MAST ROAD SCHOOL DISTRICT, No. 5
MAP --Use browser's back button to return.
No. 1. Owned by Noyes Poor in 1834, who sold the same to Hillsborough County; for subsequent owners see Hillsborough County article. This farm was owned by Capt. Samuel Richards at an early date, and his house was located on the interval; he also owned a sawmill on the river; also by Capt. George Hadley before the Revolution, and it was on this interval where he is said to have ploughed up the traditional pot of money mentioned in the Weare history. David McAllister once owned the westerly part of the County Farm land; his east line was near the superintendent's building, and his house near an oak tree now standing.
No. 2. Hillsborough County Hospital built in 1906.
No. 3. Simon Tuttle; building gone many years.
No. 4. Settled in 1776 by Seth[2] Wyman; the principal subsequent owners have been Stephen Johnson, T. F. Moulton, Henry H. Johnson, George A. Leighton and Lewis Gould.
No. 5. Grasmere Junction depot.
No. 6. House built about 1860 by Richard F. Fellows; afterwards moved.
No. 7. Loman MeClintock, Daniel Durgin, Thomas H. Chamberlain, Henry H. Johnson, his widow Ellen Johnson; present owner, Frank Olson.
No. 8. Built by Frank Olson about 1914.
No. 9. House beside bridge owned by Thomas Chamberlain in 1835; afterwards by his heirs, Frank P. Chamberlain, Calvin Wyman, George W. Fellows; present owner, Louisa M. Fellows.
No. 10. Owned by David Wyman; his heirs; afterwards by Philip Mitchell; his son, Frank, present owner.
No. 11. Calvin Wyman, and remains in the family name, owned by his heirs. This farm and the farm now owned by Frank Mitchell constituted the original farm of James Wyman, father of Calvin and David. Dea. Thomas Shirley once had a mill on the river on this farm.
No. 12. Site of schoolhouse; removed.
No. 13. Residence of George Danforth built about 1900.
No. 14. Built by John Wentworth in 1919; now owned by Fred Lynch.
No. 15. Built by Mrs. William H. Fife in 1902; present owner, Charles E. Philbrook.
No. 16. Built by Bartlett Bros. in 1903; residence of George H. Bartlett.
No. 17. Ice-house built by Walter Plumer in 1903; afterwards owned by L. T. Barnard; present owner, Clarence M. Crowell.
No. 18. Owned by Dea. John Stevens in 1820; afterwards by Stephen Blaisdell, John R. Chandier, Joseph Bartlett, and Bartlett Bros.
No. 19. Home of Benjamin[6] Stevens; afterwards occupied by his son, Alfred, and Daniel Plumer; at present owned by H. Byron Wyman.
No. 20. Owned by Joseph Stevens as early as 1807; afterwards by his son, Harvey and grandson, Darius W.
No. 21. Built by Ralph H. Hoit in 1913, now owned by Horatio K. Libbey
No. 22. Home of Dea. Daniel Lincoln; succeeded by James Black, his daughters, and L. T. Barnard. Deacon Lincoln was engaged in tanning, and his mill stood west of his house on the northerly side of the highway; the tan yard and vats are plainly visible.
No. 23. Built by Johnson Plumer; after his decease owned by Jesse T. Plumer, William P. Burpee, John W. Sherry, James Ahmuty and Frank Hardy.
No. 24. Built by Mrs. A. Warner; at present owned by West Side Lumber Co.
No. 25. Bungalow owned by William H. Harris.
No. 26. Said to be the tavern stand of Moses Kelley preceding the Revolution; afterwards owned by Daniel Plumer, his son, Jesse T. and his grandson, Gilman; after Gilman's decease the property was acquired by Horatio K. Libbey.
No. 27. House on Brook Street
No. 28. House on Fern Street
No. 29. Exzilda Munier
No. 30. Edward Forcier
No. 31. Built and owned by Joseph Roberge
No. 32. Built by owner, Thomas Peabody
No. 33. Originally owned by Moses Kelley; afterwards by Col. William Barron, his son, Capt. William Barron, Joshua Burns, Hugh Letter, Robert Schnauder, Joseph G. Green, T. W. Richards, James Cranshaw, Benjamin Cranshaw, Charles Chamberlain and Fred Plante.
No. 34. Aurell Lapointe.
No. 35. Aurelia Stone.
No. 36. Built by owner, William Boucher.
No. 37. R. M. Mosher.
No. 38. Built by owner, Charles Pecor.
No. 39. Charles Pronlx
No. 40. Store built in 1919.
No. 41. Owned by Ora Johonnett.
No. 42. Owned by Cleopas Caron.
No. 43. Owned by Albert Provencher
No. 44. Schoolhouse; originally built one mile west near residence of Calvin Wyman.
No. 45. Owned by George R. Higgins.
No. 46. Joseph Roy.
No. 47. Car barn.
No. 48. Built by Eric Camelin.
No. 49. Owned by Wilfred Gazaille.
No. 50. Owned by Joseph Roy.
No. 51. Joseph Bouler.
No. 52. Owned by Warren Lavengin.
No. 53. Red house.
No. 54. Summer house, corner of Rochambeau and Sharon Streets.
No. 55. Summer house, Rochambeau Street.
No. 56. Summer house, Rochambeau Street.
No. 57. Mr. Bulanger.
No. 58. Joseph Bedad.
No. 59. Owned by Annie R. Murphy.
No. 60. Fred Burque.
No. 61. Joseph Haggerty.
No. 62. J. Horace Rouillard.
No. 63. Alonzo Charest.
No. 64. M. L. Perusse.
No. 65. Albert Lemay.
No. 66. C. F. Moquin.
No. 67. Azareas Charest.
No. 68. Charles Denyon.
No. 69. Built by Estelle M. Libbey in 1915.
EAST PART SCHOOL DISTRICT, No. 7
MAP --Use browser's back button to return.
Beginning at the southeasterly corner of the district at Manchester line:
No. 1. Old house formerly owned by Daniel Farmer; buildings gone. Following the road a short distance upon the westerly side:
No. 2. Was the home of John Keyes; buildings gone; continuing northerly across the brook upon the easterly side of the highway stood the house of Daniel Davis Farmer.
No. 3. Farmer sells to Robert Hall in 1820; Hall to John C. Davis. Samuel Kelley was afterwards a resident, and Simmons B. Cilley purchased the same and made it his home; after his decease it had various owners, prominent among whom was Ernest Colburn; buildings burned.
No. 4. Lot No. 7 in 11th range home of Samuel Poor, and after his decease occupied by his son, Irad Poor, present owner.
No. 5. House built by Charles E. Pollard.
No. 6. Parts of lots No. 5 and 6 in 11th range purchased of George Poor in 1813 by Isaac Flanders, which was his homestead; after his decease owned by his son, Gideon; now owned by Charles E. Pollard.
No. 7. House of Henry B. Stearns, who succeeded his father, and at his decease owned by his heirs; since had a number of owners, although perhaps not in the order given: Moses W. Colby, Willey Poor, E. J. Morse, Leslie Putnam, and present owner, Bartholomew Martel.
Five sons of Henry B. Stearns enlisted from this home in the War of the Rebellion, three, from force of circumstances, did not serve.
No. 8. Home of Nathan Stearns after 1826 until his decease; residence of his widow until 1901; present owner, Sidney Woodson.
No. 9. Site of the home of the widow, Anna Ayer, murdered by Daniel Davis Farmer; buildings gone.
No. 10. Home of Moses Collins; afterwards owned by Thomas F. Wells and his heirs; Mrs. Henry B. Stearns; at present owned by her heirs.
No. 11. Early settled by Reuben Collins; his daughter, Betsey, married Jesse W. Sargent and resided here; after his decease she married Gilman Moore; her home until her decease; buildings gone; present owner, Henry L. Williams.
No. 12. Home of Charles Pollard, Sr., and after his decease owned by his heirs for a number of years; present owner, Henry L. Williams.
No. 13. Hardy sawmill. See sawmills.
No. 14. Early owned by Nathan Hardy; afterwards by his daughter, Mrs. G. F. Farley; present owner, Herbert J. Wells; buildings burned by lightning July 25, 1881; rebuilt by Mr. Farley.
No. 15. Built by Otis B. Lincoln in 1882; buildings gone.
No. 16. Formerly Caldwell place; afterwards home of Richard Pattee; in 1853 the Pattee heirs conveyed to Timothy Worthley, and Worthley sold to Luther B. Greer in 1859; at his decease passed to his daughter, Clara A. Woodson; present owner, E. B. Bowie.
No. 17. In 1820 owned by Daniel M. Clement; afterwards by Henry B. Stearns, John Cheney, Otis B. Lincoln, Timothy Worthley, and at present by his heirs.
No. 18. Early owned by Elijah Stearns, who sold to Col. Daniel Farmer January 2, 1819; in 1850 Farmer conveyed to David Wells, who Conveyed to Stephen J. Wells in 1878; Oriando H. Rand, present owner.
No. 19. Owned by David Wells until his decease, who succeeded his father, Aaron; present owner, Benjamin H. Wheeler.
No. 20. Built by John Blaisdell about 1848; William George, Ervin P. Sargent, Samuel P. Elliott, Alamando Merrill, Gilman I. Blaisdell have been owners; buildings burned and rebuilt; present owner, Bertrand Dow.
No. 21. Built by Henry Blaisdell and owned by him until his decease; William J. Blaisdell resided here until his decease in 1915; now owned by his heirs.
No. 22. Occupied by John Harriman in the fifties and for some years after the war; present owner, Mrs. Elizabeth Wells.
No. 23. On the easterly side of the highway, and nearly opposite No. 22, was the early home of Henry Blaisdell, preceding his removal to No. 21, upon the westerly side of the highway; buildings gone many years.
No. 24. Settled by Job Rowell, according to Starks' history of Dunbarton, in 1760; March 17, 1753, he purchased of Ebenezer Martin 140 acres of land in lot No. 7 in 11th range; Martin reserves one-half part of privilege of a sawmill in partnership with said Rowell. In 1764 he purchased land joining Moses and Ephraim Wells, which is described as both land and swamp, which was probably part of his homestead. In 1777 he sold to Henry Blaisdell, Jr., which descended to Benjamin F., who conveyed to Jacob A. Flanders; now owned by his daughter, Helen Flanders.
No. 25. B. F. Blaisdell conveyed to John Cheney parts of lots 2 and 3 in 11th range; Cheney to Warren Harriman in 1853; afterwards owned by B. Frank Harriman; present owner, Charles F. Hoyt.
No. 26. Built by Warren Harriman; occupied by B. Frank Harriman for some time; now owned by Charles F. Hoyt.
No. 27. House built by John Wells, general in New Hampshire militia; stands in same form as raised; afterwards owned by Hezekiah Blaisdell; present owner, Charles F. Hoyt.
No. 28. House formerly owned by Gilman Blaisdell standing in the fork of the roads; present owner unknown.
No. 29. House built by Stephen Blaisdell; farm donated by his father; afterwards owned by Gilman Blaisdell, Oscar C. Lord, George Warriner and Nathan C. Newton.
No. 30. House built by Charles W. Cheney in the fifties; he sold to Moses W. Woodbury; William C. Gould, William Tilton and William L. Thorndike have been the owners. The original Cheney place owned by Thomas Cheney, father of Charles W., was located at the foot of the hill near Dunbarton line; buildings many years gone.
No. 31. Built by Daniel Wells; owned by various parties, prominent among whom were Ira Bailey in 1860, Cordelia A. Davis, Rodney Hadley, William Hadley, John W. Merrill, C. A. Wadleigh, R. B. McFerson, Hattie M. Caverly and Clifford Harvey.
No. 32. Schoolhouse.
No. 33. Sawmill, owned by heirs of Gilman F. Robertson. See sawmills.
No. 34. Mill house built by B. F. Stevens and Co. about 1865; afterwards owned by Robertson and Wells, and G. F. Robertson; at present owned by his heirs.
No. 35. Small house formerly owned by Edward C. Young; present owner, Samuel Lockwood.
No. 36. Built by Lorenzo G. Merrill in 1875; present owner, Mrs. Cavis Hill.
No. 37. Built by John Bartlett about 1860; afterwards owned by Mrs. Bartlett, Oscar Cummings, Joseph St. Cyr, Georgi La Plante, etc.; present owner, Edward Gentes.
No. 38. Built by Frederick Collins; after his decease owned by Mrs. Elizabeth C. Gould; buildings gone.
No. 39. Early owned by Aaron Collins; afterwards by his widow, son, Edward J.; present owner, Mary Burke.
No. 40. Built and occupied by Jane Pike.
TIBBETTS HILL SCHOOL DISTRICT, No. 8
MAP --Use browser's back button to return.
No. 1. Homestead of James Woodbury until his decease in 1871; succeeded by David S. Ferson, his son-in-law, who in turn sold to his son, James R.; James R. sold to James G. Taggart; David S. Ferson built a new house in place of the Woodbury residence; buildings destroyed by fire.No. 2. Was owned for a number of years by William T. Sanford, who sold to George Putnam in 1865; afterwards the residence of David A. Butterfield, and he was succeeded by Leonard M. and Henry M. Beard.
No. 3. Built by Ezekiel Merrill; afterwards owned by William Law, who married the widow of Ezekiel Merrill; buildings gone.
No. 4. Built by Lorenzo G. Merrill and occupied by him for some years; buildings gone.
No. 5. Residence of Stephen P. Buzzell, probably built by him; John M. Brown, Lorenzo G. Merrill and David Riley, have been the successive owners; present owner, Nathan J. Stickney.
No. 6. Purchased by George L. Barrett, in 1853, of Daniel Merrill; occupied by him and his son, Herbert, for along series of years; present owner, Nathan J. Stickney.
No. 7. Built by John Nute; the old house at No. 1, David S. Ferson, and the old house at No. 8, Flanders' place, constituted the building; afterwards owned by William S. Whipple; buildings gone.
No. 8. House originally built by Simon Flanders at quite early date (lot No. 1 in 8th range); among the last occupants of the house was one Rowell; buildings long since gone.
No. 9. House built by Thomas R. Hoyt; afterwards owned by his son, Thomas R., Jr., and his daughter, Mary Ann Palmer.
No. 10. Located just east of No. 9, known as the old house of Thomas R. Hoyt, Sr.; buildings gone.
No. 11. Schoolhouse; the first schoolhouse stood a few rods south of the present building.
No. 12. Home of Nathan Roberts, Sr., parts of lots 2 and 3 in 7th range; Adams Roberts conveyed to Nathan Roberts, Jr.; house burned in 1833; Roberts deceased in 1862; his heirs were succeeded by William S. Whipple (in 1870), until his decease, March 25, 1913; present owner, Max Miller.
No. 13. Lot No. 3 in 8th range originally settled by Philip Jones; home of Samuel Gould until 1855; succeeded by Robert Ayer, whose son, Warren, is the present owner.
No. 14. Moses Gould was an early owner and occupant at this site (blacksmith); Eliphalet Jones for many years resided here; Orrin T. Clough, Otis E. Whipple, and Walter H. Newton have owned the same; destroyed by fire, being struck by lightning in 1918.
No. 15. Samuel Kelley, followed by Thomas Colby, his son, Francis 0. Colby, and Mrs. 0. A. Hill, present owner.
No. 16. Small house for some years occupied by Joseph Foster and sons, John and Joel; buildings gone; removed about 1870.
No. 17. In 1814 George Poor and John Green sold to Seth Woodbury of Essex, Mass., parts of lots 4 and 5 in 7th range, known as the "Seth Saltmarsh farm." In 1846 Seth Woodbury conveyed to Abraham Roberts, and in 1856 Roberts conveyed to Charles W. Cheney; Greer and Johnson, Daniel J. Davis and Augustus Woodbury have been the successive owners; present owner, John Chartrain.
No. 18. Homestead of Capt. Nathaniel Kimball, succeeded by his son, Nathaniel E. Kimball, Eliphalet Richards, Charles A. Cleveland; present owner, his widow, Louisa Cleveland.
No. 19. Small house which stood about opposite No. 20, built by Cyrus H. Hubbard before the war; he died in 1862 in the service; house gone.
No. 20. Jacob Colby, David Whipple, Hibbard S. Merrill, C. A. Kesler, and resent owner, Julius Mudrach, are among those who have occupied this place.
No. 21. Early owned by Samuel Ordway, Nathan Merrill, Horace L. Richardson and James R. Lockhead; house burned.
No. 22. Was the home of Israel B. Whipple about 1840 and for several years thereafter; Stephen Lawrence resided here during the war; Stephen Tibbetts and the present owner, Mrs. Frank Fuller, have been his successors; house burned same day as No. 21.
No. 23. John Merrill was an early resident here, succeeded by David Riley, James G. Taggart, and Henry J. Hoyt, present owner.
No. 24. At an early date this place was occupied by a family by the name of Warren, and among the subsequent owners were Abraham Robe+ts, Eliphalet Jones, his son, John B., and Mrs. Nichols.
No. 25. Ansel H. Annis resided here in the fifties; Hibbard S. Merrill owned the same for a number of years before, during and after the war, and from this home three of his sons went forth to serve in the War of the Rebellion; buildings gone.
No. 26. Eliphalet Jones was a resident here, succeeded by his brother, Thomas H. Jones, until his decease in 1880, and afterwards by his widow.
No. 27. Site of an ancient residence supposed to have been occupied by Timothy McIntire, or of some branch of the McIntire family; buildings long since gone.
No. 28. Jones sawmill situate on Black Brook. - See sawmills.
CENTER NORTH SIDE SCHOOL DISTRICT; No. 9
MAP --Use browser's back button to return.
No. 1. February 20, 1779, Obadiah Hawse sold to Trueworthy Sargent part of lot No. 5 in 7th range, north side of Piscataquog River; and the same year Enoch Eaton sold to said Sargent part of lot No. 9 on the river and a part of the farm formerly owned by Matthew Patten; this was shortly after he came to Goffstown from Londonderry. How long he occupied the premises is a matter of doubt, and how long his son, Joseph, resided upon the farm is uncertain, further than that Joseph, Sr., died in Bradford in 1824, where he had moved some years before. Joseph, Jr., known as Captain Joseph, was the occupant here as early as 1811, and the same year bought one-fourth part of sawmill on Harry Brook, and remained here until his decease in 1860. After the decease of his widow, in 1861, Alfred Poor, Francis F. Flint and Amos Merrill, Abel M. Davis and Benjamin F. Davis have been owners.
No. 2. Owned before 1810 by Stephen Thurston, and for some years known as the Thurston farm, and afterwards by Capt. Joseph Sargent, who sold to his son Lewis in 1845, and Lewis sold back the following Year; Joseph sold again to his son, John B., and his heirs returned the same to Joseph a few years later. In 1854 Captain Joseph conveyed the same to his daughter, Lottice B. Dow, and her minor children, Sarah and Joseph S. The Dows were succeeded by A. N. Hardy, Gilman Woodbury, Alonzo W. Poor, William W. Merrill and Benjamin F. Davis.
No. 3. Owned and occupied for many years by Samuel Hodgman; afterwards by Matilda Hart, Dr. Charles F. George and his widow, Rebecca P. George.
No. 4. Moved to present location by Moses W. Woodbury; the house had been in three other places; next owned by Gilman Woodbury; now by Walter Woodbury.
No. 5. Built by Francis F. Flint in 1876; sold to Mrs. Nathan Roberts, Asa Spaulding, Waldo Hodgman; now owned by F. H. MeKenna.
No. 6. Built by owner, Charles H. Tibbetts.
No. 7. Built by Samuel Kimball; purchased by Samuel Hodgman; now owned by William Lochhead.
No. 8. Built by John Harriman; then owned by Esther Parker and Sally Harriman, and Stillman J. Merrill; now by William W. Merrill.
No. 9. Built by Stillman J. Merrill; then owned by Peter Merrill; present owner, William W. Merrill.
No. 10. Early owned by Joseph Richards, and in 1827 Dr. Daniel Little purchased the same of David Steele and Gideon Flanders; afterwards owned by Amos H. Merrill, Ruel W. Manning, E. C. Breshnahan; now by Frank N. Hill.
No. 11. Occupied by Amos Harriman; then owned by his son, John; now by Henry E. Greer; present house built by Mr. Greer. About thirty rods above this house stood the home of Peter Harriman, which was occupied by his widow many years after his decease.
No. 12. Built by John Greer as a home for his mother; then owned by Benjamin F. Greer, Joseph Davis, who remodelled it, Dea. Benjamin Poore, John W. Tarr; now by David E. Paige.
No. 13. Owned by William Bunton, then by Capt. Benjamin Greer; now by his son, Benjamin F. Greer.
No. 14. Early owned by Elijah Parish, Sr., who was formerly a resident of Lebanon, Conn.; at his decease his two daughters, Philomela Thurston and Amelia Parish, conveyed to their brother, Elijah Parish, Jr., D. D., of Byfield, Mass., who in turn, in 1818, reconveyed the entire property to John Greer. In 1838 John Greer conveyed the same to George Poor, and at the decease of Mr. Poor, his son, Alfred, became the owner by purchase, and in 1872 he sold to Charles Spencer; same is now owned by his son, Arthur C.
No. 15. Built by George Poor; occupied by Eliphalet R. Poore, Peter M. Hersey, Harriet Little, Betsey A. Wells; now owned by town of Goffstown.
No. 16. House built by Samuel Little; then owned by Stevens M. George, Richard Collins, Samuel Teel, Ward Richards; now by Alice Chase. A former house on this lot was built by Benjamin Richards, who purchased March 7, 1775, of Samuel Blodget, he buying of John, Michael and Martha Wentworth, heirs of Gov. Benning Wentworth. Before this Mr. Richards lived on land now owned by Benjamin F. Greer, who built the present residence about half a mile north.
No. 17. Built by Dr. John S. Little; now owned by Edna Leazotte.
No. 18. Built by Joseph Jones about 1810. Just back of this house was one where Dr. John Cushing lived, conveyed to him in 1797 by David Sawyer; Gideon Flanders purchased in 1827 what is now the home of Edwin Flanders.
No. 19. Store built by Capt. Joseph Sargent; then owned by George Poor; occupied by Eliphalet Poore thirty years; purchased by Alfred Poore; after by Benjamin F. Greer; now owned by John W. Tarr.
No. 20. Merrill Block, conveyed by Butterfield and Forsaith to James Flanders; later owned by Capt. J. Sargent, Alfred Poore, Stephen Lawrence, Hibbard S. Merrill and lastly Emma Merrill; part of block now owned by Clifford Harvey.
No. 21. Built by Alfred Poore; purchased by John M. Brown; now owned by Clara Tibbetts.
No. 22. Stone blacksmith shop built and occupied by Samuel S. Weston; removed.
No. 23. Owned many years by Samuel Weston; house burned in 1877; present residence built by Mrs. Harriet E. Gove.
No. 24. Methodist parsonage; owned many years by David M. Roberts; later by Mrs. George Poore; burned in 1877; the present one built by the M. E. Church.
No. 25. Moved and made into house by David M. Roberts, Jr.; now owned by William Tarr.
No. 26. Meeting-house built in 1768; afterwards used as town house (see town houses); schoolhouse and town hall built in 1889 on same site.
No. 27. Schoolhouse moved to site No. 56.
No. 28. Moved and remodelled by Alice Garland; afterwards owned by Mrs. Anna D. Martin; now by Frank D. Martin.
No. 29. Owned by Rev. Cornelius Waters; he exchanged farms with Jacob Upton; afterwards owned by Daniel Sargent, Dea. Enoch Sargent, Mvah Colby, Jane P. Hopkins; present owner, Anna B. Buchanan.
No. 30. Owned by Lora E. Race.
No. 31. Moved by W. C. Poore; purchased by Mary A. Martin.
No. 32. Built by John H. Copp; since owned by Gary Morgan, Oliver Champagne; now by his heirs.
No. 33. There was originally a house here built by Mr. Whitney; subsequently owned by Charles Spencer; afterwards moved by Stephen Tibbetts to site No. 39. John H. Copp built a cigar factory near the site, which was afterwards moved to site No. 38.
No. 34. Owned by Capt. James Karr; house built before 1757; proprietors met at his house that year. April 21,1762, he increased his holdings by purchasing of Robert Matthews lot No. 9, adjoining also 40 acres east of No. 9, which Matthews bought of Matthew Patten in 1757. Matthews agreed to comply with the terms of the grant. It was at this home where town meetings were warned and preaching services held. The barn stood upon the southerly side of the road and was moved by Elnathan Whitney about 1880. Capt. James Karr conveyed to Elnathan Whitney in 1789, and the same has since been in the Whitney family, owned by son and grandson, both of the same name; now by George E. Whitney, great-grandson.
No. 35. Farm given by Elnathan Whitney to his daughter, Mrs. Joseph Poore, her son, Joseph, grandson, William H. Poore; now owned by Warren H. Whipple.
No. 36. Built by Mary E. George; afterwards owned by her heirs, and Clarence Colby; house burned.
No. 37. Built by Alonzo Poore; now owned by Elmer W. Roberts.
No. 38. Moved from site 33 by Mrs. Hurlburt; purchased by Minnie N. Emerson.
No. 39. Moved by Stephen Tibbetts; purchased by Alvin Aiken; now owned by Sylvester Aiken.
No. 40. Built by E. P. Roberts; now owned by John G. Roberts.
No. 41. For many years the house of Dea. Johnson Tirrell; after his decease owned by his son, Rodney; buildings burned by lightning; now owned by George Graves.
No. 42. Settlement made by Benjamin Stevens, and forest cleared by him; inherited by his son, Benjamin, then by his grandson, Benjamin F., who was succeeded by his son, Frank P.; Franklin Stahl, the present owner.
No. 43. This farm was given Mrs. Martin by her father, Elnathan Whitney, and cleared about 1817, then inherited by her son, Elnathan, then by a grandson, Charles H. Martin; now owned by the Manchester Farm Agency.
No. 44. Built by Clarence Merrill; sold to Rodney Tirrell; now owned by Carrie E. Welch.
No. 45. Methodist Episcopal Church.
No. 46. Brick house built by Capt. Abel Hart; then owned by Joseph Koskey, Andrew J. Knowles; present owner, Etta Williams.
No. 47. Last pound maintnined by Goffstown.
No. 48. Occupied by Sims Colby owned by Alfred Poore; present owner, Josephine Kidder.
No. 49. Occupied by Robert Stark; owned by Alice Garland; present owner, Albert G. Greer. From this home three sons of Robert Stark volunteered in the War of the Rebellion.
No. 50. Owned by Charles Bagley; moved across road; owned by Joseph Tucker, then by Dea. Henry Lancaster; now by Susan C. Coburn.
No. 51. Built by Victor Vigneault; now owned by his heirs.
No. 52. Built by Charles H. Lancaster; owned next by James Stevens; now by John E. Greer.
No. 53. Built by Benjamin F. Greer; now owned by Harriet E. Richards.
No. 54. Built and owned by Bejamin F. Greer.
No. 55. Sawmill, afterwards gristmill; both gone. There was another industry before the sawmill.
No. 56. Sawmill privilege owned by Amos Richards; then occupied by John Greer, with gristmill; present mill built by Noyes Poore, then sold to Alfred Poore, next to William D. Hopkins; now owned by E. W. Poore.
No. 57. Baptist Chapel, formerly schoolhouse, moved from site No. 27.
No. 58. House occupied by Neal, a shoemaker, then by John Sargent, afterwards by Alfred Poore, Samuel Teel, George M. Eaton; present owner, Bertram Putnam.
No. 59. Owned by David Sargent; afterwards by Eli P. Roberts; present owner, John W. Tarr.
No. 60. First a liberty pole on the Common, then braced by framed timbers, then moved across road just east of stone shp and finished into a dwelling-house by Capt. J. Sargent, then moved to present place and owned by Gen. Thomas Russell Worthley, afterwards by Capt. Seth Woodbury, Abbie Sweetzer, Moses W. Woodbury; now owned by Sarah J. George.
No. 61. Built in 1873 by Sarah Flanders.
No. 62. Built about 1857 by Nelson V. Merrill; now owned by Tracy W. N. Tarr.
No. 63. Built in 1873 by E. W. Poore; next owned by Dr. Charles F. George, then by George Ordway; present owner, Joseph Chatel.
No. 64. Built by Alfred Poore; later owned by John E. Richards; now by Edgar W. Poore.
No. 65. Built by Clifford K. Burns; now owned by Benjamin F. Greer.
No. 66. The old Bunton or Greer house moved across road and owned by Benjamin F. Greer; the last two named houses are on land formerly owned by Nathan Hawse.
No. 67. Owned by Lyman Stowell, later by Eben Colby, W. G. Hoyt, Jerome Colby; now by Asa Spaulding.
No. 68. Built and owned by Mrs. E. B. Swett.
No. 69. Owned by Amos Richards, John Greer, Eben Colby; present owner, Henry E. Greer.
PATTEE HILL SCHOOL DISTRICT, No. 10
MAP --Use browser's back button to return.
No. 1. Known as Jewett place; owned by Thomas Stevens in the late fifties; afterwards by J. M. and D. A. Parker and Abner Hoit, Lewis Sargent and others; the house moved to Goffstown Village and erected in its original form on site 3, district No. 13; now owned by George Henry Hoit.
No. 2. Lot No. 3 in the 2nd range, drawn by John White; afterwards purchased by Ephraim Dimond, who died in 1831; owned by William Smith until about 1855, J. M. and D. A. Parker, George W. Hancock, James G. Taggart, James Stiles; present owner, Granville Parker; buildings burned.
No. 3. Moved by Granville Parker in 1911 from village; originally stood west of No. 122, district No. 1.
No. 4. Built by Mrs. Sarah Chester in 1903; now owned by Alfred E. Thomas.
No. 5. Formerly the home of Moses Smith; in 1854 David Steele and Alfred Story conveyed to Benjamin Kidder. About 1867 Kidder removed from town, and George Tenney and his son, Frank, have since been the occupants.
No. 6. Early owned by John Kidder; afterwards by his sons, John and Luther; subsequently by Bradley Kidder; now owned by James Paige.
No. 7. Built by Luther Kidder; for many years occupied by S. R. Fillebrown.
No. 8. Home of Neheraiah Story; house probably built by him; owned by Alfred Story, B. Frank Hazen; buildings remodelled by Mr. Hazen; burned by lightning in 1916.
No. 9. Built by Samuel Story, and his home until his decease in 1863; buildings gone.
No. 10. In 1845 True Morse of Dunbarton sold to Abram Melvin; Melvin to Horatio N. Welsh, and Welsh to John Kidder, 2nd; afterwards owned by David Pattee, Abram Colburn, Franklin H. Woodman, Peter Jones, and Lewis H. Hoyt; present owner, A. Q. Johnson. This was early known as the Kidder place, but by whom owned I am unable to say.
No. 11. Early owned by Thomas Towne, succeeded by his daughter, Adaline, and son, George W., Charles H. Tibbetts and Freeman Riddle.
No. 12. Lot drawn by Job Kidder and early settled by Job Kidder; second house on the lot built about 1799; used as a poor farm by the town of Goffstown until 1866, when it was purchased by George Henry Hoit, and subsequeny by the present owner, Henry Blaisdell, who erected the buildings.
No. 13. John Pattee, Jr., and Daniel Pattee of Dunbarton,in 1824 sold to Luther Pattee; in 1830 Luther Pattee conveyed to Amos Woodbury, who occupied the same during his lifetime; soon after his decease (1855) John Q. Perley succeeded, and the same is at present owned by his son, John A. Perley. The house was moved from Dunbarton.
No. 14. Joshua Martin purchased of John Kidder, October 6, 1758, lot No. 1 in 5th range, north side of Piscataquog River; the original settlement was forty rods south-easterly of the present buildings. The estate subsequently passed to his son, Francis B. Martin, and from Francis B. to his son, Van Buren; Van Buren constructed the present substantial buildings about 1875, and at his decease his son, James F., the present occupant, became the owner.
No. 15. Site of original settlement of Job Kidder before 1760, hardly visible.
No. 16. Robert Martin place, so-called; after his removal owned by John Greer, Lewis Sargent; buildings gone.
No. 17. Built by William J. Kidder in 1877; buildings burned.
No. 18. Former home of Samuel Kidder, Sr., and Samuel, Jr.; buildings gone.
No. 19. Originally the Samuel Martin farm; Dr. A. F. Carr, in 1857; conveyed to Samuel Worthley all that part not previously disposed of; subsequent owners, David Hawse, Henry F. Martin, Charles H. Barnard, Waldo M. Hodgman; present owner, Isabel Titus.
No. 20. For a long series of years this was the home of Daniel Kidder; present owner, Eli Brown.
No. 21. Owned by John Saltmarsh, purchased by Francis Martin in 1856, and at his decease in 1903, his son, Henry F., the present owner, came into possession.
No. 22. Lot No. 5 in 5th range purchased September 10, 1750, of Caleb Dalton by Alexander Walker for 130� lawful money, "the said Walker doing and performing the duty of settlement that is to be done by said Dalton in Goffstown. " He was the first town clerk of Goffstown, and here he founded his home; afterwards owned by Peter Pattee, his heirs, and by Lewis Sargent for a number of years preceding his decease; present owner, George E. Waite, who built the present residence, in place of the one burned.
No. 23. Samuel Annis purchased in 1804, and here resided until his decease; his daughter, Mrs. John Whipple, succeeded, who in turn was followed by her son, Andrew; now owned by his heirs.
No. 24. This was the homestead of Samuel Stinson, blacksmith, who died about 1856; present buildings were built by Edwin Kidder; present owner, William Wells.
No. 25. Home of Job Kidder; former owner, Benjamin Pattee; present owner, Amos W. Whipple.
No. 26. Barn of Robert M. Gordon built about 1911.
No. 27. House in which the family of Peter Peters, Sr., colored, resided for a number of years.
No. 28. House built by Jonathan Rogers in 1869; buildings burned.
No. 29. About 1806 this was the homestead of James E. Richards, who probably built the buildings; his son, James E., Jr., occupied the same until 1857; Eliphalet Richards, 3rd, Horace Richards and his son, James Arthur, have been the successive owners; the buildings were totally destroyed by lightning in 1918.
No. 30. Built by Edwin G. Bowen about 1865; succeeded by Marzella Merrill, Andrew J. Morgrage, Elmer Whipple and others, J. Arthur Richards and present owner, B. Frank Hazen.
No. 31. Home of John Pattee, known as John Pattee, 3rd, about 1818; afterwards his son, Jabez B., who built the present residence; now owned by his daughter, Mrs. Loella P. Stiles.
No. 32. Owned by Philip F. Pattee from about 1825 to 1857, when he sold to John L. Taggart; William G. Buxton, J. B. Pattee, George Pattee and Carl B. Pattee, present owner, have owned in succession; the present residence was built by George Pattee; main part of former house moved to No. 35.
No. 33. Benjamin W. Pattee, 1841, William Richards, Butterfield and Story, John K. Richardson; present owner, Amos W. Whipple.
No. 34. Built by Horace Kidder; now owned by his grandson, Frank Kidder.
No. 35. Lot No. 4 in 4th range, originally drawn by James Adams; early settled by Thomas Saltmarsh, Revolutionary soldier; Saltmarsh heirs, owner until 1868; subsequent owner, T. R. Butterfield; Amos W. Whipple, present owner. The main part of the house was moved to the village by Mr. Butterfield; now located at No. 25, district No. 13, North Mast Street; main part of present house moved from site No. 32.
No. 36. Original camp or house of Thomas Saltmarsh.
No. 37. Built by Joseph Little about 1804; Horatio N. Welch, Daniel G. Davis and Amos W. Whipple have been the successive owners.
No. 38. Built by Joshua Martin; and his heirs conveyed to Horace Hazen, and his son, Charles, succeeded.
No. 39. Schoolhouse.
No. 40. In 1850 John Kidder, 2nd, conveyed to Leonard Kidder one-half of the farm, mentioning the fact that Leonard Kidder already owns the other half; George W. Kidder, William J. Hunter, present owner.
No. 41. Lot No. 3 in 3rd range on discontinued road leading from residence of Mrs. Loella P. Stiles to that of Mrs. Alice Sanders; owned by Joseph Kennedy and his widow until 1783, when she sold to John Ross; in 1804 John Ross conveyed to Plummer Hadley; buildings long since gone; owned by Loella P. Stiles; Joseph Kennedy died here and his body was drawn to the Center Cemetery over a deep frozen snow upon a hand-sled.
Nos. 42 and 43. Cellar holes, buildings long since gone and unidentified.
No. 44. Lot No. 4 in 3rd range; Ebenezer Hadley resided here from 1771 to 1777, when he sold to John White; it was for many years known as the Teel place; buildings gone; owned by Carl B. Pattee.
PARKER'S SCHOOL DISTRICT, No. 11
MAP --Use browser's back button to return.
No. 1. Lot No. 1 in 1st range, on north side of river, drawn by Samuel Griggs in the original drawing of lots by the town proprietors; settled by Amos Jones about 1790; Amos was succeeded by his son, Ephraim, who resided here until his decease in 1851. The farm has had various occupants since, among whom were John Q. Perley, Benjamin Dow, Thomas Stevens, Ezeriah Rowe, Jacob Bailey, W. S. Huggins; present owner, Eulas Akerly.
No. 2. Lot No. 1 in 2nd range drawn by George Cunningham, and retained in the Cunningham name, through George, Samuel and William, until about 1870; the successive owners have been J. B. Pattee, D. W. Garland, Z. Taylor Pierce, A. B. McLean and George McKim.
No. 3. Mehitable Hadley resided here until her decease in April, 1862; house removed to site 120, district No. 13, in 1871, by Edwin G. Bowen.
No. 4 and 3 constituted lot No. 2 in the 2nd range, drawn by Richard Wibird, Esq., and by him conveyed to Plummer Hadley, Sr., November 9,1762, in consideration of 1,000� old tenor, and the same pased to Nathaniel Hadley, Sr.; the southerly side of the road to Nathaniel Jr., succeeded by J. M. and D. A. Parker, E. L. Trundy and Luther G. Dearborn. The northerly side of the road still remains in possession of some of Plummer Hadley's descendants.
No. 5. Lot No. 2 in the 1st range, was drawn by Peter Harriman; his son, Warren, resided upon the same until 1872; since been owned by J. M. and D. A. Parker, Joseph Carraway, Walter Foote and Byron D. Brown.
No. 6. Small house west side of the road, formerly the home of David Stevens; his son, Jonathan, also lived here, and here were born all or nearly all of his children; house burned; present house owned by Lew Hutchinson.
No. 7. Hadley sawmill; gone. See sawmills.
No. 8. Lot No. 3 in the 1st range drawn by John White. Daniel Kennedy lived here for a number of years, and in 1834 Luther Hadley purchased; same owned by his descendants until 1913; present owner, Charles Woodbury.
No. 9. Robert Alexander resided here in 1795, possibly built the house; after his decease Hiram J. Story, Jonathan Prescott, Luther Sargent, Frank E. Whitman, W. S. Huggins lived here; present owner, Edward J. Williams.
No. 10. Lot No. 4 in 2nd range, William Story purchased of John White, and the same has remained in the Story family; now owned by Mary Emerson, a granddaughter of William.
No. 11. Lot No. 5 in 2nd range, purchased of John White by Plummer Hadley, June 4, 1793, and from Plummer Hadley to Plummer Hadley, Jr., June 29, 1797, and the buildings were constructed by him; the same remained in the family until 1900; Mrs. J. H. Stiles and Mrs. Alice Sanders, owners.
No. 12. James Eaton, Jr., sold to John Wright June 10, 1789, who conveyed to Richard Hadley March 15, 1797, and here he founded his home, succeeded by his son, Richard B. Hadley. After his decease in 1852, his heirs owned the same until about 1860, when Ziba A. Hoit purchased; present owner, Maurice O. Whipple.
No. 13. Schoolhouse, built in 1829.
No. 14. Blacksmith shop, purchased by Ambrose Smith in 1852, owned by him for a number of years; buildings gone.
No. 15. Purchased by Ambrose Smith in 1848 of Richard Hadley; Ambrose Smith, his son, Charles E., and Mrs. Mary D. Livesey, present owner.
No. 16. Owned for many years by Luther Sargent; buildings gone.
No. 17. Built in 1814 by Phoebe Hadley, widow of Thomas, and her heirs conveyed to Joseph Davis in 1833. There have been several subsequent owners, John B. Dow, Henry L. Flanders; now owned by his daughter, Mrs. Eliza A. Wilson; buildings gone.
No. 18. Was purchased in 1866 by Emerson L. Johonnet of J. M. and D. A. Parker, where he ever after resided.
No. 19. Built by Jesse Carr in 1810, residence and wheelwright shop; purchased in 1879 by George P. Hadley, present owner. There was a small shop with a trip hammer used in the manufacture of hoes at one time in the south garden; building gone.
No. 20. Sawmill, known as the Federal mill. See sawmills.
No. 21. Built by Caroline W. Heizir in 1918.
No. 22. In 1820, Benjamin Gale sold to Isaac Parker his farm; disannexed from New Boston and annexed to Goffstown in 1836; house built some years before. Isaac Parker was succeeded by his heirs, who in turn were followed by Asa McMillen, John B. Cheney, Henry Barrett, Horace Jones, Luther Stevens, Henry E. Colby, Charles Worcester, George W. George, Isaiah Thomas, John M. Parker, Charles C. Avery, Mrs. Mary A. Marshall; present owner, Mrs. D. Edwin Whipple.
No. 23. Known as the John Richards farm; house built by John Richards, Sr., before 1800; after his decease his son, John, became the owner; this property has been owned by Hiram S. Hoit, Isaiah Thomas, J. M. Parker, Charles C. Avery, Mrs. Charles C. Avery, Luther G. Dearborn, and William P. Fitch; buildings have been extensively remodelled and rearranged.
No. 24. Built by James Davidson preceding 1820; present owner, Henry E. Colby.
No. 25. Blacksmith shop owned and occupied for a number of years by Benjmin P. Manning; now owned by William P. Fitch.
No. 26. Former residence of Benjamin P. Manning; present owner, J. George Harvey.
No. 27. Known as the Atherton house, of ancient construction; present owner, J. George Harvey.
No. 28. Furniture manufactory, operated by James Davidson, Luther Sargent, Ambrose Story and others; buildings gone.
No. 29. House built about 1804; owned by William Parker, his son, George W., and others; present owners, Charles S. and Frank A. Parker; stands at the northwest corner of the intersection of Mast and Dunbarton Roads.
No. 30. Store building occupied by William Parker as a store, also by his sons, J. M., and D. A. Parker. September 5, 1804, Theophilus Dinsmore of Goffstown conveyed to William Parker, Jr., of Bedford, a certain piece of land where the house mentioned in site No. 29 stands, and the land on the northerly side of the Mast Road as far east as the present line of Ira C. Merrill, and also mentions the fact that "this includes the half acre of land where the store stands," which shows conclusively that the store was previously built. Upon this land was erected his dwelling-house, standing east of the store. There is a tradition that there was a log house, antedating this, standing in the forks of the New Boston and Mast Roads, where the horse barn stands.
No. 31. Depot; the first station was destroyed by fire about 1900; rebuilt.
No. 32. Sawmill owned by William Parker, George W. Parker, Abner Hoit and his son, John W. Hoit; gone.
No. 33. Tenant house built by J. M. and D. A. Parker, about 1870, in the pasture.
No. 34. Built by John M. Parker in 1854, ever after his home; now owned by his grandson, John E. Parker.
No. 35. Home of the late David A. Parker; now owned by his widow.
No. 36. Site of former residence of Stephen Merrill; buildings gone forty years.
No. 37. Built by the owner, Iru C. Merrill, in 1912.
No. 38. First house built in 1796 by Thomas Hadley, who died in 1809; in 1850 Abner Hoit purchased and built the present residence, which was owned by him until his decease, and by his son, John W., and his heirs until 1905, when Eugene A. Whipple purchased the same, he selling in 1917 to Frank A. P. Mace.
No. 39. Built by Maurice E. Blaisdell in 1902; now owned by William H. Beals.
No. 40. Residence of Enoch Baker, who may have built the buildings, and resided here from 1820 until his decease; John W. Hoit and Martin V. B. Wyman have been the subsequent owners.
No. 41. Built by John W. Hoit in 1899; since owned by Eugene A. Whipple; present owner, Cyrus N. Colston.
No. 42. David Hale early settled and had a house near the southeasterly corner of the present residence, and his farm included the Joseph B. Hoit farm east of his; in the process of time there was a division; in 1814 Mark Lowd conveyed to John Whitney, who built on the present site; burned about 1860; rebuilt and again burned about 1882 or 1883; rebuilt a second time; at present owned by James D Walker. Mark Lowd and Stephen Collins were sons-in-law of David Hale; he gave to each a farm, and in his declining years was supported by the town.