From The Gazetteer of the State of New Hampshire (in three parts), compiled from the best authorities, by Eliphalet Merrill and the Late Phinehas Merrill, Esq., Printed by C. Norris & Co., Exeter, NH, �1817, pg 201
Part Two of Gazetteer:
TEMPLE - a township in Hillsborough county, was incorporated in 1768, and contains 941 inhabitants; bounded N. by Greenfield, E. by Lyndeborough and Wilton, S. by New Ipswich and Mason, and W. by Sharon and Peterborough, comprising 13,700 acres. Several streams which fall into Sowhegan river, rise among the mountains in the westerly part of this town. The principal road from Amherst to Peterborough passes through this town. There is here 1 congregational society and 1 meeting house, 4 grain mils, 3 sawmills, and 1 fulling mill.
Rev. S. Webster was ordained here in 1771, and Rev. Noah Miles, his successor, in 1779.
Submitted by T.C. Parziale 5/30/00