From The Gazetteer of the State of New Hampshire (in three parts), compiled from the best authorities, by Eliphalet Merrill and the Late Phinehas Merrill, Esq., Printed by C. Norris & Co., Exeter, NH, �1817, pg 157-158
Part Two of Gazetteer:
MANCHESTER - a township in Hillsborough county, situated on the eastern bank of Merrimack river. It was incorporated in 1752, by the name of Deeryfield, and in 1810, received its present name. It is bounded N. and E. by Chester, S. by Londonderry, and W. by Merrimack river, which separates it from Bedford and Goffstown, comprising an area of 15,071 acres, 550 of which are water. Massabesick pond lies partly in this town. Amuskeag falls and M�Gregore�s bridge are on the Merrimack between this town and Goffstown. Blodget�s canal is cut round the falls on the Manchester side. Through the lower part of the town Cohass brook flows from Massabesick pond to Merrimack river, and a canal is projected for the purpose of making this canal navigable for boats, rafts, etc. Manchester has 1 meeting house, several mills, and a cotton and woolen factory.
This town is the residence of Maj. Gen. John Stark, the hero of Bennington. There is an anecdote related of this venerable man, which is not generally known, and for that reason may not be unacceptable here. While hunting when a young man with three companions on the banks of Baker�s river he was captured by a party of Indians. He immediately gave the alarm to his brother William, who was in a canoe at some distance and who thereby escaped. For giving this alarm the Indians treated him with great cruelty and carried him to their head quarters near Memphremagog lake. They then adopted him as a son and clothed him in fine robes. This early captivity, from which he soon escaped, qualified him for the duties of a partisan office in the succeeding war, from which station he was afterwards exalted to the rank of major general of the continental army.
Submitted by T.C. Parziale 5/30/00