secretary; J. L. Paul, Treasurer.

This lodge maintained its identity until May 1, 1897, when it surrendered its charter.

* Deceased

INDEPENDENT ORDER OF GOOD TEMPLARS

It is almost impossible to obtain any definite knowledge of the history of the Order of Good Templars on account of lack of records. In the summer of 1869, a lodge was instituted in Goffstown largely through the instrumentality of Horace Bemis, who before his coming to Goffstown had been actively identified with the Order.

This lodge had quite an extensive membership, and carried upon its rolls the names of some of our older prominent citizens, and after an existence of some six or seven years, for lack of interest, surrendered its charter.

A second lodge was instituted about 1875, and for a number of years had quite a flourishing existence, and cotemporaneous there was a lodge of Juvenile Templars, both of which, for lack of interest or non-attendance, followed in the steps of the preceding lodge.

About 1890 George A. Bailey of Manchester, who was then a prominent state officer, instituted a lodge which was known as Goffstown Lodge No. 87, which at one time had a membership of over sixty and seems to have had a longer existence than its predecessors, but eventually followed their example.

On the 28th of January, 1911, Arthur B. Dickey, Grand Chief Templar of New Hampshire, instituted a fourth lodge, with a membership of some twenty members, and the same name, and number as the preceding lodge was assigned to it.

The first officers were: Frank W. Blood, Past Chief Templar; W. A. Paige, Chief Templar; Mrs. Fred A. Lavelle, Vice-Templar and Secretary; Carroll Coburn, Financial Secretary; Mrs. Herbert Richards, Treasurer.

This lodge seems to have had a briefer existence than any of its predecessors and soon, for lack of interest, returned its charter.

RED MEN

Massapetanapus Tribe of Red Men was organized in Goffstown August 17, 1903; the charter members were: Ervin Moore, Frank B. Flanders,* Alfred M. Campbell,* Harry H. Bowen, Herbert E. Poore,* George W. Prichard, W. J. Jones, George Ordway, Charles A. Cram, Orrin Cram,* W. J. Carney, Warren B. Richards,* Spurzheim G. Worthley, 0. H. Foster.

The organization was completed by the election of 0. H. Foster as Prophet, Ervin Moore, Sachem; Frank B. Flanders, Keeper of Wampum.

The lodge had quite a flourishing existence and at one time attained a membership of fifty, but afterwards began to wane and finally, in 1912, surrendered its charter.

WESLEY WYMAN POST NO. 16

Wesley Wyman Loyal Legion was formed in Goffstown August 11, 1919, consisting of about thirty charter members; the officers were: Maurice Johnson, Commander; Arthur H. Levesque, Secretary; John A. Carlton, Treasurer.

The post is named in honor of Fred Wesley Wyman, who perished in the Bristol Channel, England, September 26, 1918, on board the U. S. S. Tampa, which was torpedoed by a German submarine, and 112 souls were drowned.

UNCANOONUC GRANGE

On the 26th of September, 1874, Jabez B. Pattee (at a special town meeting) distributed some Grange literature, and requested those persons interested to meet at the town house on a subsequent date.

Upon the day named, about a dozen persons responded to Mr. Pattee's invitation and met Mr. C. C. Shaw of Milford, State Secretary and General Deputy of the State Grange, who explained the aims and principles of the order.

A petition was drawn and signed by all present, expressing their desire to have a Grange instituted in Goffstown. A subsequent meeting was arranged to meet at the town house upon the 29th of October, when Mr. Shaw was again present, and Uncanoonuc Grange No. 40 was organized, with the following charter members: Joseph J. Poor,* Mrs. Joseph J. Poor,* Lucian D. Hunkins,* Mrs. Lucian D. Hunkins,* Jabez B. Pattee,* Mrs. Jabez B. Pattee,* George Pattee, Mrs. George Pattee,* Abner Hoit,* Mrs. Abner Hoit,* Hiram S. Hoit,* Mrs. Hiram S. Hoit, John Whitney,* Mrs. John Whitney,* George Cox,* Mrs. George Cox,* Mrs. Lewis Sargent,* Josie Pattee, John Butterfield,* George M. Eaton,* John K. Richardson,* Charles C. Hadley, Daniel Little,* David W. Garland, Elnathan Whitney,* George W. Hunkins, Gilman Plumer,* James Richards,* Alvin Hadley and Sylvanus B. Gilchrist.

The number of charter members was limited to thirty. Upon their assembling at the town hall for the purpose of organization, thirty-one were found to be present, and one person, perhaps realizing that he was a supernumerary, or being a Grand Army veteran, his courage failed him, withdrew.

The officers chosen were: Master, Joseph J. Poor;* Overseer, John K. Richardson;* Lecturer, Lucian D. Hunkins;* Steward, Charles C. Hadley; Assistant Steward, George Pattee; Chaplain, Alvin Hadley;* Treasurer, George Cox;* Secretary, Sylvanus Gilchrist; Gate Keeper, George W. Hunkins; Ceres, Mrs. J. B. Pattee;* Pomona, Mrs. Lewis Sargent;* Flora, Mrs. George Cox;* Stewardess, Josie Pattee.

The meetings for the first few months were mostly holden at the house of George Pattee, and the two first candidates were Francis H. Phillips and Mrs. Jonathan A. Hazelton.

To show the prosperity of the Grange at its early start, during the first fourteen months, thirty-three persons were initiated, and during the year 1876, forty-five joined the order.

In 1878 the Grange was incorporated. On the first of November, 1882, the Grange celebrated its eighth anniversary, which proved a very enjoyable occasion, and John D. Lyman of Exeter, George A. Wason of New Boston, C. C. Shaw of Milford and many others prominent in the Grange were present.

In the year 1883, the Grange held its first fair, in which there was a fine exhibition of fruits, vegetables and other farm products, canned fruit, etc. October 9, 1884, the Grange celebrated its tenth anniversary, which was a very enjoyable occasion.

During the first quarter of the year 1890, the Grange reached the zenith of its membership, numbering 150, but in the early part of the season, Junior Grange No. 150 was instituted at Goffstown Center, and quite a number took withdrawal cards and joined the same.

The year 1893 was noted for a competition between the brothers and sisters in literary exercises, the sisters occupying the chairs for a certain number of meetings, when they were followed by the brothers. The effect of this arrangement served the purpose of awakening the Grange in a remarkable degree, and the applications for membership exceeded those of any previous period.

On the 29th of October of this year was celebrated the twentieth anniversary of the date of organization, and N.J. Bachelder, Master of the State Grange, and other distinguished state officers were present, and contributed to the interest of the occasion. Representatives were also present from ten neighboring Granges. On December 4, 1895, the Grange celebrated the anniversary of the founding of the order with appropriate exercises.

On the 27th of March, 1897, Jabez B. Pattee and wife, charter members, celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage, and the members of the order assembled at their home to extend congratulations.

On November 1,1899, the Grange celebrated its twenty-fifth anniversary, prominent officers from various portions of the state being present.

The year 1904 being the thirtieth anniversary of the organization, the day was appropriately observed.

In the year 1907 the Grange was honored by having its Master, B. Frank Davis, appointed District Deputy, an office holden by his deceased father, Abel M. Davis, many years before. In the year 1909, Carl B. Pattee was elected Master, the youngest Master ever elected in this Grange; he proved an able and efficient officer.

In May of this year Union Pomona Grange was organized, and the members of this Grange rendered important aid in the organization, and invited the Grange to hold its first meeting after the organization with Uncanoonuc Grange.

The thirty-fifth anniversary was very appropriately observed in October of this year.

On the first day of April, 1911, the Grange moved from Blaisdell's Hall to the Opera House.

A fair was held this year, which proved a success financially and socially. There was a very fine exhibition of grain, vegetables, fruits, flowers, poultry, fancy work and antiques; especial prizes were awarded. In the evening a drama was presented by the members of the Grange, which drew a full house. In 1912 a fair was held on the 10th and 11th of October, which proved a decided success.

The 890th meeting was held May 21, 1913. Old Folks Night was observed with appropriate exercises, and of the charter members, George Pattee, Charles C. Hadley, Sylvanus B. Gilchrist and Josephine P. Carlton were present.

October 9, as upon the preceding year a fair was held, which, like the others in years before, was very successful.

In 1914, the fortieth anniversary of the Grange was observed November 4; exercises were of a historic and reminiscent nature; State Master and Secretary were present.

In 1915, the fifth annual fair of the Granges was held October 7 and 8, in which there was a very elaborate display of all kinds of farm products, canned goods, fancy needle work and household articles; prizes were offered as in the preceding years, and the display would do credit to a county fair. A prominent feature upon the second day was the street parade, consisting of decorated teams, autos and floats, headed by Mounted Marshall William F. Parker, followed by the Hopkinton Band, traversing the principal streets of the village. In the evening a very pleasing drama entitled "In Old New England," presented by a capable cast in the Opera House, drew a very large audience.

The Grange this year felt it not only their obligation, but willingly contributed $25 to the Red Cross; $25 to the Y. M. C. A., and purchased a $100 Liberty Bond.

The Horticultural Society held the fair in conjunction with the Grange, October 24, 25 and 26.

On the 16th of January, 1918, the officers were installed in connection with the officers of Union Pomona Grange, in the Opera House. On the 20th of February occurred the 1000th regular meeting, in which the charter and elder members took an active part. Another $100 Liberty Bond was purchased this year.

At the first meeting in August it was voted to present the flag for salute at each meeting, and at the same time all information relative to the members of the Grange in the service of their country be given.

Uncanoonuc Grange has held 1,017 regular meetings (January 1, 1919) besides many specials, also field meetings at the farms and homes of the members. A number of prizes have been awarded for proficiency in literary and ritualistic work, and some of the past masters have installed the officers of this and other Granges in an exceptionally fine manner, unaided by the manual or notes.

Arbor Day and Children's Day have not infrequently been observed, and the anniversaries have generally been celebrated.

The Pomona Grange has been annually entertained, with possibly an exception, since its organization.

The calls of the sick, suffering and unfortunate members at home have not been unheeded, timely assistance rendered, and solicitations for aid in all parts of the country have not gone unanswered.

The total number of names on the roll book is 665. Many have taken cards and joined other Granges; some for various reasons have withdrawn; others have been suspended for non-payment of dues. The Grange has a membership at the present time (1919) of 188; of the charter members, six are alive, and four still connected with this Grange: George Pattee, Charles C. Hadley, Josephine Carlton, Sylvanus B. Gilchrist; George W. Hunkins, of Junior Grange; and Mrs. Hiram Hoitt, who withdrew some years since, is a resident of Manchester.

The Grange is entering the forty-fifth year of its existence, nearly half a century; what changes have taken place, not only in the Grange, but in the community and nation. Improvement, progress and reform are noted on every hand, but as we view the dim vista of the past, many of the early scenes and incidents of Uncanoonuc Grange are obscured. The wave of forgetfulness has long since dimmed many of the early events, but against the background stands out the sharp outline of the forms of some of the early members who strove, and by whose efforts the order is what it is today.

We would not be unmindful in the least of the memory of those brothers and sisters who have taken that step into the great beyond; recollections come back to us afresh, and we reverence and revere their memory, and the faithful record of their work.

The following is a list of the Past Masters of Uncanoonuc Grange and their year or years of service:

Joseph J. Poore,* 1874-75
John K. Richardson,* 1876-77
George Pattee, 1878-79-80-94-95
Calvin Martin,* 1881-82
Abel M. Davis,* 1883
Andrew J. Hazen,* 1884
Henry Moore,* 1885
Albert Whittemore, 1886
James G. Taggart,* 1887
Gilman Woodbury,* 1888
Sylvanus B. Gilchrist, 1889-97
William U. Carlton,* 1890-91
George B. Stevens, 1892
Isaac J. Paige,* 1893
James H. Stiles,* 1896-1905
Arthur H. Parker, 1898-99
Frank A. Whipple, 1900-11
Charles A. Davis, 1901-02
William P. Hadley, 1903-04-10
B. Frank Davis, 1906-07-08
Carl B. Pattee, 1909-1912
Reuben W. Carlton, 1913
William F. Parker, 1914
Alexander Taylor, 1915
Percy A. Whipple, 1916-17
William Coburn, 1918
Willard Watson, 1919

JUNIOR GRANGE

Junior Grange, No. 150 was organized at Grasmere, then Goffstown Center, March 24, 1890. It was instituted by State Master Charles McDaniel, assisted by David G. Roberts of Uncanoonuc Grange. The idea of a second Grange in Goffstown to be located at Goffstown Center originated with D. G. Roberts, and it was largely through his instrumentality that it was organized.

Upon the application to the State Master for a second Grange in town, he was inclined to look with disfavor upon the project, but after some correspondence explaining the geographical location of the two villages and the accessibility of the Center to a number of people, anxious to join the order, he gave his consent.

Upon the night above stated, the State Grange was organized by State Master McDaniel, State Secretary N. J. Bachelder, assisted by William U. Carlton, Master and Fred K. Hazen, both of Uncanoonuc Grange, with the following charter members: Guy Roberts, Ned H. Roberts, L. R. Danforth,* A. W. Kidder, Arthur C. Spencer, Stephen Danforth,* Alfred Poore,* Albert S. Tirrell, Harry Kimball, William D. Hopkins,* G. F. Robertson,* R. T. S. Shepard,* William L. Roberts, E. C. Kimball, C. B. Moore,* B. F. Stevens,* John L. Whipple,* Francis O. Colby,* Orrin T. Clough,* Gilman F. Farley,* Charles Spencer,* Walter Woodbury, Leonard N. George,* Charles C. Greer,* Sarah J. Little,* Bertha Little,* Mary A. Danforth, Clara Sanford,* Delia Annis, Carrie Colby,* Mrs. W. C. Poore,* Julia Farley,* Mrs. R. T. S. Shepard,* Eliza Colby, Mrs. G. F. Robertson, Mrs. Orrin T. Clough, Mrs. H. Roberts, Carrie Tirrell, Ethel Kimball, Blanche Whipple, Grace Poore, Clara Greer, Mary Danforth, Gertrude Shepard, Edna Cheney, Mary J. Roberts, Susie Roberts, Mrs. Henry L. Kimball, W. C. Poore,* and Jane Hopkins.*

The officers were installed the same evening by State Secretary N. J. Bachelder, assisted by David G. Roberts: Master, Gilman F. Farley;* Overseer, Alfred Poore;* Lecturer, Sarah J. little ;* Steward, Harry H. Kimball; Assistant Steward, Guy Roberts; Chaplain, L. R. Danforth;* Treasurer, B. F. Stevens;* Secretary, Carrie Tirrell; Gate Keeper, R. T. S. Shepard;* Ceres, Mrs. Julia Farley;* Pomona, Mrs. Eliza Colby; Flora, Mrs. Jane Hopkins;* Lady Assistant Steward, Blanche Whipple.

It was unanimously voted that the name of the organization should be Junior Grange, and that fifty names should fill the charter; the number of the Grange was 150, and the dues $1 per annum. The Grange worked under a dispensation from the 27th of March to the 12th of April following, when their charter was granted.

Of the original charter members twenty-five have passed away, and only four of the first officers are alive: Mr. and Mrs. Guy Roberts, Harry Kimball and Carrie Tirrell.

Junior Grange enjoyed an unusual degree of prosperity in maintaining its membership. At the end of the first quarter the membership had increased to 75; at the end of its first year to 91; at the end of its second year to 105.

On the twenty-fifth anniversary the Grange had a membership of 150, and 341 were borne upon the roll book. Past Masters: G. F. Farley, 1890-1-2; D. G. Roberts, 1893; Charles H. Martin, 1894-5; W. H. Poore, 1896-7; Albert S. Tirrell, 1898; Frank P. Stevens, 1899; G. Ernest Whitney, 1900; Bert D. Page, 1901-2; E. B. Swett, 1903; L. H. Putnam, 1904-5; Bert G. Tirrell, 1906-7; Mrs. Albert S. Tirrell, to September, 1908; H. M. Beard, remainder of 1908-9; Mrs. Bert D. Page, 1910; George H. Bartlett, 1911; Alfred W. Poore, 1912; Walter Newton, 1913-14; Charles Eugene Putnam, 1915; John W. Tarr, 1916; Walter Woodbury, 1917; Bert D. Page, 1918-19.

Gilman F. Farley, the first Master, held the office three years, the longest term of any Master; Charles H. Martin served as Chaplain fourteen years; and G. Ernest Whitney as Treasurer twelve years. Of those who have attained to official positions in the higher departments of the order, Bert D. Page and David G. Roberts each served as District Deputy; Henry M. Beard as Master of Hillsborough County Pomona Grange and an officer of the State Grange; William W. Merrill, Master of Union Pomona Grange; Edwin C. Goodwin, Chaplain of Union Pomona Grange ten years; and other members have held minor offices at times in both Hillsborough and Union Pomona Granges, secretary, lecturer, etc.

Junior Grange conferred the third degree before the State Grange 1891-92, and at that time the Grange laid claim to the fact, that they were so proficient in degree work that they could creditably exemplify the three degrees with three distinct degree staffs at the same time. This Grange has not been lacking in securing prizes at the State Grange. Agricultural fairs were holden in 1891 and 1892, 1915 and 1916. Arbor Day has not infrequently been observed, and Children's Day annually by appropriate exercises.

The Pomona Grange has been entertained each year by Junior Grange, and has contributed largely toward rendering the meetings instructive and interesting. Fraternally the Grange has lent a helping hand to the sick, distressed and unfortunate, aiding in many ways, planting, harvesting, etc., and rendering minor assistance in accordance with the Scripture: "In not letting the left hand know what the right hand doeth."

The tenth, fifteenth, twentieth and twenty-fifth anniversaries were celebrated either by day or evening exercises.

Without attempting a complete necrology of Junior Grange, we cannot forbear making mention of some of those older members of the order so enthusiastic for its success. Perhaps it may be said that time in its hurried march looks briefly at imagined immortalities.

We realize that the place of a deceased member is soon filled by another, and the work of activity and energy in the Grange as elsewhere goes on. Notwithstanding this, the memory of influential persons and their works do follow them. We revere and reverence the memory of some of those former members, former citizens of Goffstown, some of them descendants of its earliest inhabitants: Alfred Poore, Benjamin F. Stevens, Gilman F. Farley, William D. Hopkins, Gilman F. Robertson and Orrin T. Clough in their respective vocations, persons of trust and responsibility. Rev. L. R. Danforth, the first chaplain of the Grange, as he went in and out before the people of his congregations, left an unfading influence; Leonard N. George, who contributed his services to his country in an hour of trial; David G. Roberts, an efficient member; Charles Spencer; Charles Greer, that youthful member whose loss the Grange was first called to mourn, and many others, whom time and space forbid to mention, were important factors in Junior Grange.

GOFFSTOWN UNITY CLUB

In the latter part of the year 1897, Miss Annie M. Kendall, Mrs. Nellie S. Kendall, Mrs. Cora M. Rowell, Mrs. Grace P. Wentworth and Mrs. May F. Sumner, at the home of Mrs. Adah C. Simons in Riverdale, met Mrs. Alfred Lincoln, a member of the Norumbega Club of Charlestown, Mass., who explained to them the method of forming a club, the advantages to be derived therefrom, and such other things as pertained thereto.

On the 15th of January, 1898, a club was organized at the residence of Miss Annie M. Kendall, under the name of the Goffstown Unity Club, with the following named charter members: Annie M. Kendall, Helen B. Carr, May F. Sumner, Carrie E. Hoyt, Adah C. Simons, Nellie S. Kendall, Mary Belle Bartlett, Cora M. Rowell, M. Etta Hadley,* Mary A. Warren, Grace P. Wentworth* and Myra Knowlton. The object of the club was to promote the social and literary interests of Goffstown.

The first officers were: Annie M. Kendall, President; Helen B. Carr, Vice-President; May F. Sumner,Secretary; Carrie E. Hoyt, Treasurer; Louisa Whipple, Pianist.

The executive committee consisted of the first four named, together with Grace P. Wentworth,* Mary A. Warren and Adah C. Simons. A constitution and set of by-laws were soon adopted, and on the 15th of June following, the club was federated.

The club has been of especial advantage not only from a social and literary point of view, but also materially. Its meetings have been well attended during its existence of over twenty-two years, and instructive programs have been presented. Literary and able lecturers have entertained the club, also distinguished musicians. Materially the club has been the means of the beautification and adornment of the cemeteries to the extent that the West Lawn is one of the finest in the state.

Many attractive places about the town have received further beautification on account of suggestions made by members of the club. The Past Presidents are: Mrs. Annie K. Morgan, Mrs. Bessie B. Parker, Mrs. May F. Sumner, Mrs. Edna V. Hadley, Mrs. Welthea F. Stark, Mrs. Alice M. Wildey, Mrs. Adah C. Simons, Miss Bertha M. Pattee, Mrs. Mary F. Bixby,* Mrs. Anna I. Blaisdell,* Mrs. M. Jeannette Morse, Miss Mary C. Gerould, Mrs. Anna L. Simons, Mrs. Isabel T. Dow, Miss Carrie E. Hoyt, Mrs. Janet Lucian, Mrs. Eda Marden, Mrs. Edith P. Hadley, Miss Ethel C. Stone, Mrs. Mae B. Varney, Miss Mary A. Warren, Mrs. Clara A. Robinson.

Page 1 of two pages

       

ALHN Hillsborough County


Email Kathy Chapter 42
History of Goffstown
Hillsborough County
ALHN-New Hampshire
Created May, 2002
Copyright 2002