From The Gazetteer of the State of New Hampshire (in three parts), compiled from the best authorities, by Eliphalet Merrill and the Late Phinehas Merrill, Esq., Printed by C. Norris & Co., Exeter, NH, �1817, pg 85 - 86
Part Two of Gazetteer:
BEDFORD - in Hillsborough county, situated on the W. side of Merrimack river, incorporated in 1750, with a population in 1810, of 1296 souls. Bounded N. by Goffstown, E. by Merrimack river, S. by Merrimack and Amherst and New Boston. It contains 20,660 acres. Piscataquog river falls into the Merrimack at the N.E. corner of Bedford. Here is a society of Congregationalists, over which Rev. D.M. Gregore was ordained pastor 1804. Rev. J. Houston was their former minister. Here is also a society of Baptists. "Near the ferry from Manchester to Bedford, in the spring 1760, were taken 2500 shad fish at one draught of a nett." (NH Gaz.) Here are a meeting house a cotton factory, 6 grain mills, 8 sawmills, 1 clothier�s mill, 1 carding machine and 5 trading stores.
Submitted by T.C. Parziale 5/30/00