From The Gazetteer of the State of New Hampshire (in three parts), compiled from the best authorities, by Eliphalet Merrill and the Late Phinehas Merrill, Esq., Printed by C. Norris & Co., Exeter, NH, �1817, pg 164
Part Two of Gazetteer:
MOUNT VERNON - in Hillsborough county, was incorporated in 1808, and contains 762 inhabitants. It is bounded N. by New Boston, E. by Amherst, S. by Milford, and W. by Lyndeborough, and contains 7,975 acres. This town is watered by Beaver brook, which has its source here, as also have several branches of sowhegan river. There is here a pleasant village containing a meeting house, 12 dwelling houses, 3 stores, etc and several mills. The 2d N.H. turnpike passes through this village. Rev. J. Bruce was settled here in 1785, and was succeeded in 1809, by Rev. S. Chapin the present pastor.
Submitted by T.C. Parziale 5/30/00