From The Gazetteer of the State of New Hampshire (in three parts), compiled from the best authorities, by Eliphalet Merrill and the Late Phinehas Merrill, Esq., Printed by C. Norris & Co. , Exeter, NH, �1817, pg 145
Part Two of Gazetteer:
HILLSBOROUGH - a township in the county of that name, incorporated in 1772, and now containing 1,592 inhabitants; bounded N. by Bradford, E. by Henniker, S. by Deering and Antrim, and W. by Windsor and a part of Washinton comprising an area of 27,320 acres, 500 of which are water. There are several ponds in this town, the largest of which Lion pond, is about 300 rods long and 200 wide. Contoocook river waters this town, and the 4th N.H. turnpike passes through it. There is here a small village, containing 10 or12 dwelling houses, 4 grist mills, 6 sawmills, 1 factory, 1 carding machine and 1 distillery. The Rev. J. Barnes was ordained here in 1773, Rev. Stephen Chapin and Seth Chapin the present minister have been his successors.
Submitted by T.C. Parziale 5/30/00