CHAPTER XXVI.
ROADS, BRIDGES, AND CANALS.
Page 2

Upon these streets east of Elm street are many fine private residences. Of some of these we have kindly been furnished with views. Upon Bridge street is the residence of F. Smyth, Esq, and that of Col. J. S. Kidder. Upon Lowell street are the houses of J. T. P. Hunt, Esq., Maj. J. G. Cilley, and Col. F. A. Brown; on Concord street are the residences of Herman Foster, Hon. G. W. Morrison, the late Hon. Moses Norris, and Geo. W. Flanders, Esq.; upon Hanover street is the house of the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company, occupied by Phinehas Adams, Esq., and that of Major Hiram Brown; upon Pine street are the residences of Hon. Moody Currier, and the late Capt. Walter French; upon Water street is the residence of C. W. Baldwin, Esq., Agent of the Machine Drawing 'Residence of C. W. Baldwin, Esq.' Shop; upon Market street is the house of David Gillis, Esq., Agent of the Amoskeag New Mills; and upon Franklin street is the residence of E. A. Straw, Esq., Agent of the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company. These are all fine buildings, of modern architecture, and with their ornamental grounds add much with others to the beauty of our city; views of these accompany this work.

Much attention is paid by our citizens to planting trees, and most of our streets are already ornamented with thrifty elms and maples that add much of beauty to it, and will eventually in this particular, make it one of the most beautiful cities in New England.

The streets spoken of above, are on the east side of Merrimac. The streets upon the west side of the river are not so regular, but conform to the old lines of travel. Thus at Piscataquog the principal streets are Main, Mast Road, North and Granite streets. Main street runs parallel to the Merrimac and is the old road from Amoskeag and north to Boston. Amherst street is the old road from Main street to Amherst. The Mast Road crosses Main street at right angles on the west bank of the Piscataquog, and extends parallel with that river to Goffstown. Granite street extends from the Granite bridge west, crossing the River road nearly at right angles and passing over the bluff to the N. H. Central Railroad on the east bank of the Piscataquog. North street is parallel to Granite street and next north of it, extending from the River Road west to the railroad.

At Amoskeag, Front street is the main street of the village, being the old road from Hooksett to Piscataquog. At right angles to this are various short streets, the longest being the one leading from Front street to the Amoskeag Falls Bridge called Bridge street. The most of these streets lead from the sites of the old mills to Front street.

BOUNDARIES OF WARDS.

The City is divided into wards according to

   SEC. 2 OF CITY CHARTER. The City of Manchester hereby is, and shall continue to be, divided into eight wards, which shall be constituted as follows, viz:
   Ward No. 1 shall include all that part of the city situated between Merrimac river on the west and Elm street on the east, and the centre line of Market street produced to the river on the south, and the centre line of the road leading from the Amoskeag Falls bridge to Elm street on the north.
   Ward No. 2 shall include all that part of the city situated between Elm street on the east, and the Merrimac river on west, and that between the south line of Ward No. 1 on the north, and a line from the point where Elm street intersects the old river road near the Valley Cemetery, due west to the Merrimac river on the south.
   Ward No. 3 shall include all that part of the city now included within the limits of School District No. 1, and so much of School District No. 2 as is situated east of Elm street, and north of the centre line of Lowell street, produced to the easterly line of said School District No. 2.
   Ward No. 4 shall include all that part of the city situated between Elm street on the west, and the Wilson road on the east, and between the south line of Ward No. 3 on the north and Hanover street on the south.
   Ward No. 5 shall include all that part of the city situated between Elm st on the west, and the Wilson road on the east, and the south line of Ward No 4 on the north, and the centre line of Central street produced to the Wilson road on the south.
   Ward Mo. 6 shall include all that part of the city on the east of the Merrimac which is not included in any of the above wards.
   Ward No. 7 shall include all that part of the city severed from Bedford in 1853, and known as Piscataquog.
   Ward No. 8 shall include all that part of the city severed from Goffstewn in 1853, and known as Amoskeag.

The Manchester Directory names the following Blocks and Buildings.

   "Ayer's Block, between Museum and Crosby's Block.
   Bean's Block, Pine, s. Merrimac. Bell's Block, Elm, below City Hotel.--Boston Block, Laurel, c. Pine.
   Central Block, between Stark and Mechanic. Chase's Block, Walnut, c. Pleasant, (P.) Cheney and Marshall's Building, Elm, c. Central. City Bank Block, Hanover, n. Elm. Crosby's Block, Elm, corner Merrimac.
   Dickey's Block, Main, n. Granite, (P.)
   Fern's Building. between Methodist Ah. and Union B. French's Building, Granite, n. Main, (P.)
   Gas Works, Elm, near the Cemetery. Granite Block, Elm, n. Merrimac.
   Jackson's Block, N. Chestnut, corner Pearl. Johnson's Block, Elm, near Bridge. Joy's Block, n. Merrimac.
   Knowles's Block, Chestnut, cor. Merrimack. Kidder's Block, rear Elm, between Bridge and Spring.
   Masonic Temple, Hanover, n. Elm. Merchants' Exchange, 72 Elm. Merrimac Block, Elm, corner Merrimack, opposite Crosby's B. Museum Building, between Merrimac and Pleasant.
   Page and Riddle's Block, Bridge, n. Elm. Parson's Block, Concord, between Chestnut and Elm. Patten's Building, Elm, north of City Hall. Plumer's Block, 62 Elm.
   Rundlett's Block, Manchester, n. Baptist Church.
   Smith's B., West Spruce, between Elm and Chestnut. Smyth's Block, Elm, between Water and Spring. Stark Block, Elm, between Water and Mechanic.
   Union Building, between Market and Merrimac.
   Webbers' Block. Chestnut, c. Laurel. Wallace's Block, Vine, corner Concord. Well's Building, Elm, corner Spring."

Of these, the Merchants' Exchange upon Elm street, between Hanover and Manchester streets, is one of the best structures in the State. It is 185 feet in length by 100 in depth, the front and wings being four stories in height. The first story in front is cast iron, and above, the structure is of brick, with stucco in imitation of dark sand stone. It is owned by Messrs. Moody Currier, J. G. Cilley, D. & D. J. Clark, L. Raymond, J. N. Brown, and J. A. Perry, and cost $72,000.

SMYTH'S BLOCK--is a fine building, 144 feet in length by 100 feet in depth, and four stories in height. It is upon Elm, between Spring and Water streets. The first story is of cast iron in front, and above, the walls are of brick, stuccoed so as to imitate white marble. The imitation is perfect, and the building makes a splendid Drawing 'Smith's Block (Building)' appearance. It was built by Messrs. William Patten, Frederick Smyth, and Daniel W. Fling, and is now owned by Messrs F. Smyth, and Wm. Richardson.--The first door is used for stores; a fine Hall, the Merrimack River Bank rooms, with offices are upon the second floor; and the remainder of the block is fitted up into halls and offices.

PATTEN'S BLOCK.--This a splendid block, 92 feet in front on Elm street by 100 feet in depth on Stark street. It occupies the same ground as Patten's Building, which was burned in February 1856. It is of brick finished with mastic, and three stories in height. The lower story is occupied for stores, and by the Manchester Bank. The second story is occupied for offices, while the Halls in the third story are occupied by the Amoskeag Veterans. This block was built and is owned by Messrs. William and Samuel Patten.

PLUMER'S BUILDING.--This is a substantial and elegant building on Elm street nearly opposite Patten's Block. it is finished in altogether the most costly and elaborate style of any building in the city. It is 100 feet in length by 25 feet in width and four stories in height. The first story in front is of granite while the remaining Drawing 'Plumer's Block (Building)' part of the front is of press brick and marble; the corners, heavy cornice, window caps and sills being of fine white marble. It was built and is owned by Mr. John Plumer, Jr. The first floor is occupied as a store by John Plumer, Jr., & Co., while the remainder is used for offices, &c. There formerly stood upon this site a wooden block. This was purchased in 1846 by Mr. Plumer, and being too small for his business, it was removed to make way for the present one, which is an ornament to our city.

TEMPLE BLOCK.--This is upon Hanover street. It is three stories in height, 100 feet in length, by 100 feet in depth. It is of brick, the first story of the front of cast iron, the remainder of press brick--the window caps and sills being of granite. The first floor is used for stores, the second for offices, and the third contains a splendid Hall, occupied by the Masons and Odd Fellows. This building makes a fine appearance, and equals if it does not surpass any other in the city for its good taste and substantial finish. It was built and is owned by Messrs. I. C. Flanders, E. W. Harrington, Thos. P. Pierce. W. A. Putney, and J. J. Straw.

STARK BLOCK.--This is a fine brick block of three stories, with cast iron front to the lower story. It is 144 feet on Elm street, and extends from Water street to Mechanic street, having wings on each of the latter streets 100 feet in length. It was built by the Messrs. Appleton of Boston. The first floor is for offices and the rest of the building for tenements.

CENTRAL BLOCK.--This is next below the Stark Block, between Mechanic and Stark streets. It is a brick block three stories in height, the lower of granite, 192 feet in length, with wings on Mechanic and Stark streets 100 feet in length. The first floor is for stores and the rest of the building is for offices.

RIDDLE'S BLOCK.--This block is at the corner of Elm and Hanover streets. It is of brick, three stories in height, 25 feet in width by 100 feet in length on Hanover street The first floor is occupied for stores the second for offices, and the third for printing offices. It was built by Mr. Ira Ballou, but is now owned by Isaac Riddle, Esq.

UNION BUILDING.--This was the first brick block built upon Elm street. It is three stories in height--the first story of granite and the remainder of brick. It extends from Market street to Ferren's Block--131 feet, and is 100 feet upon Market street. The first floor is for stores and the remainder for offices, &c., the Amoskeag Bank and Cheney & Co's Express office being in the wing upon Market street.

MERRIMACK BLOCK.--This Block extends from Methodist Court 202 feet to Merrimack street. It is three stories in length with a wing upon Merrimack street 100 feet in length. The first story is of granite and the remainder is of brick. The first floor is occupied for stores and the remainder for offices and tenements.

GRANITE BLOCK.--This is a large block on the east side of Elm street, next north of the Manchester House. It is three stories in height, 75 feet in length by 60 feet in depth, the front being of granite. The first floor is occupied for stores, the second for offices, and the third contains a commodious hall. The building was built and is owned by Col. Greenleaf Clark of Atkinson.

MUSEUM.--This building is at the corner of Pleasant and Elm streets, being 100 feet upon Elm street and 100 feet upon Pleasant street. It is three stories in height, the first floor being used for stores, the second for offices, the third for a museum hall and offices, and the attic for dramatic performances.

BRIDGES.

COHAS.--The first bridge built in town of any note was built across the Cohas on the road leading from Manchester Centre to Londonderry, by Messrs. Michael and William McClintock. They built it at their own expense. This was about 1738 as appears from the following vote in the Records of Londonderry.

   "Nov. 27, 1738. Voted and agreed that Michael McClinto and William McClinto shall have twenty shillings per year payed to them by the inhabitants of Londonderry for the space of ten years, providing that they the sd McClintos do keep up two good, sufficient Bridges near Great Cohasset upon the highway or Road to Amoscege for the space of ten years, commencing their time from this present year 1738."

Other bridges were built across the Cohas at later periods, but by whom does not appear.

BRIDGES OVER THE MERRIMAC.--The first bridge over the Merrimack in this town was built in 1792, as is named on page 521 of this work. A Boston paper of October 1792 thus speaks of it.

   AMOSKEAG BRIDGE--In the State of New Hampshire, was begun the 3d of August last, at which time the timber was growing, and the rocks dispersed in the river. On the 29th of September following, which makes 57 days inclusively, the bridge was passable for travellers, and is now completed.
   "DIMENSIONS.--556 feet in length, is supported by five piers and an abutment on each side--the pies are 60 feet in length and 80 in width--the outside made of hewn timber, and filled with stones."

This bridge was kept in repair for some years, but at length it was suffered to go to decay, and became impassable for teams about 1812, or '15 People on foot continued to cross it after that time; but in a few years it became completely impassable. In November 1824, another company was started to build a bridge at the foot of Amoskeag Falls to replace the old bridge. The stock was divided into one hundred shares.

The subscription paper bore date November 20, 1824, and the company was incorporated December, 1824, by the name of the Proprietors of Amoskeag Bridge. It was the intention of the proprietors of the new bridge to purchase the shares in the old corporation; but so little attention had been paid to it, that no one in this region knew who the proprietors were. It was supposed to be owned in Portsmouth, and an Agent was sent there to make inquiries and purchase the stock. James McKWilkins Esq., was Agent, but he succeeded in finding only eight shares, and those in the hands of Nathaniel Adams, Esq. for which the Agent paid $8, as appears from the records. It does not appear that any others were purchased. Col. Wm. P. Riddle contracted to build the bridge for the sum of $3,600, to be completed by the middle of November, 1825. Col. Riddle completed the bridge according to contract and it was accepted by the directors November 25, 1825. It was built upon a stone abutment on the east side of the river and seven wooden piers, and was twenty feet in width. The bridge needed little repairs till 1837, when, January 23d, at a meeting of the Proprietors, the Directors were ordered to repair the same. This they did at an expense of some $1500.

The Amoskeag Manufacturing Company having commenced; their improvements on the east side of the Merrimack, commenced negotiations for purchasing the bridge, and April 29, 1837, a Committee was chosen by the Proprietors of the bridge to confer with that Company upon the subject. The result was a sale of the bridge, the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company buying the stock of the holders. Accordingly, at a special meeting of the Proprietors, held April 4, 1838, the old officers resigned and new ones were chosen in their places--viz.
Robert Read, President.
Robert Read,         }
Wm. Amory,         }  Directors.
Thos. C. Lowell,   }
Willard Sayles, Treasurer.
Wm. G. Means, Clerk.





It was then voted to abolish the toll on foot- passengers. In 1848 two piers were taken from the west end of the bridge by a freshet. It was repaired and remained till 1851, when it was carried completely away by a freshet. It has not been rebuilt.

GRANITE BRIDGE.--Granite Bridge was built at the head of Merrill's Falls, in 1840. The act of incorporation was granted June, 1839. The stock was divided into one hundred shares.

The act of incorporation provided that when the stockholders should have received in dividends from tolls, the cost bridge and interest upon the same at six per cent, it should become free. The bridge was completed in September 1840, and Granite street, extending from Elm street to the bridge, and from the bridge west to the river road in Bedford, was built by the corporation at the same time, for the accommodation of travel to and from the bridge, the use of the land for the same being given by the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company as long as tolls were taken for passing the bridge, the repairing an fencing the same being at the expense of the proprietors of the bridge, during its use by them. The experiment was a successful one and proved that the bridge was of great public advantage. An abstract from the report of the Directors to the Legislature, made June 19, 1843, will show the situation of the corporation at that time.

   "And first, we consider the original cost of our Bridge, Toll House, and Road, as the amount of our capital stock, which amount was ascertained and reported to the Leg[i]slature in June 1841, and was $10,281.08. Nine thousand dollars of which had been discharged by assessments upon the shares of the stockholders, and the residue from the money received for tolls. We have paid out since the bridge was completed for repairs and other incidental expenses, the sum of $1393.60, which being added to the original cost of the bridge, &c., shows a total outlay of $11674.58, exclusive of interest.
   The whole amount of money paid out to the stockholders in dividends up to this time has been $2600.00, to which add the balance of original cost of the bridge, &c., which balance was paid out of money received for toll $1248.88 and it shows our total receipts to have been $3848.88, and that a balance is now outstanding against the bridge and in favor of the stockholders of $7825.80 besides the interest upon the assessments."

In 1847 the public became impressed with the belief that the bridge should be free according to the conditions of its charter, and measures were taken to bring about this result.--Petitions were presented to the Mayor and Aldermen of Manchester and the Selectmen of Bedford, praying that Granite street should be laid out over the bridge--and be made a public highway. A hearing was had upon the petition before the Mayor and Aldermen of Manchester on the 18th of December, 1847, and before the Selectmen of Bedford about the same time. The result of the hearings was, that the highway was laid out, and the bridge became free, upon the payment of the sum of $400 to the stockholders. Thus free, the bridge became the property of Manchester and Bedford and to be supported by the them. During the ice freshet of 1851 the ice became obstructed in the eddy above the N. H. Central Railroad bridge, and the water rising some feet, the bridge was lifted from its piers and carried off. In the summer of 1851, another bridge was built at the expense of the two towns. As is often the case with partners, they could not agree what kind of a bridge to erect--and Bedford built the west part in lattice work, while Manchester built the east half after another plan. It is believed that the abutments and piers were built of the same kind of stone! The bridge was built in a substantial manner, upon stone piers laid in the most approved style under the direction of Major Hiram Brown. The bridge is 450 feet in length and 25 feet in width--with two drive-ways for teams, and two walks for people on foot, and is not covered. Its whole cost was about $18,000.

AMOSKEAG FALLS BRIDGE.--In 1839, a charter was granted for a bridge by the name of the Amoskeag Falls Bridge to be built across the Merrimack at the head of Amoskeag Falls.--The stock was divided into one hundred shares. The act of incorporation provided that the bridge should become free after the dividends from the tolls should amount to the cost of the same, and interest thereon at ten per cent. The bridge was completed in 1842. It was built after Town's patent. It was an uncovered bridge, 450 feet in length, and 25 feet in width built upon abutments and four piers of stone. In 1852 made a free bridge after a hearing before the Road Commissioners, the public highway being laid out across it and $3000 being awarded to the proprietors to be paid by Manchester and Goffstown. In March, 1853, this bridge was carried away by a freshet. It was rebuilt in 1854 by the City of Manchester. It is a covered bridge upon abutments and five piers of stone. It is 450 feet in length by 25 in width, and cost $20,000.

   "BRIDGES OVER THE PISCATAQUOG.--At a town meeting, held June 11, 1759. "Voted, Robert Walker, Hugh Riddle, and John Moor, be a committee to build a Bridge across Piscataquog river," which was built near where the bridge now stands.
   "Jan. 22, 1770. Maj. John Goffe was employed by the town to build the second bridge over Piscataquog river. It was raised July 16, 1770, and they finished laying the plank, Dec, 12, 1770. It was built near the former. While raising the bridge, six men were thrown off, of whom Mr. Holmes, Mr. Dugal, and Joseph Moor, were seriously injured, the latter so much so, that he died in thirty hours. This was carried off by a freshet in 1784.
   "Nov., 1785 "Voted, John Patten, Adam Dickey, Joseph Patten, Lieut. John Orr, Ens. John Riddle, be a committee to repair or re-build the Piscataquog Bridge, and build it near the same height as the present one, or as they may see proper."
   "Nov. 1795. Chose a committee consisting of Benj. Barron, Lieut. John Riddle, Lieut. John Patten, John Orr, Esq., and Mr. James Darrah, to build a new bridge. This committee was to sell the work to the lowest bidder, and the construction was to conform to a plan exhibited; the bridge to be finished by June 1, 1796. It does not appear from the minutes of the meeting who built the bridge; but at a meeting held March 23, 1796, John Orr, Mr. Joseph Patten, and Maj. Stephen Dole, were a Committee appointed to inspect the timber and workmanship of the re-building of Piscataquog Bridge. They reported to the town at the next meeting after the bridge was finished, Aug. 29, 1796; and the town accepted the report of the committee, which recommended to allow David Riddle $20.00 for extra work and timber on said bridge, from which it seems that David Riddle must have been the builder in 1796.
   "March 26, 1812. Isaac Riddle, Samuel Chandler, and William Moor, were appointed a committee to build Piscataquog Bridge, the north abutment to be of split stone, (the south abutment being built of stone the year before.) with a middle pier built of wood, with good and substantial railing, stringers and plank. Wm. Riddle, Esq., was the builder of this bridge, which was completed in the summer of 1813 or '14.
   Oct. 17, 1828. A committee was chosen, consisting of Capt. Wm. Patten, Col. Wm. P. Riddle, and Jonas B. Bowman, Esq., to re-build Piscataquog Bridge. This committee were authorized to draw mon[e]y not exceeding $300, if necessary. Builder, John P. Houston, in 1829.
   "Oct. 4, 1842. A committee was chosen consisting of Fred. G. Stark, Jas. Walker, and Wm. P. Riddle, to reconstruct and rebuild Piscataquog Bridge. This is the bridge now in use, the abutments on both sides the river were widened, a lattice, similar to the Granite bridge, made, and the whole finished as a bridge ought to be in such a thoroughfare of travel. It was completed in 1843.1

FERRIES.

The earliest ferry upon the river in this region, was established by the town of Londonderry for the purpose of accommodating their townsmen in prosecuting the fishery at Amoskeag Falls. This was in 1731 [See page 169]. Subsequently ferries were established at several places upon the river, where the public convenience demanded such as

HADLEY'S.--This was established somewhere about 1735-- by Mr. Benjamin Hadley. It was located below where was afterward the Amoskeag or McGregor bridge. The landing on the east side of the river was just south of the Elm, near the north end of No. 5 Amoskeag New Mills, while that on the west side was a few rods below the Amoskeag bridge, and is still to be seen. After Mr. Hadley's death it passed into the hands of Mr. Thomas Hall, and has since been known as "Hall's Ferry." It was discontinued when the Amoskeag bridge was built, in 1792.

MARTIN'S.--This was a Ferry established in early times by Mr. Samuel Martin. Hence its name. It was near where Mr. Peter Mitchel now lives and probably was of little account.

GOFFE'S.--This was at Goffe's Falls, was a noted ferry, and is still in existence. It was established by the noted Col. John Goffe, probably soon after his settlement at the mouth of the Cohas in 1774. It was chartered by royal authority, November 7, 1766. The charter upon parchment is still in the hands of Col. I. W. Moor, a great-grandson of Col. Goffe. The ferry is located between the mouth of the Cohas and Goffe's Falls.

MERRILL'S.--This ferry was at the foot of Merrill's Falls and just below Granite bridge. It was established as early as 1750 by Mr. Abraham Merrill and hence its name, as also the name of the Falls. This ferry was discontinued soon after the rebuilding of the Amoskeag bridge, in 1825.

CANALS.

The Amoskeag Canal has been fully described in a previous chapter. After this passed into the hands of the proprietors of the Middlesex Canal, it became an object with them to make it as profitable as possible. The most effectual way was to render the river navigable betwixt the Middlesex and the Amoskeag Canals--and as far above the latter as was practicable.--Accordingly various acts of incorporation were obtained to effect this purpose. Of these, that known as the "Union Canal" was mainly in Manchester. This comprised some miles of the Merrimack river below the Amoskeag lower locks. This section was rendered navigable by building dams and locks at Merrill's Falls; near the Granite Bridge; Griffin's Falls nearly opposite Mr. Peter Mitchell's; Short Falls opposite Walker's Mill, Goffe's Falls a short distance above the junction of the Cohas with the Merrimack; Cohas Falls near the mouth of Little Cohas; and Moor's Falls in Litchfield.

To give the reader a complete description of a system of works of such vast importance to this section of the country, the report of the Directors of the Middlesex Canal, made to that corporation in 1816, is here inserted. The report was as follows:

   "The Committee of Directors, pursuant to the intentions of the Board, having visited and examined the canals in New Hampshire, at the falls of Merrimack river, in which the proprietors of the Middlesex Canal are interested, report, That having proceeded to Concord, they embarked there on the river at the Landing Place, of the Merrimack Boating Company, and at a distance of two miles below, entered the channels, formed in Turkey Falls to admit the passage of boats. This fall they understood, was naturally impassable, and its improvement came within the plan of the Bow Canal. Accordingly, the dam which raises the river to fill that canal, backs the water over these falls; and although they are still swift, are not difficult of ascent. The length of these channels, formed by removing rocks, is about a half a mile.
   The entrance to Bow Canal, is nearly a mile lower down the river on the westerly side. It consists of strong abutments, raised fourteen feet, and twelve feet thick, to support the guard-gates, and defend the canal in high freshets. Near them begins the dam which is thrown across the river at the head of the Falls. It measures four hundred and fifty feet in length, and from seven to twelve feet high; formed of very large timber and plank, and loaded with stone, and strongly bolted to the ledges on which it is founded. From the guard-gates, for five hundred and sixty feet, the canal is dug principally in stone, and partly in gravel, thirty feet wide, and eight feet deep. It is then carried by a wall and embankment, twelve feet high, for three hundred and sixty feet across a cove of the river; it ten enters a small hill or ledge of rock, through which it is carried for three hundred and twenty feet, sixteen feet deep, and twelve feet wide; thence the canal was dug in gravelly ground, two hundred feet to the Locks. The descent into the river below the Falls, which are twenty-seven feet perpendicular measurement, is effected by three Locks, which are supported by walls of split stone, which average seven feet in five hundred and twenty feet in length. The lower Lock being sunk four feet below the lowest water-mark, a channel was made from thence to the channel of the river. The whole is about one third of a mile.
   Your Committee give these ou[t]lines of this and the works to be subsequently mentioned, that the Board may have some data to compare with the expense of them.
   The property of the canal consists of the ground it occupies, and four acres of god land contiguous, and a house thereon, for the residence of the Lock Tender.
   By the Act of Incorporation, this prorietary [sic proprietary?] is divided into two hundred shares. The whole expenditure thereon, including the channels of Turkey Falls, has amounted to near $20,000.
   Bow Canal went into operation for rafts in 1812, and to the 31st of May, 1813, received $290.51: the year ending 31st May, 1814, received $497,01; the year ending 31st May, 1815, received $868,78. The present year beside the toll on rafts, it will have the advantage of the ascending business by the boats since the 1st July last.
   The management of this Canal is in the same hands, and similar to the Middlesex, as far as local circumstances will allow. The current expenses will be the constant wages of one man, and occasionally of two others, and moderate pay to the officers of the Corporation.
   From Bow Canal to Hooksett, six miles, the river is unobstructed and gentle, its width is generally about two hundred yards.
   At the head of Hooksett Falls, stands a small Island which gives its name to the place. To this Island a Dam is thrown to a ledge of rocks, which stands ninety feet from the western shore. This space is occupied with a high and thick wall, which supports the guard-gates, and defends the work from high freshets.
   The Canal consists of two spacious basins, between the main Damn, which forms one side, and the shore the other; and of two Locks supported by strong stone walls. The fall is seventeen fe[e]t perpendicular measurement. The Corporation purchased the Mill privileges at this place, and eight acres of land. Considerable work had been done, which was made subservient to their object. This proprietary is divided into one hundred shares, and has cost fifteen thousand dollars. The toil received on rafts in the year ending the 31st May, 1814, was $336,78; and to 31st May, 1815, $454,47. The present year will have additionally the benefit of the ascending trade. The Canal and the Mills, and the roads which meet here, are inducing a rapid settlement of this vicinity, and the general business increases.
   From Hooksett Canal to Amoskeag, a distance of eight miles, the river is unobstructed, wide and gentle.
   Amoskeag Canal, the greatest work of the kind in New England, except Middlesex, though not owned in any part by our Corporation, is, however, principally in the hands of proprietors in the Middlesex Canal; and it being of great importance in the chain of water-communication, formed by the rest of our works, we are happy to state that for the most part, it is new and permanently constructed, and that what remains of the old works, will probably be renewed the present year.
   On leaving Amoskeag Canal, you enter on that section of the river nine miles in extent, converted by law, into the Union Canal, comprehending in that space, six distinct falls; at each of which, and at several intermediate places, work has been done. The first Lock is at Merrill's Falls, erected at the foot of this rapid, near the eastern shore, supported and protected by strong wall from which dams formed of timber and stone, extend from the one side to the shore, and from the other to the head of the falls, and obliquely nearly across the river; forming a still basin or Canal in this instance, one hundred and forty rods in length.
   In great freshets when the river is unnavigable the Lock is overflowed. As the water subsides the works re-appear for use; and are calculated for a variation of the surface, perpendicularly for eight feet. Precautions appear to be taken to guard again at the effects of winter; and the experience of five seasons proves them secure.
   The other Locks, viz: at Griffin's, Goff's, Coos, and Moor's Falls, are constructed on similar principles, varying in position, or strength of the works according to circumstances. In several instances, considerable difficulties were to be surmounted by dint of labour, and places were pointed out where channels had been formed by the removal of masses of rocks from under water, by force of powder and machinery.
   Descending the river five miles further, we came to Cromwell's Falls; where a Lock has been built under the same Act of Incorporation, by a subsequent grant of the Legislature, with a separate rate of toll. The toll of the Union Canal above described, is seven and a half cents a ton per mile, or sixty seven cents per ton; and by a recent act of the Legislature, a toll on rafts has been granted. The cost of Union Canal, including Cromwell's, may be estimated in round numbers at $50,000 dollars; which however, will be reduced, (to the proprietors) twenty thousand, by the avails of the lottery, granted in aid of this expensive and hazardous undertaking. This Canal has begun to receive toll, and is under a like system of management.
   After descending the river fifteen miles further, your Committee entered Wicasee Canal, and passed the Lock therein. This work being in the same county as the Middlesex, may be considered as an appendage thereof. It consists of a natural passage between Tyng's island and the north shore, which was cleared out and deepened and a substantial Lock built to raise the height of Wicasee Falls, which are on the other side of the island; in which Falls there are dams to check the water back in a low state of the river, to save the expense of digging the Canal deeper. The cost was about $14,000 dollars, and there is a separate toll. The work opened the river for fifteen miles, and may be considered essential to its navigation. Proceeding from hence three miles down the river, we reached the head of Middlesex, fifty-two miles from the "lower" landing in Concord, the "upper" landing being on the East side five miles higher up.
   Your Committee, after viewing this chain of water communication, see no reason to doubt its effectual operation; and are confirmed in the opinion which six years ago prompted the Board of Directors to the undertaking, that it was necessary to the final success of the Middlesex Canal. A few years of experience are wanting to show the extent of the usefulness of these improvements, and the effects they will undoubtedly produce. The kind of business expected to result from them, has already commenced. The landing places and stores already mentioned have been established at Concord, for the deposit of merchandize, and produce in their way to and from Boston. A regular system of transportation is actually carried on, which there is every reason to think will actually increase; and bringing the real accommodation of eighty-five miles of water carriage directly into the heart of the country, may be expected to attract a considerable accession of trade to our State and metropolis.
   In closing their report, your Committee (having had an opportunity of inspecting the proof-impression of a map of New Hampshire, on a large scale, now preparing for publication,) beg leave to advert to the supposed practicability of opening a water-communication between the Merrimack and Connecticut river, in the direction of Windsor, in the state of Vermont, between Sugar river and Sunnape Lake from which it takes its rise; and the Contoocook, which has its northly source in or very near the same and discharges eight miles above Concord; By which water carriage from Boston might be encreased to three hundred miles; not with a view of engaging the Corporation in any additional expense already too great; but to lead the Board, to consider at some convenient time, the means of calling the public, and even Legislative attention to an object of so much importance to the whole community, at least so far as to ascertain its practicability, and probable cost from actual survey. This point indeed might be settled for a few hundred dollars. The Committee have only to add that they found the Middlesex Canal in an improved state and perfect operation.
AARON DENTON,    }
BENJAMIN WELD,  }
COMMITTEE {  ANDREW SIGOURNEY,
{  B. JOY.

From this report, it will be seen that the project was seriously contemplated of uniting the Merrimack and Connecticut rivers by means of the Contoocook and Sugar rivers, and thus to secure the trade of North Vermont to Boston. The project was chimerical, as the same object has been attempted nearly in the same direction by railroads, and has thus far proved a perfect failure.

A large proportion of the boatmen upon the river, in the employment of the boating company, were from Manchester and Litchfield. A knowledge of the river and river craft, gained from their proximity to the Falls, and consequent employment there in fishing and "running" lumber, gave them a decided superiority as boatmen. It was a life of hardship and temptation by "which some fell, but others are among our most respectable citizens. Among them was the late Capt. Israel Merrill, a man of powerful make and without fear. A boat race is well recollected betwixt his boat and another, which continued from Boston to Concord. From the head of "Middlesex" to Concord, each strived for the advantage, but Merrill beat by the length of the boat or so! His antagonist however never did another day's work; the exertion was the cause of his death! Capt. Merrill was pilot of the steamer that made a trip to Concord in 1817. Joseph M. Rowell, Esq., Messrs. Samuel Hall, Samuel B. Kidder, and James Hall, are among those of our citizens who were engaged in the boating business. This business was done by a company, incorporated by the name of the "Merrimack Boating Company." The first boat that passed from Boston to Concord arrived there in the Fall of 1814, but the boats did not commence running regularly till in June, 1815. A large square sail was used for propelling the boats when the wind was fair, but the usual method was by "setting poles." Two men standing upon the bow, of the boat, each with a pole some 12 feet long, shod with iron, would thrust the same against the bottom of the river or canal, in an angling direction, and then throwing the body forward would walk with a measured step to the stern of the boat, thus pushing the boat along as they went; they would then pull up their poles and pass to the bow again to go through the same walk. This was called "polling a boat." While this operation was going on, a third hand stood some feet from the stern of the boat holding in his hand the handle of a long paddle, some fifteen or twenty feet in length, its immense blade extending into the surface of the water from the bow of the boat say something less than half its length. This man was the "steersman" and this ponderous paddle was the "tiller" with which to guide the boat. Being under the direction of experienced men, it was not often that any serious accident happened to these boats. However, two boats were lost upon the river in this neighborhood. One boat was capsized in Goffe's Falls, and Mr. Enoch Killicut was drowned. He belonged to Hooksett. In 1840 another boat ran over the Amoskeag Falls and was stove in pieces and its cargo lost or damaged. The boatmen were Thomas Howe, Timothy Vickery, Thomas J. Page and Warren Pettingill. It was high water and a yoke of oxen were "hitched" to the boat by a long rope, to tow it up the river out of the swift water. The "steersman" let the bow of the boat sheer too far from the shore, the force of the current was stronger than the oxen, and boat and oxen were taken down the river. The oxen were forced into the water and the boatmen made for the shore for their lives!--At this moment, Joseph M. Rowell, who was standing upon the bank, very coolly struck the rope with a jack-knife, and stretched to its utmost tension, with one stroke of the knife it parted, and the oxen were saved while the boat was dashed in pieces upon the rocks. The loss was about $2,500. In 1823, the name of the company was changed to that of the Boston and Concord Boating Company. Under this name it continued to do a prosperous business till the Fall of 1842, when the Concord railroad was opened to Concord.

LOCKS ON THE PISCATAQUOG.

In 1818, Wm. P. Riddle built a set of locks at the mouth of the Piscataquog. His store and boating house were just below the Piscataquog bridge and some rods from the Merrimack, and at low water boats could not pass up the Piscataquog. By building a dam across the Piscataquog at the head of Bass Island, a still basin was formed up to the bridge--and by a lock of 100 feet long, the Merrimack was reached with boats rafts at the lowest stages of the water.

RAILWAYS.

RAILWAYS.--The Concord railroad passes through this city, while the Manchester and Lawrence and the N. H. Central roads start from this city. The Concord road extends from Concord to Nashua, a distance of 36 miles. It was incorporated in 1835 and has a capital of $1,485,000. It was opened to this place for public travel July 4, 1842. In connection with the Manchester and Lawrence road, it has two splendid depots in this city, one for freight and the other for passengers. The Freight Depot is below Granite street, Drawing 'New Depot.' corner of Granite and Canal streets, and is 300 feet in length by 65 feet in width.--The Passenger Depot is upon the corner of Canal and Granite streets. It is in the form of a cross 310 feet in length and 80 feet in width. Both these buildings are of brick and of the most improved make for depots. A view of the Passenger Depot is given opposite. This Depot was built in 1855 upon ground formerly occupied by the old Freight Depot which was of brick and had been taken down, as it was inadequate to the business of the place. The old Passenger Depot, Drawing 'Old Depot' abandoned for the same cause, still stands immediately west of the new Depot. A view of this is also given. The officers of the Concord Road are
   Isaac Spaulding, Nashua, President. Isaac Spaulding, Josiah Stickney, Chas H. Peaslee, A. C. Pierce, Uriel Crocker, B. F. Manning, J. S. Kidder, Directors. John H. George, Concord, Clerk. N P. Lovering, Boston, Treasurer, Hon. N. G. Upham, Concord, Superintendent. D. C. Gould, Agent and Ticket Master for the Manchester Station. A. W. Tompson, Baggage Master, Jacob Sawyer, Freight Clerk. James A. Watson and W. H. Dole, Freight Agents.
THE MANCHESTER AND LAWRENCE.--This road was chartered in 1847, and built in 1848 and '49. It extends to Lawrence a distance of 26 miles. It occupies the Depots in connection with the Concord road. Its capital stock is $800.000. The officers of the road are
   E. J. M. Hale, Haverhill, President. E. J. M. Hale, David A. Bunton, J. T. P. Hunt, Manchester, Joseph Low, Concord, John Flint, Andover, N. F. White Lawrence, Charles Connor, Exeter, Directors. Wm. C Clarke, Manchester, Clerk. D. J. Daniels, Manchester, Treasurer. J. A. Gilmore, Superintendent.

N. H. CENTRAL.--This road was chartered in 1848 and was built in 1849 and '50, and extends from Manchester to Henniker, a distance of 28 miles. Its capital stock is $500,000. It has been merged with the Concord and Claremont road under the name of the Connecticut River Railroad.

Footnotes

1See History of Bedford. Return.

Autumn Leaves Divider

Link to Home page         Link Back to last page        Link to Next Page         Link to Table of Contents

ALHN Hillsborough County


Email Kathy Chapter 26
History of Manchester
Hillsborough County
ALHN-New Hampshire
Created June 4, 2001
Copyright 2000, 2001