From The Gazetteer of the State of New Hampshire (in three parts), compiled from the best authorities, by Eliphalet Merrill and the Late Phinehas Merrill, Esq., Printed by C. Norris & Co., Exeter, NH, �1817, pg 178-179
Part Two of Gazetteer:
PETERBOROUGH - a township in the southwest part of Hillsborough county, lying about 25 miles west from the Connecticut and the same distance east from the Merrimack, was incorporated in 1760, and in 1810 contained 1,537 inhabitants; bounded N. by Hancock and Greenfield, E. by Greenfield and Temple S. by Sharon, and W. by Jaffrey and Dublin, comprising an area of 23,780 acres.
The surface of this town is mountainous, and its soil is enriched by numberous brooks and small streams, favorable to meadow and pasturage ground, and supplying many valuable mill seats. A principal branch of Contoocook river passes near the centre of this town, and also goose river flowing from Dublin and falling into the Contoocook at Smith�s mills. Near this junction is the principal village, which is much indebted for its origin and growth to the individual exertions of the Hon. S. Smith.
Here are about 25 dwelling houses, 2 stores, 3 cotton factories, a paper mill, an oil mill, grain mill, fulling mill, sawmill, carding machine, mechanic shops, etc. On the Contoocook in other parts of the town are 2 other cotton factories, a woolen factory, 2 grain mills and 2 sawmills.
Peterborough is one of the most considerable manufacturing towns in the state. No one has so many factories. The principal roads leading through the town are from Amherst to Keene, and from Hancock to New Ipswich. There is here 1 meeting house, in which Rev. J. Morrison was ordained in 1759. He was succeeded by Rev. D. Annan in 1779. Rev. E. Dunbar, the present minister, was settled in 1799.
Submitted by T.C. Parziale 5/30/00