FRANCESTOWN

From The Gazetteer of the State of New Hampshire (in three parts), compiled from the best authorities, by Eliphalet Merrill and the Late Phinehas Merrill, Esq., Printed by C. Norris & Co., Exeter, NH, �1817, pg 132-134

Part Two of Gazetteer:

FRANCESTOWN - a town in Hillsborough county, bounded N. by Deering, E. by New Boston, S. by Lyndeborough and Greenfield, and W. by Greenfield, and containing 18,760 acres, of which 660 are water. In 1810 its population was 1,451.

This town derived its name from Frances, the wife of Gov. John Wentworth. It was incorporated in 1772, and then included what was once called New-Boston-Addition, together with a part of society Land and Lyndeborough. The soil here is uneven and stony, but its qualities are warm and moist. There are some small intervales which are very productive. The original growth here was beech birch, red oak, maple, hemlock, and pine. There are many springs in the town, and on its easterly side is Haunted Pond, about 300 rods long and 225 wide; and also Pleasant pond, about 350 rods square, in which the 4th branch of Piscataqua river has its rise.

The highest land in this town is Crotched mountain, the summit of which is more than 600 feet above the plain in the centre of town. About half way up this mountain there is a small pond, always full and yet always of a shallow depth. One of the summits of this mountain is covered with woods, the other is almost a solid ledge of rocks, affording a very extensive prospect to the southwest.

The second N.H. turnpike passes through this town near its centre in a southerly direction. Another important road, leading form the southwesterly part of the state to Concord, crosses the turnpike in this town.

The first permanent settlement here was made about the year 1760, by one Carson, a Scotchman. In 1773, the inhabitants had so increased by emigration, chiefly from Dedham, (Mass.) that a Congregational church was gathered here by the Rev. Samuel Cotton, minister of Litchfield. It consisted at first of 18 members, and in 1792 of 148, since which time a large number has been added. No other religious society has ever existed in this town excepting a small one of Scotch Presbyterians, which in 1792, united with the Congregationalists. Rev. Moses Bradford is the first and only minister ever settled in this place. He was ordained in September, 1790, and to his exertions is the town in a great measure indebted for its respectable character and its prosperous condition. From its settlement to 1790, the whole number of deaths was about 100. From 1790 to May, 1814, the deaths amounted to 401, a large proportion of whom were infants. In 1812, thirty three persons died here of the dysentery; the whole number of deaths in that year was 45. Exclusive of the ordinary proportion of other mechanical business, there are here four large tanneries, a manufactory of musical instruments, and one of earthen ware. the compact part of the town consists of about 25 dwelling houses, with a handsome meeting house, several stores, etc. There are also 7 school houses. The school committee in March 1814, reported that exclusive of the small scholars who attend in the summer only, there were in these schools during the past winter, 450 scholars, of whom 82 were in the study of English grammar.

The farmers of this town have recently paid increased attention to the raising of sheep. The introduction of the merino breed has become an interesting and profitable concern. There are two flocks of sheep in this town, containing in them both more than 600. The agricultural and general condition of this place has of late been flourishing. A mail stage passes through Francestown twice a week to and from Boston. There are here two quarries of free stone, one in the easterly and one in the southerly part of the town. the former was discovered in 1813. It is not extensive, and has not been much worked. the latter is productive, and probably inexhaustible. It was first worked about ten years ago. Its color is white, mingled with a dark shade. It is easily manufactured with the saw or chisel, and is susceptible of a high polish. Although of a soft nature, it is very adhesive and heavy, 12 cubic feet weighing one ton. After it is prepared at the quarry, it is sold for $1,42 cts. per cubic foot. It is sued for hearths, stoves, etc. In several parts of this town, large rocks of a globular form are found directly poised on the surface of others. Curiosities of this kind, of which the cause is certainly mysterious, are common to many places in this state. Clay of a superior quality for bricks is found in large quantities in this town, and in some spots there have been seen strong indications of iron ore. Indeed several large pieces of good purity have been found.

Richard---------, who has long resided in this town, was captured by the Indians during the last French war in the year 1756. Although guarded by two warriors, he was able by superior strength and agility to effect his escape; but not without the loss of all his clothes. He wandered entirely naked between the lakes George and Champlain for six days eating nothing but berries and bark. To elude his pursuers he was obliged to swim across the Hudson river three times. He is now living in good health at the age of 77.

L.W.

Submitted by T.C. Parziale 5/30/00

Link to Home page         Link back to 1817 Gazetteer


Email Kathy Francestown
1817 Gazetteer
Hillsborough County
ALHN-New Hampshire
Created June 18, 2000
Copyright 2000