GOFFSTOWN

From The Gazetteer of the State of New Hampshire (in three parts), compiled from the best authorities, by Eliphalet Merrill and the Late Phinehas Merrill, Esq., Printed by C. Norris & Co., Exeter, NH, �1817, pg. 136

Part Two of Gazetteer:

GOFFSTOWN - in Hillsborough county, is situated on the westerly side of Merrimack river, it is bounded N. by Dunbarton, E. by Merrimack river, S. by Bedford, and W. by New Boston and part of Weare, and contains 29,170 acres. It was incorporated in 1761, and in 1810, contained 2,000 inhabitants. In the S.W. extremity of the town are two Unconoonock mountains, and in the S.E. part is the Amoskeag bridge and falls. Piscataquog river passes through this place. In 1771, Rev. Joseph Currier was settled here in the congregational order. Cornelius Waters and D.L. Morrill, have been his successors. There are in this town 2 religious societies, 1 meeting house 8 trading stores, 1 cotton factory containing about 30 spindles, 7 grain mills, 20 sawmills 2 clothing mills, and 2 carding machines.

Submitted by T.C. Parziale 5/30/00

Link to Home page         Link back to 1817 Gazetteer


Email Kathy Goffstown
1817 Gazetteer
Hillsborough County
ALHN-New Hampshire
Created June 18, 2000
Copyright 2000