WEARE

From The Gazetteer of the State of New Hampshire (in three parts), compiled from the best authorities, by Eliphalet Merrill and the Late Phinehas Merrill, Esq., Printed by C. Norris & Co., Exeter, NH, �1817, pg 204-205

Part Two of Gazetteer:

WEARE - a township in Hillsborough county, was incorporated in 1764, and now contains 2,630 inhabitants; bounded N. by Hopkinton and Henniker, E. by Dunbarton and Goffstown, S. by New Boston, and W. by Deering and Francestown, comprising an area of 33,648 acres.

A principal branch of Piscataquog river passes through this town. Near the centre of Weare is Mount William. Rev. Amos Wood was ordained here in 1789, and was succeeded by Rev. John Cayford. Elders H. Buzzel and S. Tobie (Baptists,) and S. Streeter (an universalistic) at present officiate in this town.

There are here 5 religious societies and 3 meeting houses, 7 grain mills, 8 sawmills, 3 clothing mills, 1 cotton factory, 4 carding machines, 2 distilleries, 1 oil mill, and 5 trading stores.

Submitted by T.C. Parziale 5/30/00

Link to Home page         Link back to 1817 Gazetteer


Email Kathy Weare
1817 Gazetteer
Hillsborough County
ALHN-New Hampshire
Created June 18, 2000
Copyright 2000