From The Gazetteer of the State of New Hampshire (in three parts), compiled from the best authorities, by Eliphalet Merrill and the Late Phinehas Merrill, Esq., Printed by C. Norris & Co., Exeter, NH, �1817, pg. 79
Part Two of Gazetteer:
AMHERST - formerly called Souhegan West, was originally granted by Massachusetts and is a pleasant township in Hillsborough county, incorporated in 1762. Its present population consists of 1,554 inhabitants. Bounded by the river Merrimack on the E., S. by Hollis, W. by Milford, and on the N. by Mount-Vernon and New-Boston, in lat. 42 � 54'N. containing 22,435 acres, 350 of which are water. Babboosuck pond, of 300 acres extent, lies in the N.E. corner of this town. English pond to the N.W. is 160 rods in length and 100 in width, its waters falling into the Babboosuck. Souhegan river flows through Amherst on the S. and receives the waters of Beaver brook coming from Mount-Vernon. Milford and Mount-Vernon were formerly component parts of Amherst, from which they were severed, the former in 1794, and the latter in 1803. The centre of the town is a level plain of about a half a mile�s extent, equi distant from the four cardinal points, on which a very pleasant village is erected. Here are a meeting house, a court house, jail, school house several good mill sites, on which are 3 corn mills, 5 sawmills 1 mill for dressing cloth, 4 trading stores, 3 cotton and wool manufactories, and 1 printing establishment. The Aurean Academy, discontinued for lack of funds, was incorporated here in 1790, and was an useful and flourishing institution. A public school was commenced here 1807 , and, with intervals, has continued ever since. The town is divided into 9 school districts having 8 school houses. That which is central is situated near the meeting house and is a large and commodious building. The first settlers of Amherst were from Billerica and Middletown, (Mass.) 1734. In 1752, it had 7 garrisoned houses resorted to by the inhabitants in times of difficulty and danger. The first ordained minister was Rev. D. Wilkins, who visited this place when it consisted of only 14 families. He was settled in 1741, his being the third ordination in the county of Hillsborough. Mr. W. died 1783. The present pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Barnard, was settled March 3d, 1780. the number of deaths here for 33 years subsequent to his ordination was 529. The following instances of longevity have occurred within these last 20 years. Deacon Joseph Boutelle, aged 90 years, and Rebecca, aged 91, died in 1795. In 1803, died widow Grace Town, aged 96 in 18035, widow Hannah Lovejoy in the 102nd year of her age leaving descendants to the number of 330. In 1806 widow Sarah Burdet, aged 94 in 1808, widow Hannah Boutelle, 95; in 1809 widow Sarah Stuart, aged 92; in 1811, widow Lucy Ellsworth in the 90th year of her age. Since the year 1803, have died twenty-five persons, the aggregate of whose ages amount to 2041, making an average of more than 81 years to each. The oldest native of the town now residing here, was born in the year 1742. So prompt was this town in furnishing men for the military service of the United States that previous to the first of April 1777, 120 persons had engaged, of whom were 2 colonels, 1 major, 5 captains, and 9 subaltern officers.
The second New Hampshire turnpike passes from Claremont to this town.
Submitted by T.C. Parziale 5/30/00