CHAPTER XXV.
Page 3

PISCATAQUOG.--This village was a part of Bedford, and was joined to Manchester by annexation, in 1853. It comprises, in population, the principal part of Ward 7--which is entitled to one representative. The village is pleasantly situated on both banks of the Piscataquog river, from which it derives its name. It contains near 200 dwelling-houses, and about 1200 inhabitants. According to, the History of Bedford,

   "When the town was first laid out, and allotted to the proprietors, Lot No. 1. on the Piscataquog, containing 25 acres, now occupied by James Walker, was drawn to Gov. Belcher. No. 2, now belonging to the Amoskeag Land and Water Power Company was drawn to James Davenport. between these two lots and the range line at the head of the home lots extending west from nearly where the road now is, west and south of the Piscataquog river, including the mill privilege, and the most thickly settled part of the village, was lot No. 123 of the third division, containing, probably a hundred acres or mo[r]e. The records do not state to whom it was drawn. Next, south of that, extending from the range line to the river, was lot No. 73, drawn to "Madam Livingston." Home Lot No. 1, on the Merrimack river, south of the last named, was drawn to Jacob Griggs; No 2, to John Plympton; No. 3, to Habijah Savadge, Esq.; No. 4, to John Simpkins; No. 5, to Samuel Hollis; No. 6, to James Yeates; No. 7, to Israel Hubbard; which will probably be the extent of the village, south. The Island in the mouth of the Piscataquog, was drawn in the third division to Samuel Bass, as a meadow lot; and hence probably called "Bass Island."
   At this time, 1781, there were but three houses within the limits of the present village of Piscataquog, and one mill; and here the historian may well pause and look around to find the elements of its prosperity as a business and commercial place. A vast amount of white and hard pine, and white oak suitable for ship building, the facilities for rafting at the mouth of the river, and the increasing population of the surrounding country, crowned with the recent return of peace, permanently secured by the independence of the country, were the elements of its prosperity--but inactive and valueless, until acted on by a motive power.
   About this time, viz: in 1785, William Parker, in the language of his biographer, moved from Litchfield to Bedford, and built a small house ne[a]r where the school house in District No. 5, now stands, and worked at shoemaking. To his energy, enterprise, and perseverance, we are indebted for the foundation of this flourishing village; yet, as we shall hereafter see, others, emulous to equal him prosperity, as they were perhaps equal to him in enterprise, took up in his declining years, and carried out the great plan of prosperity which he had begun.
   The manufacturing operations at Manchester, likewise, have had a great influence in building up the Village, especially that part on the north side of the Piscataquog river, which now comprises one half of the whole number of dwelling houses, is the most compact, and bids fair increase more rapidly than the other part
   There are now in the village, two stores, two taverns, one mill, carried by water power, for grinding meal and plaster and manufacturing lumber, and one steam mill, two school houses, and one academy, and meeting house under the same roof. Its proximity to the growing city of Manchester, with which it is connected by the Granite Bridge, built in 1840 by an incorporated company, made free by a vote of the town of Bedford, and the city of Manchester, in 1848, renders it a desirable resort and pleasant retreat from the busy din of that city of spindles and sill afford some of the most pleasant country residences in the vicinity. The New Hampshire Central Railroad, intended to connect the Vermont Roads, by the way of Claremont, Bradford and Henniker, with the Lawrence Road, passes through the heart of the village, and by a bridge across the Merrimack, connects at present with the Concord, affording hereby increased facilities for communication with all parts of the country.
   The business of the place continued to increase, and in 1811, Wm. P. Riddle opened a store in the building opposite his present residence, and in company with William Parker, purchased the mills then owned by a Mr. Dow, and commenced the lumber trade in good earnest, sending down a vast amount of wood and lumber every year. The following year, 1812, boating on the Merrimack river was first extended up to this place, which for a number of years was the head of navigation on the Merrimack. During this year, Isaac Riddle then a successful merchant at the centre of the town, and Caleb Stark of Dunbarton, alike at that time friends of internal improvements, conceived the design, in connection with the recent improvement of the river by locks and the Middlesex canal, of navigating the river by boats. Accordingly they built a boat at Bedford Centre, and drew it a distance of three miles and a half, to the Merrimack river, with forty yoke of oxen, and there launched it amid the shouts of the multitude assembled to witness the novel scene, and named it the Experiment.
   It was loaded and navigated down the river, and through the Middlesex Canal, to Boston, where its arrival was hailed with cheers, the firing of cannon, and the following announcement in the Boston Centine [sic Centinel?].

"Arrived from Bedford, N H., Canal Boat, Experiment, Isaac Riddle, Capt. via Merrimack river and Middlesex canal."

This introduced a new era in the trade of the place, by increasing the facilities of tranaportation and reduction of freight on heavy articles. Previous to the commencement of boating, freight was eighteen dollars per ton, but after the boats began to run, it was first reduced to ten, and afterwards to four dollars per ton.

In 1816, finding his business so much increased, Wm. P. Riddle built a large store snd boating-house at Piscataquog bridge; and in order to facilitate his increasing boating business, in 1818 he built the locks at the mouth of the Piscataquog, and at one time it was seriously contemplated to unite the waters of the Merrimack and the Connecticut by a canal up the valley of the Piscataquog. Wm. Parker, Isaac Riddle, and Isaac Riddle and Sons, were the principal ones engaged in boating until the death of the former; after which, up to the time when the Railroad was built, boating was mostly carried on by Wm. P. Riddle.

In 1817, the firm of Isaac Riddle and Sons, was formed for mercantile boating, and manufacturing purposes, carrying on a very extensive business in various places, viz: Bedford centre, Piscataquog village, Souhegan village, Merrimack, and Boston.

The business of this firm in this place, amounted in a few years to $30,000, supplying by way of boating and trade, in conjunction with the other stores, the towns of Goffstown, Weare, Dunbarton, Hopkinton, Warner, Sutton, New London, Fishersfield, now Newbury: and probably more lumber has been boated and rafted from this landing, than upon all the rivers above Nashua.

In 1820, the year after the toleration act, so called, was passed by the Legislature, the inhabitants of the village took measures, to erect a meeting house, dividing the stock into shares, the principal part of which was owned by James Parker, and the heirs of the late Wm. Parker.

During this year, the bridge across the Piscataquog, was rebuilt, under the superintendence of W. P. Riddle.

The other traders in the place at diferent times have been, Thomas Parker, Riddle and Aiken, Charles Redfield, Ozias Silsbee, l. Riddle and Whittle, Wm. P. Riddle, Parker and Palmer, Kendrick and McGaw, Jonathan Palmer, James Walker, Abbot and Melvin, Aaron Gage, Ridder and Rundlett, Moor and French, Wm. French, French and Barr, Wm. and J. N. French, F. G. Stark, James Walker, R. V. Greely, James Wilson, A. W. Dickey.

In 1843, the meeting-house was purchased by an association of gentlemen, the upper part remodeled, and converted into convenient rooms for an Academy, which has very ably sustained itself without funds, under the instruction of Hiram Wason, who continued in it about a year; and Benjamin F. Wallace, under whose instruction it has been, since March, 1845, with the exception of about a year, while under the care of the Rev. Amos Abbott. A good apparatus has been furnished the Academy by the liberality of the ladies and gentlemen of the village.

This place has been probably the greatest depository of h[o?]ps, for inspection and boating, of any place in the state,--Gen. Riddle having inspected and forwarded to market, either by purchase or on freight, four or five hundred thousand pounds in a year. A great number of sleepers have also been furnished to various railroads in the country from this place, and even sleepers have been exported by some of the business men of this place to Cuba, in the West Indies.

Next to Moor, a Mr. Dow owned the mills in this place; they were afterwards owned by Thoma Parker, Buzell & Wm. Parker, Wm. Parker & Isaac Riddle, until they were again carried off by a freshet. They were again rebuilt by Kendall & Gage, and sold to David Hamblett, who carried on a large business in grain, meal, plaster, and manufacturing lumber, until his death in 1848; and there is still a good business done there.

This village, now belonging to the city of Manchester, will in a very few years cease to be known by its present name. In fact, when the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company shall put their lands into the market, upon the west side of the river, and shall throw across the Merrimack one or more bridges, then Piscataquog and Amoskeag Villages will become Manchester west of the Merrimack, and their present distinctive names will pass away.

Identified with the origin and growth of Piscataquog, and in fact with the business of this entire section of country, and worthy a more particular notice in this connection, are the names of Matthew Patten, William Parker and Isaac Riddle.

HON. MATTHEW PATTEN.--This gentleman was born in Ireland, May 19, 1719, and was the son of John Patten. His father emigrated to this country in 1728.

In 1738, he moved to Souhegan East, now Bedford, where he settled as a farmer, upon the plains, and with his sons made the second clearing in town. I am not able to discover where Mr. John Patten spent his time from 1728 until he came to Souhegan. Wherever it was, his son spent it to good advantage, for in the season he was wont to go to Londonderry and work for his board with his uncle McMurphy, for the privilege of his uncles instruction of evenings and other leisure time. In this way, upon coming to Souhegan, he possessed a good education for that time--could write a good hand, and was the only surveyor in the region, nearer than Dunstable. With these qualifications, he soon had to do the business of the region, in the way of surveying, making deeds, contracts and the like. Matthew Patten married Elizabeth, daughter of John McMurphy, Esq., of Londonderry. He was a very methodical man, and kept a diary, in which all his transactions were placed down with the utmost minuteness, as will have been seen from the extracts from it in this work. At the age of thirty-two, in 1751, he received from Gov. Benning Wentworth a commission, as Justice of the Peace. This was a compliment to him, as a few people out of the circle of personal friends and favorites, received a commission as provincial magistrate, at so young an age. From this time Mr. Patten transacted most of the business of a magistrate, in all this region, often trying causes, civil and criminal in New Boston, Goffstown, Derryfield, Merrimack and Litchfield, besides sitting in the Court of Sessions at Amherst, for the county. Entries were made in his journal of all such treats. Some of them are very amusing. Under date of June 1, 1761, is the following entry:

"I fined Mr. Loggan 16s for swearing one profane oath in Derry field."

There is no means of coming at Mr. Patten's scale of fines, but it is to be presumed that Mr. Loggan was fined for swearing a very big oath, as the very next day there is the following entry:

"2d, I fined James Steel 4s for swearing four profane oaths in Derryfield."

Mr. Patten was one of the leading men in obtaining the charter of the town of Bedford, which was granted in 1750, and for twenty consecutive years, from 1752, he was chosen clerk of the town, for ten years during the same time, from 1759 to 1772; was chosen selectman of the town, and for twelve years, from 1783 until his death in 1795, was chosen treasurer of the town. These facts show the unlimited confidence that was placed in him by his fellow townsmen. He took an early and earnest part in the cause of the Revolution, and was elected to the County Congress at Amherst. as the delegate from Bedford, in May, 1775. He was elected by that Congress as one of the County Committee for the trial of causes and exhibition of difficulties, and soon after was chosen by the town as one of the Committee of Safety for Bedford, in obedience to the order of the Congress at Exeter. In 1776, he was chosen as the member of the State Committee of Safety for the County of Hillsborough. In this office, he was particularly active, to the discomfiture of the plans and practice of the tories in this section of the country. In 1778, he was chosen Counsellor for the County of Hillsborough. In every position through our struggle for independence, Mr. Patten took a prominent and active part, and in connexion [sic] with Col. Goffe, contributed greatly of his time and money towards forwarding the patriot cause. With a large family, and at an advanced age, he could not enter upon active military life; but in enlisting troops, furnishing them with arms and equipments, and his judicious advice, no man did more than he in this section of the state. Besides, three of his family, John and Robert, his sons, and John Dobbin, his hired man, entered the army at the firing of the first gun at Lexington. John died in the service. After the Revolution was over, Mr. Patten was appointed Judge of Probate for the County of Hillsborough under the Constitution of 1784. He was particularly qualified for the office, as for years, he had been engaged in the settlement of estates in this region. He performed the duties of his office most acceptably until 1789, when being 70 years of age, his commission expired by constitutional limit.

Mr. Patton died suddenly, August 27, 1795, aged 76 years. On that day, he carried some refreshments into his field to his workmen, who were mowing; after which he sat down to rest himself under a tree. Soon after, the attention of his workmen was attracted to him, when it was found that he was dead. He had expired without a struggle or a groan.

WILLIAM PARKER, ESQ.--The History of Bedford, has the following sketch of the life of this gentleman;

   "This gentleman, a native of Litchfield, moved to this town in 1775. He had been in the Revolutionary service, and was stationed one winter in Charlestown, on Winter Hill. He built a small house, which stood near the school-house No. 6; worked first at shoemaking, and there his oldest son and second child was born. While engaged there, he used to walk out about twilight at evening, and seat himself on the side-hill, near the present mansion-house, and there he would contemplate the future prospect. It was then all woods, there being only one house at the Mills and one where Deacon McQuesten lives, and another, east of James Harvel's on the intervale. While sitting there he had a view of the travel from Concord to Boston, and also down the Mast Road, turning off each way to Concord, and Boston. Some little lumber laid on the landing, on a little spot cleared off to roll in masts. Here it occurred to him that some day it would become a place of business. The land was owned by old Mr. Samuel Moor. He thought, if he was able he would purchase an acre, so as to command the four corners where he built his tavern house, where his stable stood, where his store stood, where his house now stands. Accordingly he applied to Moor, to know what he would take for an acre of land, to let him select it where he chose. Mr. Moor would sell on this condition, one acre for $100 and a pair of calf skin boots. Parker wanted the land, but he was poor and did not know how to raise the money. He went to Amos Martin, and offered him one half in common, if he would help him to buy the acre. Martin at first agreed to do so, but on reflection, he thought the land too high and backed out. Not so with Parker. He persevered, closed the bargain, took his deed, and paid promptly, according to his agreement. He moved the little house he had built, near the school house, to the spot where the tavern now stands, added a little to it, and resumed the business of shoe making, which he now united with a little store of spirits and tobacco.
   As his business increased, he took an apprentice; laid up money; was soon able to purchase, in his way, about six or eight thousand feet of board, at $4 per 1000; rafted and sent them to Newburyport; sold for $8; made a handsome profit; laid out the money in the purchase of more boards, which he sent off with equal success. And here was the starting point in his lumber trade, that brought him so much property. In this way he added to his acres and added to his trade, and in a few years found him in possession of a store of goods.
   He soon became popular as an honest trader, and this multiplied his customers. All this time his tavern was open to travellers, and being a central place he had as much company as he could accommodate; and money was coming in from all quarters.
   He always paid punctually; and in this way he raised his credit in Boston, so that be could get trusted for any quantity of goods. "I have known," says his son-in-law, "his creditors, when settling up his bills where he purchased his West India goods, to hand him at the close $50," no doubt to retain his custom.
   In 1796 or 1797 he built his large tavern house, and added to his store--his business all the time increasing. He established his brother-in-law, Wm. Parker, in trade in West Goffstown--he was known as "Farmer Bill." That being a good place to get lumber in exchange for goods, they soon became wealthy."

ISAAC RIDDLE., Esq.--According to the History of Bedford, in the year 1737, three brothers, Hugh, Gawn and Robert, came to this country from Coleraine, county of Londonderry, in the North of Ireland. They first settled in Londonderry, N. H., and removed to Bedford, N. H., in 1748. The same bark that conveyed the brothers across the ocean, brought also Mr. John Bell and family, among whom was a daughter Mary, then fourteen years of age. She subsequently married Gawn Riddell, and their fifth child was Isaac, the subject of this sketch.

The education of Isaac Riddle was acquired not from books, but from intercourse with mankind, guided by early parental training. When only seventeen years of age, he enlisted in Col. Nichols's regiment, and did military duty at the important post of West Point, in the year 1780.

On the 10th of June, 1783, Mr. Riddle became of age, with about fifty dollars in his pocket, mostly money saved from his earnings during military service. He went to Newburyport to purchase a stock of goods. That place was then the market for all this section of the country; the goods were transported on drays, or dray carts, drawn by one horse, or two in tandem style, as the baggage wagon or light cart was not in use. Occupying for a storehouse the front room of his mothers dwelling, trade increased until he was able to commence the manufacture of potash. But the funds were wanting to purchase a new kettle at an expense of thirty-five dollars. Emboldened by conscious integrity, without money or city acquaintance, he started for Boston. On arriving at Medford, he was met by Maj. John Pinkerton, who was a man of the same stamp, the pioneer of trade in Derry, who gave him a line of introduction. The manufacture of potash proved to be a lucrative business. It was taken to Boston by ox teams, and bartered as article of export, for imported goods.

After some years had elapsed, Mr. Riddle purchased a tract of wild land, at Bedford Centre, and built a spacious farmhouse, and in 1788, he was united in marriage to Miss Ann Aiken. She was a woman well fitted to take the charge of a household in those troublous times, when the fathers were all minute men. To the kindest sympathy she enforced that strict unhesitating obedience, which she considered the foundation of all success in the education of children.

By indomitable energy, and perseverance in business, Mr. Riddle added farm to farm, and made the purchase of lands in most of the surrounding towns. His house became literally a home for ministers, strangers, and a large circle of acquaintance. He presented to the town of Bedford, the land for the central graveyard, and by his decided generosity in performing acts of kindness, he gained the respect of a wide-spread community. His fellow-townsmen elected him to some of the highest offices in their gift. He was Justice of the Peace "quorum unus," and Representative to the State Legislature. Often called upon to render pecuniary assistance, many instances are rendered worthy of note. Judge Eben'r Webster of Salisbury, when on on [sic] his way to Amherst, to attend County Court, usually passed the night at his house. On one occasion he spoke of his embarrassment on account of his son Daniel, then in college, and asked assistance, which was promptly rendered by the loan of money. Being one of the first stockholders in the Concord Bank the officers often made application to him for aid in order to meet the exigencies of the times. Such calls were effectually answered, he often being obliged to take a journey to Portsmouth, and obtain the money in his private capacity.

In 1806, Mr. Riddle was married to Margaret McGaw, daughter of Jacob McGaw, Esq., of Merrimack, his first wife having died in consequence of having been thrown from a horse.

Not content with his limited operations in business, he purchased an extensive tract of land at Souhegan, (Merrimack) in the year 1807, which was afterwards called Riddle's Village, and built factories for the manufacture of cotton, nails and wool.

In 1811, he superintended the building of the locks and canals for the Union Lock and Canal Company. The funds expended in building this canal were raised by lottery managed by gentlemen from Concord.

According to the History of Bedford, in 1812 he conceived the design of navigating the river by boats, in connection with the recent improvement of the river by locks and the Middlesex Canal. The landing at West Manchester, near Piscataquog bridge, was for many years the head of navigation in the Merrimack river. In 1815, it was extended to Concord, mainly by the enterprise of John L. Sullivan, Esq.

The first canal boat that ever floated in the river was built by Mr. Riddle, in connection with Caleb Stark of Dunbarton. It was built on the bank in front of his house in Bedford, and named the "Experiment." The occasion was one of no ordinary interest. All passers-by gazed at the Newburyport architect with antediluvian wonder. Launching day, clothed with so much novelty, drew crowds of people from both sides of the river. The boat was drawn a distance of three miles by forty yoke of oxen, to Basswood landing, where amid the shouts of the multitude, it glided off upon the water, destined to lead the line of prosperous activity until the iron horse, with its burning breath, should sweep all minor improvements off the track. It was loaded, and went down the river through the Middlesex Canal to Boston, where its arrival from a distant part of New Hampshire, was received with loud cheers and the firing of cannon.

Large contracts for lumber were furnished by Mr. Riddle, and sent from the landing at West Manchester to build many of the famous bridges in Massachusetts. With his usual method of despatch, he sent off the lumber employed in building the Essex Merrimack Bridge at Newburyport.

Owing to the bad state of the Pawtucket Canal, near Lowell, the rafts were delayed; forthwith he notified the Company that they had forfeited their Charter. The case was litigated in the Supreme Court for years and according to the Massachusetts Reports, he was awarded heavy damages.

In 1814, a public call was made by John T. Gilman, then Governor of New Hampshire, for volunteers of that class of citizens who were exempt from military duty in the ranks of the militia, to form themselves into companies for home defence, in case of sudden invasion. The call was responded to by a veteran band of men, numbering about sixty, of fifty years of age and upwards, under the command of Capt. Isaac Riddle.

The firm of Isaac Riddle and Sons was formed in 1817. The business of this firm in West Manchester, in conjunction with their other stores, supplied by way of boating and trade many of the towns in New Hampshire and Vermont. And there probably has been more lumber boated and rafted from this landing, than upon all the river above Nashua. About this time, an incident occurred which is still cherished in grateful remembrance. When Mr. Riddle was returning from "Pembroke Muster" he saw a ferry-boat nearing the fatal plunge at Hooksett Falls, crowded with people. Without a moment's pause, he sprung from his chaise, plunged into the stream, and, when all were expecting instant death, his courageous arm caught the rope attached to the boat, and thus saved over thirty valuable lives.

Mr. Riddle's second wife died Dec. 18, 1816, being respected for her piety and true worth. In 1820, he resigned in a measure, the care of his extensive business and property to his sons, and was married to Mrs. Mary Vinal of Quincy, Mass. She was an accomplished lady, belonging to one of the best families in the state, being a sister of Ex-Governor Lincoln and Capt. Lincoln, one of the party that destroyed the tea in Boston harbor in 1776. Mrs. Riddle reckoned, among her treasures the axe which her brother used to sunder the "memorable chests of tea."

About the time of Mr. Riddle's last marriage he removed to Quincy Point, Mass., and built a spacious mansion, where in the sunshine of earthly prosperity, he passed the remainder of his life. He died suddenly from the effects of a slight wound received at the time his factory was burnt at Souhegan. His remains were brought to Bedford, and deposited in the family tomb, which he had just completed.

HALLSVILLE.--This is a village that was started about 1840, on the road leading to Manchester Centre, just below where it is crossed by Amoskeag Brook. When the Amoskeag Company first commenced operations on the east side of the river, they had secured most of the land on in the immediate neighborhood. Not placing their lands in the market, or holding them at prices beyond the means of many, certain villages grew up outside of the lands owned by the Company, where people could purchase lands at ordinary prices. Hallsville was thus built up and at one time had quite a flourishing business, there being a wholesale and two retail stores, and a tavern in it. In fact for a time, certain people thought it bid fair to retain its business, and invested their money in real estate, but to no great advantage, as the trade has left the village, and real estate bears no higher value than other agricultural lands in the suburbs of a thriving city. It received its name from Joseph B. Hall who owned a large portion of the land in that neighborhood

JANESVILLE.--This was another village built up in the same manner as Hallsville. It is situated on Mile Brook, near to where that crosses Bridge street. In the course of improvement this village has almost become united with the city proper, and will soon be part and parcel of it. Janesville received its name from Mrs. Jane Southwark, wife of Taylor M. Southwark, whose maiden name was Jane Young, and who inherited the land upon which the village was built.

TOWLESVILLE.--Down the Mile Brook betwixt Janesville, and the Amoskeag Company's land, and extending south east on the old Falls road, is Towlesville, a village built up in the same manner as Hallsville, and Janesville. This received its name from Mr. Hiram Towle, who owned most of the land on which the village is built. In this village upon Concord and Hanover streets extended, are some of the neatest dwellings in the city, and shortly the village will be but a part of the city proper. In fact, in a very few years, these localities, Hallsville, Janesville, and Towlesville, will cease to be known as such, and their localities will be merely matters of history.

MOOR'S VILLAGE--This village is situated on both banks of the Cohas near its junction with the Merrimack. It has been a village of some note for many years. It was originally known as "Goffe's Mills," and subsequently as "Goffe's Falls." It received its first name from Col. John Goffe, who settled there in 1734. It took the name of Moor's Village after the mills and Goffe farm passed into the hands of Capt. Samuel Moor, who married a daughter of Col. Goffe. It has been a place of considerable business, the water power being the best upon the Cohas, and the mills having been operated by men of energy and enterprise. The manufacture of timber has been prosecuted to a large extent, while the other mills have always done a good business. A public house was long maintained by Capt. Joseph Moor, who was well known under the designation of "Landlord Moor." A machine for carding wool was started here in 1817, by Mr. Jacob Brown, now of this city. The machine was built by Messrs. Golding and Knowles, of Chelmsford, and cost Mr. Brown $500. The first rolls were manufactured the 3d day of June, 1817. In 1820, Mr. Brown, sold his interest to Mr. John Calef, who has carried on the business of carding and dressing cloth since that time. Mr. Brown moved from here to Vermont in 1820, but not liking his position there, in about six months, he returned to Manchester, and erected a clothing mill at the Harvey privilege.

Mr. Calef having enlarged the mill purchased of Brown, in 1832 commenced the manufacture of satinets. The satinet mill is now operated by Mr. Peters.

A store was started here about 1826, or 1827, by Messrs. Franklin and Reuben Moor, subsequently it was carried on by Joseph, Charles, and Stephen Moor. These gentlemen had an extensive trade. Captain Moses Fellows carried on the manufacture of shoes very extensively in this village some years past, manufacturing about 150,000 pairs annually, and giving employment to a large number of workmen. He carried on a store usually in connexion [sic] with the shoe business. Moor's village comprises School District No. 4, and contains about a dozen houses, and near 100 inhabitants. It is about four miles from the City Hall, and must from its position, and facilities, become a place of considerable importance in the way of manufactures.

TOWN FARMS.

OLD TOWN FARM.--This farm was bought of Mr. Moses Davis, for the poor of the town. It contains 100 acres and cost $4000. It was upon the old road to Deer Neck on the south west side of Oak Hill, but is now upon Bridge street. The poor of the town were kept upon this farm until the purchase of the New Town Farm.

NEW TOWN OR CITY FARM.--This was the well-known Stevens Farm, and lies upon the Mammoth Road, being the old Tavern Stand of Capt. Ephraim Stevens, Jr. It passed into the hands of Hon. F. G. Stark, and was sold by him to the City in 1846, for $6000. Since the purchase, the City have paid to the widow of Capt. Stevens, $1000, for right of dower, making the cost of the farm $7000. These have proved most profitable investments to the city. Either farm would readily bring twice what both cost the City.

CEMETERIES.

NORTH CEMETERY.--This is a private Cemetery on the river road, near Mr. John Campbell's, for the accommodation of the northern section of the town.

THE RAY CEMETERY.--This is on land now owned by Joseph M. Rowell, Esq., on the south bank of Ray Brook, and adjoining the west side of the river road. It was on the farm of the late John Ray, and was enclosed by him as a family Burying Ground, although some of his neighbors are interred in it.

CHRISTIAN'S BROOK CEMETERY.--This burying place was on an oak knoll south of Christians brook, and upon the farm of John McNeil. It was lately graded in part by the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company, the remains having been removed into the Valley Cemetery.

This was a private burying ground and of course passed with the land. Most of the graves were without monuments. Some however had them; these were six in number. The oldest in date of death, and probably in erection, was that in memory of Mrs. Janet Riddel.

The inscription on her monument was thus;

Here Lyes the Body of
Mrs. Jenit Riddel Wife To
Mr, John Riddel She Died Septr, 18
1746 Aged 50 years.

The next stone in date read thus;

Here Lyes The Body of Mrs.
Chresten McNeil She
Died September 17th 1752
Aged 66 years.

The next stone in age read thus;

Here Lyes The Body of Mr.
Archibald Stark He
Departed This Life June 25th
1758 Aged 61 years.

The next stone in age read thus;

Erected
In memory of Samuel Stark
who died
March 16 1800
Aet. 73

Samuel Stark was the second son of Archibald Stark and was a brave soldier in the "Old French War."

Beside his grave was that of his wife, whose tombstone read thus;

Erected
In memory of
Elizabeth Stark
who died
March 10 1817
Aet.73

Near to the above grave was the next in date and last having a tombstone, which read thus;

Miss
Polly Stark
Died Oct. 22
1820, in the 49th
year of her age.

Miss Polly Stark was the daughter of Samuel Stark, and died as above, unmarried.

THE VALLEY CEMETERY.--The ground for this Cemetery was given to the town of Manchester in 1840, by the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company, by their deed bearing date the 29th day of January, 1840. It contains nineteen acres and seven-tenths of an acre, and is most pleasantly located upon Mile Brook, being bounded on the north by Auburn street, east by Pine street, south by Valley street, and west by Willow street. The conditions of the deed were, that certain highways or parts thereof, should be discontinued within two years from its date, and these being performed, the town was to hold the land for a Cemetery under the following restrictions, viz:

"The said town of Manchester shall thenceforth hold the said premises to said town of Manchester and its successors in fee simple forever, for the sole use and purpose of a public Cemetery or burial ground for the use of said town, and for no other use or purpose whatever. The said cemetery to be under the entire care and control of a committee to be appointed for that purpose by said town as may be provided by law or by votes of said town; a suitable portion of said tract to be by such Committee designated to be used as a common burial place; and the residue thereof to be divided from time to time by suitable walks and alleys, and allotted into lots not exceeding six hundred square feet each, and sold at such prices as may be from time to time fixed by such Committee for the purpose of family tombs and burial places, subject to such regulations as the said Committee shall prescribe; and the monies arising from such sales to be applied by said Committee to the sole purpose of enclosing and ornamenting said Cemetery. Provided further, that if said premises or any part thereof, shall be supplied or used for any other purpose whatever than that before slated, or if any money arising from the sale of any lots as aforesaid, or in any manner arising from the said premises, shall be applied to any other purpose except that of enclosing and ornamenting said grounds, then this conveyance shall be void. Provided further, that said Company shall have the right, to flow the valley through which the brook crossing said premises runs by any dam which they may erect for the purpose of carrying any mills or machinery upon the stream below said premises."1

The town took immediate possession, and appointed a committee, and what is often unusual in such cases, they continued the same committee in office for a series of years, thus enabling them to carry out their plan of laying out, and embellishing the avenues, paths and alleys, which was conceived in much good taste. Through its centre, passes the clear and limpid Mile Brook, now confined in its meandering channel; but formerly so wild in its movements as to have worn a deep gorge, its sides now swarded over, and its bottom a level meadow, affording an abundance of natural grass. This gorge is still covered with its primitive growth of forest trees--only such having been removed as were in the way of the necessary improvements. Paths have been constructed down the sides of this gorge to the meadow, in such manner as shall take the least from the natural features of the place; while two or three rustic bridges, and here and there a fountain, alone show that art has been brought to the assistance of nature, in beautifying this resting place of the dead.

The southeast side of the Valley Cemetery, upon Pine street, is a level plain, a little rolling to the south, and covered with a growth of small pines. Where too thick, these have been cut away, and in some parts other ornamental trees have been planted. The ground here has been laid out with much taste. An avenue passes in a southeast direction along and conforming to the sinuosities of the gorge or valley. This is called Pine Avenue Upon it are some of the finest lots in the Cemetery, fitted up with taste, and having, most of them, rich and elaborate slabs or monuments. There are many other avenues and paths east of this, upon which are very many pleasant lots, all fitted up with more or less taste; and some in the most rich and expensive manner. On the west side of the Valley the land is more uneven, and the lots are laid out with less regularity. On this side is the public portion of the Cemetery--the city tomb, and some very rich and appropriate monuments. The main entrance, that from Chestnut street, is upon this side of the Valley. This is by an iron gate, the gateway being of massive granite, after a design by Moses W. Oliver, Esq. The whole, produces a very fine effect.

The most of the lots are already taken up in this Cemetery, and the city have secured a capacious lot for another, about 2 1-2 miles below the city Hall, on the Calef road. They had purchased a lot for this purpose in 1853, upon the Calef road, but it was found that it was not fit for the purpose, and another purchase has been made, to meet the demands of our increasing population. This is called,

PINE GROVE.--It contains about 40 acres and is located upon the point of land between the Calef and River roads. It is mostly covered with a second growth of pines, and is soon to be finished and laid out with walks. Laid out with taste and judgment it will make a most delightful cemetery.

GOFFES FALLS CEMETERY.--This is a private Cemetery just below the forks of the Harvey and the River road at Moor's Village, for the accommodation of that section of the town.

THE CENTRE CEMETERY.--This burying ground was located Dec. 13th, 1769, by the following vote;

"Voted that the Burying Yard in Derryfield, shall be in that place of ground that Levt. John Hall gave a deed of to the town, in the most suitable part of it, not improved."

This was the meeting-house lot, and the "Burying Yard," was located in the south part of it. It was cleared and enclosed in 1777, with "Merchantable boards, and oak posts." It was covered with bushes, and was cleared in that year. In 1803. May 14, the town

"Voted to raise money to fence the Grave Yard on the front side, with a good stone wall said wall to be 4 1-2 feet high, 3 feet thick at the bottom, and one foot thick on the top, with a good and sufficient gate, painted."

The building of the wall was sold by auction, to Mr. William Farmer, at $3,40 per rod. This wall stood until 1842 when it was replaced by a substantial picket fence. This Burying Yard was more extensively used than any one in town until the Valley Cemetery was laid out in 1840.

THE FOREST CEMETERY.--I have taken the liberty to apply this name to the first burying ground in this place, located in the woods south east of the late residence of Mr. Rodnia Nutt, near the south west corner of ancient Chester, and upon land of Captain Amos Weston. This Cemetery was located and used by the grantees from Massachusetts, who came here in 1735, as mentioned before. It was adjacent to the meeting house, built under the requirement of the Massachusetts grant. It was probably not much used after 1740, when the line was established betwixt New Hampshire and Massachusetts. The graves are now in the midst of the forest, and are covered with stately oaks their position alone marked by the rough cobbles at their head and foot.

THE MERRILL CEMETERY.--This is another private Cemetery in District No. 5, near the school house, at the forks of the Harvey and Merrill roads. It has not been much used.

THE HUSE CEMETERY.--This is a private Cemetery on the Derry road, near to Mr. John Huse's house, for the accommodation of the southeast section of the city.

AMOSKEAG CEMETERY.--This Cemetery is very pleasantly situated on the plain west of Amoskeag Village, and on the road to Rock Rimmon. The ground is tastefully laid out, and covered with thriving pines, is altogether a creditable affair to that village.

PISCATAQUOG CEMETERY.--This is upon the plain overlooking the Piscataquog, and in the midst of the village of that name. It should have been located at a greater distance from the village, but at the time of its location, the present or prospective growth of the village was not anticipated. The lot was given to the town by William Parker, Esq. The first interment was that of a child of Mr. James Griffin in 1814; the next that of a son of William Parker, Esq., April 8, 1814.

THE CATHOLIC CEMETERY.--This Cemetery is in the very west part of the city, upon the road to Amherst. It occupies a very pleasant position, and is capable of being made a pleasant "resting place for the dead." It has been used for such purpose only a few years, and as yet very little has been done to it by way of improvement.

COMMONS.

One of the most pleasant and beneficial features in the topography of our city, is its system of Commons, or Squares, as they are generally called. These have been reserved and laid out by the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company, and passed to the city under certain restrictions, with a liberality, highly creditable to all concerned in that Corporation. It has been said, that "Corporations have no souls," but without speculating upon this saying, it may be said with truth, that this Corporation, though it may be a sole exception, in the laying out this manufacturing city, has displayed a whole-souled regard for the health and comfort of its inhabitants, in furnishing a system of Commons, so many lungs or breathing places, that serve to purify the air of the same, while they afford a pleasant resort to our people on public occasions, and after the severe and confined labors of the day.

There are six of these public Squares east of Elm street, while upon the west side of that street, there are several private Squares, for the benefit of the occupants of the Overseers Blocks and Boarding House Blocks, belonging to the various corporations.

CONCORD SQUARE.--This common was the first one laid out in this city. It is situated betwixt Concord, Amherst, Pine, and Vine Streets, and contains about 4 5-8 acres. This was laid out in 1839, previous to the Company's first sale of lots. It is provided with walks, and ornamented with various forest trees, the Elm predominating. In the Centre, is a reservoir, or small pond, supplied with water from Mile Brook. In passing the common to the city, it was stipulated that the same should be enclosed with an iron fence in five years, or revert to the corporation. The time has transpired, but the fence has not been built. It probably will be however, when the present substantial wooden fence shall have decayed.

MERRIMACK SQUARE.--This Square was next appropriated to public use. It is situated east of Elm Street, betwixt Merrimack and Central streets and contains 5 7-8 acres. This is a beautiful and picturesque common. Mile Brook passes through it, furnishing a beautiful pond in its centre, while on the south east part of it, a portion of the original forest remains, affording a cool and quiet shade from the scorching sun of summer. Brook trout originally abounded in this pond, but the horned pout has driven them from it. The musk-rat burrows in the banks of this Square and their gambols in the water and upon its surface, of a moon light evening, are among the pleasant features of this Square. It is laid out with walks and ornamented with trees. This is the only Square upon Elm street in the lower part of the city.

TREMONT SQUARE.--This is a beautiful Square betwixt Bridge, High, Union, and Pine streets, and contains 2 1-2 acres. It was deeded to the city Jan. 25, 1848, by the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company. Many of the original forest pines have been left upon it, and other ornamental trees have been planted upon it, which add greatly to Drawing Residences of Moody Currier, Esq., and Capt. Walter French its beauty, and make it though wanting any water scenery, one of the prettiest squares in the city. Fronting upon the west side of this square, are the residences of Hon. Moody Currier, and the late Capt. Walter French, forming one of the most beautiful villa scenes in the city, as seen in the accompanying view.

RESERVOIR SQUARE--This is a splendid Common in the north part of the City. In the centre of it is the Company's Reservoir, hence its name. This Square contains about 6 12 acres and is situated between Gore, Harrison, Oak, and Buzzell streets.

The Reservoir in its centre is 150 feet above Canal street, and is capable of containing 11,000,000 gallons, being 484 feet in length, from north to south, 234 feet in breadth from east to west, and 18 feet in depth. Water is forced from the Merrimack by pumps in the centre shops of the "Mechanics Shops." The Reservoir is enclosed by a picket fence, outside of which and on the rim of the Reservoir is a fine terrace furnishing a splendid promenade. The Square is set with trees, and when finished according to the liberal plan of its projectors, will be one of the most splendid Squares in this or any other city.

PARK SQUARE.--This Square is situated between Pine, Chestnut, Park, and Cedar streets. It contains 3 1-2 acres. This Square is very level, and when finished will be a beautiful common. Many of the original trees have been spared from the axe, and add much to its beauty.

Footnotes


1See Records. Return


Autumn Leaves Divider

Link to Home page         Link Back to last page        Link to Next Page         Link to Table of Contents

ALHN Hillsborough County


Email Kathy Chapter 25
History of Manchester
Hillsborough County
ALHN-New Hampshire
Created June 4, 2001
Copyright 2000, 2001