From The Gazetteer of the State of New Hampshire (in three parts), compiled from the best authorities, by Eliphalet Merrill and the Late Phinehas Merrill, Esq., Printed by C. Norris & Co., Exeter, NH, �1817, pg 170
Part Two of Gazetteer:
NEW IPSWICH - in Hillsborough county, was incorporated in 1762, and contains 1,395 inhabitants. It is bounded N. by Temple and Sharon, E. by Mason, S. by the line of Massachusetts, and W. by Rindge (in Cheshire county.) Its area is 20,260 acres. The west side of the town is watered by a branch of Contoocook river, and its east side by a branch of the Sowhegan river. One branch of the latter river rises in a pond in this town and another has its source on a mountain. The 3d N.H. turnpike passes through the centre of this town. There is here a handsome village, 2 meeting houses, an academy, 2 cotton and 2 woolen factories, an oil mill several grain and sawmills, 1 clothing mill, a carding machine, and 4 trading stores. Rev. S. Farrar was ordained here in 1760, and died in 1809, aged 71. He was succeeded by the Rev. R. Hall the present minister. Elder S. Parkhurst was settled here in 1814.
Submitted by T.C. Parziale 5/30/00