PAIGE HILL SCHOOL DISTRICT, No. 12
MAP --Use browser's back button to return.
No. 1. In 1840 owned by William Little; Little's heirs sold to Lewis Sargent; George Cox, Joseph Comfort, and his widow succeeded Mr. Sargent.
No. 2. Samuel Little place; Samuel Little, Joseph E. Little, Greer and Poor, Amos H. Annis, his heirs, Benjamin F. Greer; present owner, Charles M. Holt.
No. 3. Early settlement of Amos Tewksbury; house occupied by Joseph Foster from 1850 to 1860; buildings gone.
No. 4. Was settled by Thomas Kennedy, who died in 1804; Benjamin Little, Samuel Little, November 3, 1848, Horace Hazen, Abram Roberts, Charles W. Cheney, Francis H. Phillips and the present owner, Henry P. Kelley, have been the most prominent owners of the place.
No. 5. John Tewksbury, Henry Moore, his daughters, Alice I. Royce, and M. Elsie Moore, have been the owners of this place for seventy-five years.
No. 6. Owned by Joseph Sargent; purchased by Joseph B. Gilmore January 4, 1846, who erected the present buildings; his son, Joseph, and William H. Clark, present owner, have been the occupants since 1845.
No. 7. McCoy place in the valley of Harry Brook; buildings stood easterly of the Gilmore place; John McCoy and his descendants were the owners for a number of years; afterwards Silas W. and Julia A. Little.
No. 8. Original settlement of Ben; amin Paige some distance west of the present residence of the late David A. Paige; buildings gone.
No. 9. Site of residence of Benjamin Paige, his son, John G., and grandson, David A.; David A. built the present buildings; former house moved to site No. 11.
No. 10. Owned by Jonathan Bell, Revolutionary soldier; Jonathan B. Ferson, 1850; William B. Sargent; Silas W. Little purchased in 1854 of John Greer, and at his decease Frank A. and Mildred Stark became the owners; present owner, Frank W. Blood.
No. 11. Owned by Frank W. Blood; former residence of David A. Paige; moved from site No. 9.
No. 12. For a number of years the home of William Belcher; afterwards owned by William B. Underhill; buildings gone; site now owned by Anna A. Blood.
No. 13. Schoolhouse.
No. 14. Calvin B. Sargent, who built the buildings, his heirs, Lyman Stowell, Willard A. Putnam, and the present owner, Stanley K. Lovell, have been the occupants of this property for sixty years.
No. 15. For many years the home of Taylor Little; afterwards owned by his son, Silas W., Augustus Martin, Frank W. Blood, and present owner, Mrs. May F. Sumner.
No. 16. Owned by Joseph Tucker in 1845; William Stevens, Charles Haseltine, Isaac J. Paige, Eliphalet Richards, A. Pecoy, Alvah Colby, Isaac J. Paige and Alonzo Paige have been the successive owners.
No. 17. Known as the David Richards place. Moses K. Little sold to David Ferson in 1838; Moses Page in 1844; David Marsh, Albert Noyes, Andrew J. Morgrage, Thomas F. Wells, John L. Whipple, and Charles H. Barnard, are among the resident owners; present owner, Benj. Dyke.
No. 18. Was built by Ebenezer Curtis in 1862; house burned in January, 1870.
No. 19. Early owned by Jacob Sargent; after the decease of Mr. Sargent, his widow married Samuel Ordway; this place was her dower as widow of J. Sargent. In 1843, Benjamin Pattee, owner, sold to Calvin B. Sargent; Mr. Sargent to Isaac J. Paige; Timothy Murphy, George Downer, John Pattee, Alvah Colby, his son Alfred, and his grandson Fred H. Colby have been the successive owners.
No. 20. Home of Elijah Chubbuck, Robert Forsaith in 1827; since then has had many owners, including Calvin B. Sargent, Taylor Little, Richard P. Collins, Albert Noyes, Whitefield Gilmore, John B. Lucian, George H. Martin, Charles Bean, Arthur A. Whitton, Edith Moir, Henry Montgomery and Cora E. Holbrook; present owner, Herman C. Sumner.
No. 21. In 1839, George Poor was the owner and sold to David Ferson; Ferson conveyed to David M. Poor, May 6, 1846; his heirs conveyed to Jonathan Haselton in 1850; present owner, Mrs. Cyrus Hammond. Maj. George Poor in conveyance mentioned a former bridge at Gregg's Falls.
No. 22. Gregg's Mills. (See Piscataquog River Industries.)
No. 23. Former home of Leslie Gregg; buildings gone.
No. 24. Built and owned by Mabel Barton.
VILLAGE, NORTH SIDE, No. 13
MAP -- Use browser's back button to return.
No. 1. David Hale conveyed to Stephen Collins in 1808, and Stephen to his son, James, in 1826; the present house and old barn were built by the Collinses. In 1847 Abner Hoit, Sr., purchased of James Collins, and here resided for about five years; in 1852 conveyed to his son, Joseph B., who resided here until his decease, and he in turn was followed by his son, Daniel W., who died in 1912, when the same passed to his brother, George H. Hoit, and he sold to Alonzo B. Currier.
No. 2. Originally the home of Thomas Little; afterwards of John McIntire, who, March 4, 1828, conveyed to William Sargent; owned by him until his decease in 1844, and his widow remained in possession of the same twenty years after his decease; Story and Richards and Henry L. Flanders followed in succession; the buildings were destroyed by fire during the ownership of Mr. Flanders. The house and barn stood upon the northerly side of the road near the northeast corner of the cemetery; on the southerly side of the road stood another small building, which was sometimes used for an ice-house; it was taken down, and a workman, falling from the beam, was killed.
No. 3. About 1867 Hazen Blood purchased the house standing upon the Jewett place, so-called, site No. 1 in district No. 10, and removed same to present location; sold to G. Henry Hoit about 1870, where he has since resided.
No. 4. Built by Charles L. Davis in 1904, and purchased by Eugene A. Whipple in 1918.
No. 5. Richard and Philo H. Pattee conveyed to William H. Foss in 1853, and by him conveyed to Artemas Whitney in 1855; after the decease of Mr. Whitney it was owned by his widow; she sold to Mrs. Lewis H. Hoyt; present owner, Maurice W. Hambleton.
No. 6. Built in 1871 by Greer and Johnson, and a few yarse [sic] thereafter was destroyed by fire, and rebuilt by same owners. Mr. Johnson afterwards purchased his partner's interest. Some years after it was nearly destroyed by fire again, and subsequently purchased by Frederick Hambleton.
No. 7. Built by the owner, George H. Porter, in 1907.
No. 8. Built by the owner, George M. Story, in 1891.
No. 9. Built by Mrs. Martha M. Moore in 1876, followed by her daughter, Mrs. Mary S. Hoit; now owned by Mary Belle Bartlett.
No. 10. Built by the owner Frank T. Moore, in 1874.
No. 11. Very early there was a house which stood upon this site; owner and date unknown. In 1856 Rodney G. Stark built the next residence upon this site, which was afterwards owned by his two sons, Lewis H. and William F.; afterwards purchased by Frank A. Stark, and in 1903 extensively remodelled and sold to Mrs. Mary Gale Colburn; present owner, Gerard Pellens.
No. 12. Built by John Adams in 1859; subsequent owners Harriet Johnson, Ernest Johnson; now owned by his widow.
No. 13. Built by Jeremiah Austin in 1849; afterwards owned by Hannah Sargent, her heirs; Frank E. Paige, present owner.
No. 14. Built by Benjamin W. Pattee probably in 1837, and owned by him and his heirs until 1853, when John S. Carr became a purchaser; he was succeeded by Capt. Charles Stinson, his widow, Mary A. Stinson, Edson L. Rand, and Mrs. Mary Gale Colburn, present owner.
No. 15. Richard Pattee acquired from the estate of Peter Pattee; Richard built the front portion of the house as it now stands in 1856; present owner, Peter W. Pattee.
No. 16. Second Methodist Episcopal Church, completed 1890, and dedicated November 11, 1890.
No. 17. Owned by Lemuel N. Pattee in 1844; in 1858 entirely remodelled; in 1890 purchased by Knights of Pythias Association, and again remodelled as it now stands.
No. 18. Built in 1871 by Nahum Baldwin; Edward C. Shirley, John M. Parker and his heirs have been owners; purchased in 1919 by Mabel Blair.
No. 19. Episcopal Church; construction of this building was begun in 1868, and completed in 1869.
No. 20. Built by the owner, Mrs. Lucy I. Perley, in 1909.
No. 21. Early built by Capt. John Smith; purchased by Lucy Hadley in 1860; subsequently owned by her daughter, Lucinda L. Ireland, and her granddaughter, Lucy I. Perley.
No. 22. Was originally the site of the brick schoolhouse, district No. 13; present block was built in 1875 by Edward H. Colby, lot purchased in 1874.
No. 23. Built by Rodney G. Stark in 1834; Mr. Stark was a tailor, and was quite largely engaged in the manufacture of custom clothing; his shop, or manufactory, stood a short distance east of the house in the open field; the subsequent owners of the property have been James Allison, E. H. Colby, Mrs. Lewis Sargent and her heirs.
No. 24. Built by Rodney Johnson in 1860; present owner, his daughter, Isadore Johnson.
No. 25. Moved from the Thomas Saltmarsh place, site No. 25, school district No. 10, in 1869, by Thomas R. Butterfield; George N. White and his daughter, Mrs. Anna I. Blaisdell, and her heirs have since owned the building.
No. 26. Built by Orville Gordon in 1909; afterwards owned by J. L Ford, Frank L. Hough; present owner, Ernest A. Cilley.
No. 27. Built by Calvin Richards in 1872; owned by his daughter, Mrs. Carrie A. McQuesten; purchased by Ralph H. Hoit in 1919.
No. 28. Built by Edward Fletcher in 1872; now owned by Arthur B. Kelley.
No. 29. Built by James E. Moore in 1877; purchased by George W. Colby in 1882.
No. 30. Built by John W. Story in 1883; purchased by Mrs. Mary Ella Bartlett; now owned by E. Byron Bartlett.
No. 31. Episcopal rectory, built in 1912; purchased in 1919 by Ralph E. Wakefield.
No. 32. Built by S. J. Tenney in 1851; succeeded by Alfred Stevens, Ernest Johnson, George W. Sargent, his widow; purchased in 1919 by Eugene A. Whipple.
No. 33. Was originally located on the site of No. 32, and was removed to the present location; originally constructed by Enoch Dow, or his descendants; Mrs. Jane Foote was the owner for a number of years; remodelled and reconstructed by Charles L. Davis in 1910, and afterwards purcbased by Willis A. Martin.
No. 34. For a number of years the small house, owned and occupied by Nancy Langdon, stood upon this site and removed to No. 79. In 1891, T. W. Richards built the present residence; the following owners were Frank Dodge, Amos Clark; present owner, George W. Kidder.
No. 35. Built by A. W. Russell in 1872; George W. Colby and George Warriner have since been owners.
No. 36. Built by Jacob Follansbee in 1870; burned about 1879 and Mrs. Nancy Batchelder was burned to death therein; rebuilt by Eliphalet Richards; now owned by Lewis H. Hoyt.
No. 37. Upon the site of the public library formerly stood a residence, which for many years was the home of Eliphalet Richards, known until 1846 as Eliphalet Richards, Jr.; at his decease he was succeeded by David Pattee, Ziba A. Hoit, until 1883, when John M. Parker purchased, and Frank A. Parker was owner at the time of its removal to site No. 158. This building was probably constructed quite early, and there is a tradition that it was once used as a hostelry, but by whom and when we are unable to authenticate; public library completed and dedicated October 2, 1909.
No. 38. Located where the soldiers' monument now stands, this building was owned by Eliphalet Richards until his decease, and was probably built by him. The building consisted of a store fronting Main Street, quite a commodious hall and two tenements upon the east side; was connected with the hotel by a building about ten feet in width over the street. This connection was removed by A. W. Russell, and now constitutes the ell of the house built by him on North Mast Street, No. 35.
No. 39. The hotel, known as New Hampshire Central House, was likewise a building of the Eliphalet Richards estate, and may have been built by some predecessor; it has had numerous owners and occupants since Mr. Richards' decease in 1859, and is now owned by Frederick A. Condon.
No. 40. The building originally standing upon this site was one of the Eliphalet Richards estate buildings, and was moved by Eliphalet Richards, 2nd; afterwards purchased by his brother, Isaiah Richards; now located N. 163, south side Elm Street; used as a two tenement dwelling-house. The present building standing east of the hotel was built by Eliphalet Richards, 2nd, in 1860, and is now owned by Dr. Maurice A. Stark.
No. 41. Probably built by Moses Poor subsequent to 1823. In 1847 his heirs conveyed to Alfred Story; present owner, Miss Mardie L. Story.
No. 42. Owned by Samuel Stinson in 1818, and afterwards by Dr. John Stevens, who sold to David Steele May 12,1821; the subsequent owners have been David Pattee, E. L. C. Colby and Charles G. Barnard.
No. 43. Was originally the law office of David Steele, and stood on Main Street just north of No. 24; about 1880 it was moved to its present location and formed a part of the present house; now owned by Albert M. Jenks.
No. 44. Schoolhouse, built in 1874.
No. 45. In 1820 Samuel Butterfield, a lawyer, was the owner of this residence; John McAffee of Bedford in 1822-27; David Steele and Eliphalet Richards sold to Dr. Ziba Adams in 1827, who was the owner until his decease in 1841, and Mrs. Adams bequeathed to her sister, Mrs. Warren S. Richards; Condon, Day and Richards and Frederick A. Condon succeeded.
No. 46. Built by Frank B. Flanders, just east of No. 43, moved from original site near No. 45 in 1893, and reconstructed as dwelling; now owned by Myrtie B. Marshall.
No. 47. Block built by Poore and Colby in 1895; now owned by A. M. Jenks & Son.
No. 48. Built by Calvin Richards, Sr., about 1828; owned by him until his decease in 1836; Rev. Isaac Willey purchased the same in 1846, and he was succeeded by G. Byron Moore, Eliphalet Poore, and his son, Hebert E. Poore.
No. 49. Built in 1833 by Benaiah Richards; it remained in possession of the family until the decease of his daughter, Mrs. Mary E. Conner, in 1914; purchased by Z. Taylor Pierce.
No. 50. Small tenant house, built by Capt. John Smith, stood upon the present site of the Paige Block and back from the street about fifty feet. In the early fifties, during a spring freshet, a huge cake of ice carried away the well curb and sweep, and the occupants of the house fled for safety.
No. 51. Built by Henry E. Blaisdell in 1869; in 1871 owned by Hazen Blood; destroyed by fire in 1876; rebuilt by Blood; Paige Brothers succeeded Blood; partially destroyed by fire a second time; since owned by Paige Brothers, the building has been remodelled, enlarged and rendered suitable for various occupations.
No. 52. Depot.
No. 53. The present freight depot was used for a passenger station from the opening of the road until about 1880, and located upon the site of the present passenger depot.
No. 54. Garage, built by Charles G. Barnard in 1919; this stands upon the site of a building originally built for a tailor shop, and John W. Smith occupied the same for that purpose for several years; afterwards used for a shoemaker's shop; removed to site No. 85 and converted into a tenement house; destroyed by fire; afterwards rebuilt; owned by Mrs. Laura A. Shearer.
No. 55. Built by Capt. John Smith probably before 1825; the building west of the house over the brook was used as a tannery; premises were occupied by his son, Alfred, who afterwards became the owner; later by his descendants, John and Walter Nesmith; now by Charles G. Barnard.
No. 56. Town house built in 1869; reconstructed in 1889.
No. 57. Built by Daniel B. Austin in 1865; afterwards owned by T. W. Richards; at present by his heirs.
No. 58. Congregational Church, built in 1845; enlarged in 1869; remodelled in 1890.
No. 59. Built in 1858 by David S. Carr; subsequent owners, Jeremiah Austin, Mrs. Lemuel N. Pattee and Mrs. Mary A. Parker.
No. 60. Built by Capt. John Smith; quite early occupied as a store; J. S. and D. S. Carr, G. Byron Moore and the Parkers have been engaged in trade here. See Merchants and Traders.
No. 61. Union Market built in 1888 by Johnson and Sargent; afterwards owned by Walter L. Sargent; at present by Charles G. Barnard.
No. 62. Built in 1877 by A. J. Sargent; removed from present site of Union Market.
No. 63. Stable built by Walter L. Sargent after construction of Union Market.
No. 64. Sash and blind manufactory built in 1868 by Kendrick Kendall, Henry W. Hadley and Lewis H. Stark. See Industries.
No. 65. Blacksmith shop, built by Eliphalet Richards in 1895, for John Root who for several years occupied the same.
No. 66 and 67. Built by Ernest and Isadore Johnson in 1906.
No. 68. Built by Joseph O. Foss in 1890; now owned by Mrs. Isabelle T. Dow.
No. 69. Built by the owner, Natt H. Perley, in 1892.
No. 70. Built in 1875 by John Carlton; now owned by William U. Carlton.
No. 71. Built by the owner, Mrs. Asenath Symonds, in 1898.
No. 72. Built by Jesse Nichols about 1870; afterwards purchased by Wallace Caldwell; now owned by George Hambleton.
No. 73. Built by Andrew J. Phelps in 1870; owned since 1875 by James R. Saxton.
No. 74. Built by William H. Dow in 1885; now owned by Willis T. Ryder.
No. 75. Built by Homer E. Grady in 1893; now owned by Bertrand Perkins.
No. 76. Formerly the Nathan Sawyer house in Weare; erected on this site in 1909; owned by Mrs. Emma R. Knowlton.
No. 77. Built by Walter Foote in 1883; been owned by Clark E. Morse, Willie Worden, now by Mrs. Emma R. Knowlton.
No. 78. Built by Charles E. Smith in 1875; purchased by Charles H. Gregg in 1883.
No. 79. Moved in 1891 from site No. 34 on the Mast Road; now owned by Mrs. Clara A. Kidder.
No. 80. On Sargent interval, built by T. W. Richards in 1884; now owned by his heirs.
No. 81. On west side of Church Street, built by T. W. Richards in 1891; now owned by John P. Longway.
No. 82. Built by Eliphalet Richards in 1890; now owned by his heirs.
No. 83. Built by Jacob R. Bailey in 1884; Mrs. Caltha Whitcomb and Mrs. Julina Pattee have been the owners; now owned by Frank Brigham.
No. 84. Built by Darius Richards in 1873; purchased by Rodney Johnson in 1875; present owner, James C. Brown.
No. 85. Small house on westerly side of Clinton Street and northerly of residence of James C. Brown; it formerly stood on site No. 54, north of the passenger depot, burned about 1885; present residence erected soon after; for a number of years the home of Mrs. Hannah Bailey; now owned by Mrs. Laura A. Shearer.
No. 86. Built by Henry Moore in 1874; house enlarged by Robinson Brown in 1892; present owner, George A. Phelps.
No. 87. Built by John P. Manning in 1871; among the various owners have been Rodney Johnson, Joseph B. Hoit, Etta M. Seeton, John Root, Franklin H. Woodman, Charles H. Whipple and Mrs. Samuel L. Marden.
No. 88. Built by Jacob Follansbee in 1871; purchased by Selwin T. Martin about 1877.
No. 89. Built by Leslie D. Scribner in 1872; now owned by George Pattee.
No. 90. Built by Charles G. Barnard in 1869; purchased by George W. Paige; now owned by his widow.
No.91. Built by T. W. Richards in 1887; now owned by Herbert W. Russell.
No. 92. Built by T. W. Richards in 1887; afterwards purchased by Mrs. Sabra Jones.
No. 93. Engine house, built in 1885.
No. 94. Built by Eliphalet Richards in 1893; now owned by his daughter, Mrs. Sophronia McElroy.
No. 95. Built by Kendall, Hadley & Co. in 1883; purchased in 1919 by Charles K. Mudge.
No. 96. Post-office building built on the easterly side of Main Street, northerly of the residence of Miss Mardie L. Story, by John W. Story in 1883; moved to its present location on Church Street, and there occupied as a post-office by Robinson Brown, Selwin T. Martin and Bertha L. Martin; owned by Willis A. Martin, and used as a coal and wood office.
No. 97. Built by Almon Lufkin in 1871, located on southerly side of river on land now owned by John W. Sargent; afterwards moved to Carr's Corner; occupied by Almon Lufkin, jeweler, for a number of years; after his decease purchased by Edward P. Morgan and moved to its present location on Church Street.
No. 98. Congregational vestry, built in 1875; afterwards sold to Edwin A. Blaisdell and used as a store building.
No. 99. Built in 1885, by Alonzo Foote; subsequent owners, Stephen Cheney and his daughter, Mrs. George A. Frachuer.
No. 100. Built by Charles E. Stowell in 1887; owned by Fred Gould.
No. 101. Built by the owner, Harold R. Phelps, in 1915.
No. 102. Built by Johnson C. McIntire and William S. Harrington; now owned by William S. Harrington.
No. 103. Built by Marzella A. Merrill in 1890; now owned by Charles E. Phelps.
No. 104. Built by John Caraway in 1888; afterwards owned by Mrs. James Colby, and succeeded by her daughter, Clara Rose.
No. 105. Built by Walter Foote in 1881; purchased by Joseph Carraway in 1888; succeeded by Orville C. Gordon, he by his daughter, Emma F. Gordon.
No. 106. Formerly stood on the northerly side of Elm Street on site No. 140, where John L. Whipple's house now stands; the home of Stephen Blaisdell from 1841 to 1887; moved to its present location in 1887; now owned by Walter P. Pattee.
No. 107. Built by Peter Pattee before 1830; after his decease the home of his widow during her lifetime, his son, Philo H., and his grandson, Walter P. Pattee.
No. 108. Built in 1875 by Lorenzo Jones; John Wilson and Frederick B. Luscombe have been subsequent owners.
No. 109. Built by Jonathan Bell in 1876; Samuel Upton and Mrs. Wesley P. Stone have been owners.
No. 110. Built by Edith M. Hadley in 1917.
No. 111. Built by Henry H. Stark in 1910.
No. 112. Built by owner, Frank A. Stark, in 1915.
No. 113. Built by Alonzo M. Carlton in 1893; destroyed by fire in fall of 1897; rebuilt in 1900; occupied by owner.
No. 114. Built by owner, Reuben W. Carlton, in 1913.
No. 115. Built by owner, Harry Sanborn, in 1914.
No. 116. Built in 1895 by George A. Hayford; subsequently owned by Charles S. Parker, Samuel A. Kidder, Joseph Carraway, Jr., Mrs. Joseph Carraway and Miss Ida Kidder.
No. 117. Built in 1859 by William J. Kidder; afterwards owned by Eliphalet Richards, J. L. Paul, William Beals and John Ladue.
No. 118. Built by James C. Brown in 1879; destroyed by fire in 1904; rebuilt by Miss Minnie Ellingwood; afterwards owned by Harry Titus and Waldo Hodgman.
No. 119. Owned by Amos Mills in 1836, probably built by him; has since been in possession of the Mills family, his son, Nathaniel, and grandsons, Frank and Edgar, present owners, inheriting.
No. 120. Purchased and moved by Edwin G. Bowen from site No. 3, district No. 11; afterwards owned by Prudence, Samuel and Ida Kidder.
No. 121. Built in 1895 by Mrs. Alonzo M. Carlton; now owned by Mrs. Laura A. Gerould.
No. 122. Built by John Carlton in 1875; purchased 1890 by Charles S. Parker, present owner.
No. 123. Built by owner, William F. Parker in 1917.
No. 124. Built in 1891 by George B. Stevens; purchased in 1906 by Mrs. E. Gertrude Moore; present owner, Charles C. Moore.
No. 125. Built by Charles A. Whipple in 1870; since been owned by Warren Whipple and Seth Straw.
No. 126. Built in 1871 by Butterfield, Story and Warren; purchased the same year by Leonard Rowell, and owned by William S. Rowell until 1915, when Luther G. Dearborn purchased the same.
No. 127. Built in 1871 by Butterfield, Story and Warren; purchased in1872 by L. Abbie Warren, now owned by her daughter, Mary A. Warren.
No. 128. Built by David R. Beleher in 1869; afterwards owned by Mrs. Louisa Kidder, Henry T. Kelley, Rev. David P. Hatch and present owner, Harry S. Parker.
No. 129. Built by Lewis H. Stark in 1870; now owned by his widow.
No. 130. Built by Henry W. Hadley in 1870; at present owned by Mrs. Clara A. Stark.
No. 131. Built by owner, Frank A. Parker, in 1895.
No. 132. Built by Kendall, Stark and Parker in 1888; now owned by George Greer.
No. 133. Built by Kendall, Stark and Parker in 1888; now owned by Otis Greer.
No. 134. Built by Kendall, Stark and Parker in 1888; now owned by Fred Watt.
No. 135. Built in 1893, by Charles R. McCollom; now owned by Ernest Goodale Carpenter.
No. 136. Built in 1892 by Charles R. McCollom; now owned by Ethel F. Fox.
No. 137. Built in 1892 by Charles R. McCollom; now owned by Ernest C. Brown.
No. 138. Jedediah Sabin was in business here from 1845 to 1854, succeeded by Elijah Johnson, Henry Damon, Moore and Campbell and present owner, Frank T. Moore.
No. 139. Built by Edson L. Rand in 1877 for a tin shop and store; owned by Herbert J. Richards and used for same purpose.
No. 140. Built by John L. Whipple, present owner, in 1887, the house of Stephen Blaisdell now standing on site No. 106 formerly stood here.
No. 141. Built by T. W. Richards in 1864; owned by Edwin A. Blaisdell since 1873.
No. 142. Built by Ira L. Bell in 1884; residence of his widow and daughter.
No. 143. Built by James Neal in 1895; now owned by Alfred W. Poore.
No. 144. Built by Luther Richards in 1832; now owned by his son, Norman L. Richards.
No. 145. Built by Jonathan Bell in 1884; owned by Mary A. Sibley, Richard Taylor and Edwin A. Straw.
No. 146. Built by owner, Willey P. Paige, in 1888.
No. 147. Built by T. W. Richards in 1882.
No. 148. Small house owned by Willey P. Paige, built about 1916.
No. 149. Built by John Abbott in 1914.
No. 150. Built by George Abbott in 1911, and by him occupied.
No. 151. Formerly in district No. 12 owned by Hugh Moore, who conveyed to Butler Truell in 1833; he owned the same until 1857; Isaac J. Paige, Ira L. Bell and William A. Holt until his decease; now by his daughter, Mrs. Lillian Richardson.
No. 152. Lieut. Little's mill site. See Industries of Piscataquog Valley.
No. 153. Built about 1875 by Alonzo C. Day, previous residence having been destroyed by fire; owned by William B. Morgrage.
No. 154. Built by John B. Lucian; present owner, Henry E. Eaton.
No. 155. Built by Andrew J. Morgrage in 1876; owned by his widow.
No. 156. Built in part by Daniel V. Morgrage and finished by Franklin H. Woodman in 1872; subsequently owned by Mrs. William C. Flanders; present owner, William A. Paige.
No. 157. Built in 1873 by George W. Greeley; had various owners; now owned by Mrs. Mary Ann Marshall.
No. 158. Moved from location of library site No. 37; now owned by Mrs. Mary A. Straw.
No. 159. Built by Isaac J. Paige in 1871; now owned by his daughter, Mrs. Lottie E. Dow.
No. 160. Built in 1870 by Benjamin Saulpaugh; now owned by his heirs.
No. 161. Built in 1882 by Eliphalet Richards; soon after sold to Mrs. Louise McCollom; now owned by George W. Prichard.
No. 162. Built by Kendall, Stark and Parker in 1888; now owned by Rev. Stephen H. Robinson.
No. 163. See No. 40.
No. 164. Built by Harry Saxton about 1872; now owned by George E. Flanders.
No. 165. Built by Eliphalet Richards in 1889; now owned by Mrs. Sabra Dearborn.
No. 166. Built by Eliphalet Richards in 1889.
No. 167. Originally stood on site No. 168; moved to its present location by Eliphalet Richards.
No. 168. Harness-maker's shop owned by Francis S. Dearborn; first built upon the westerly side of Elm Street, moved to its present location, formerly site of No. 167, in 1890.
No. 169. Samuel Austin sold to Eliphalet Richards in 1841; Eliphalet Richards to Ira Davis in 1850; Ira Davis to James Sherburne in 1856; his heirs, W. F. Samson and Mrs. Jenny Avery succeeded.
No. 170. Early owned by Eliphalet Richards; successive owners have been Dr. Alonzo F. Carr, Alfred Woodbury, Eliphalet Richards, 2nd, Walter L. Sargent, Dr. Henry W. Loxton and Mrs. Jenny Avery. The front part of the house is of recent formation, construced about 1870.
No. 171. Abram Melvin sold to Daniel B. Warren; Mr. Warren to Jedediah P. Sabin of Salisbury, Mass.; Mr. Sabin to Elijah Johnson in 1854; Mr. Johnson to Jesse Nichols, and Jesse Nichols to Eliphalet Richards.
No. 172. Built by Charles H. Barnard in 1896; now owned by Clara L. Blake.
No. 173. Built by Mrs. Hannah Gregg in 1896; now owned by Mrs. Frank E. White.
No. 174. Built by John B. Lucian in 1896, present owner.
No. 175. Built by William S. Rowell in 1909; now owned by his heirs.
No. 176. Built by owner, Hortense V. Bell, in 1911.
No. 177. Built by Fred A. Carraway in 1898; now owned by Robert M. Gordon.
No. 178. Was the home of Capt. Eliphalet Richards, Revolutionary soldier; and the house was built by him probably in 1784 or 1785; here his children were born, and here he and his widow died; since his decease the house has been owned by Alfred Poor, Eliphalet Richards, Albert Whittemore, Andrew J. Sargent, George W. Colby and William H. Colby.
No. 179. Built by Charles R. McCollom in 1896; afterwards owned by John B. Woodbury and Misses Ambrose.
No. 180. Built in 1894 by Charles R. McCollom; now owned by heirs of Mrs. Martha Flint.
No. 181. Built in 1893 by Charles R. McCollom; now owned by William H. Woodbury.
No. 182. Built by Benjamin Saulpaugh about 1870 for a paint shop; converted into a dwelling-house about 1888; now owned by Abbie S. Jones.
No. 183. Built by George W. Prichard in 1892; now owned by George W. Muzzey.
No. 184. Built by Charles F. Gove, Esq., before 1839, and by him conveyed to Jason Miller; now owned by his son, W. Frank Miller.
No. 185. Shed used in conjunction with gristmill, built subsequent to grist mill.
No. 186. Built by Parker, Kendall and Stark in 1883; now owned by W. Frank Miller.
No. 187. Built by Parker, Kendall and Stark in 1884; now owned by E. O. Humphrey.
No. 188. Built by Parker, Kendall and Stark in 1832; now owned by George Gove.
No. 189. Built by Parker, Kendall and Stark in 1882; now owned by Mrs. Adah Rand.
No. 190. Built by Parker, Kendall and Stark in 1882; now owned by Stillman Lathrope.
No. 191. Barn moved from New Boston in 1911 by Herbert J. Richards; now owned by Edwin A. Straw.
No. 192. Gristmill built in 1833 by J. M. and D. A. Parker and Kendrick Kendall; afterwards purchased by Parker Brothers; in 1907 sold to Robert M. Gordon.
No. 193. Built by Lewis Sargent in 1876; now owned by his heirs.
No. 194. Built in 1871 by Steam Mill Company; first used for the manufacture of sash and blinds; afterwards for shoes, finishing of leather, garage, store-room; at present owned and used by Charles C. Moore for a grain store.
No. 195. Built in 1886 for a pool-room; afterwards converted into a dwelling-house; now owned by Mrs. Emma R. Knowlton.
No. 196. Built by John F. Vance in 1884; now owned by Mrs. Emma R. Knowlton.
No. 197. Built by T. W. Richards about 1880; now owned by his heirs.
No. 198. Built by T. W. Richards about 1880; now owned by his heirs.
No. 199. Built by Jesse Nichols, south of Kendall, Hadley & Co. 's shop, in the early seventies; first used by H. R. DeWitt as a machine shop; afterwards by Homer E. Grady in the manufacture of latch needles; moved to present site about 1902 and finished for a dwelling; owned by heirs of Rodney Johnson.
No. 200. Built by Johnson and Nichols about 1871 or 1872; now owned by heirs of Rodney Johnson.
No. 201. Built by Johnson and Nichols about 1871 or 1872; now owned by heirs of Rodney Johnson.
No. 202. Built by Johnson and Nichols about 1871 or 1872; now owned by heirs of Rodney Johnson.
No. 203. Built by Jesse Nichols; moved to its present site about 1880; now owned by Rodney Johnson heirs.
No. 204. Built by town for storage of tools.
JOHN PLUMER SCHOOL DISTRICT, No. 14
MAP --Use browser's back button to return.
No. 1. Owned and occupied by Daniel George; afterwards by Cyrus George, his daughter, Hannah J. Tibbetts, John Murphy; present owner, Paul Anderson; building burned; rebuilt.No. 2. Lot No. 14 in 2nd range, settled by Benjamin Stevens before the Revolution; afterwards owned by Mr. Gilmore, followed by John Plumer, who conveyed to Joseph Tirrell in 1863; present residence built by Joseph Tirrell; his son, Albert S. Tirrell, present owner.
No. 3. Built by Jesse W. Tirrell in 1907; now owned by George G. Cross.
No. 4. Part of lot No. 15 in 1st range, owned by James Barr, who conveyed to Daniel Barr in 1808; afterwards owned by Joseph A. Chamberlain, David A. McAllister, George F. Worthley, William H. Boynton.
No. 5. Lot No. 16 in 1st range early settled by Robert Gilmore, his son, Whitefield Gilmore, in 1833, Capt. Hiram Tirrell, succeeded by his son, Clinton H., and grandsons, Lewis O. and Bert G. Tirrell.
No. 6. Built and owned by A. N. Tirrell.
No. 7. Built by Nathan A. Tirrell in 1904.
No. 8. Home of John Plumer until his decease; afterwards his heirs; A. R. Gage, Jesse W. Tirrell 1869 to 1906, George F. Heald.
No. 9. In 1876 Joseph B. Jenness, Abram Blake, Lyman Bartlett, John Hunter, Melvin Buck.
No. 10. Home of John Kimball from about 1830 to his removal to Kansas in 1856; he was succeeded by Alfred Poor, Acel P. Jeffs, E. F. Alken, Charles M. Aiken, Edward C. Emerson, John K. Piper, Henry L. Kimball; at present owned by St. Anselm's College.
No. 11. School house; building gone.
No. 12. St. Anselm's College built in 1891; destroyed by fire in 1892 and rebuilt in 1893.
No. 13. Lot No. 17 in 1st range, home of James Eaton until his decease in 1809; his heirs conveyed to Moses Smith of Haverhill, Mass., and Smith to Richard Kimball; Henry Kimball, Samuel Jones, Charles S. Fisher, Jacob W. Jeffs, Joseph Manning, Dudley V. Gilman; owned by St. Anselm's College.
No. 14. Home of Col. David Worthley; his son, George, at present owned by St. Anselm's College.
No. 15. Built in 1894 by Mrs. Hattie Emerson.
No. 16. Built by George F. Worthley; occupied by Levi Hutchinson; owne afterwards by George Jackson; now owned by Mary J. Fullerton and Emma J. Langdell.
No. 17. Built by Dennis Morgan about 1906; afterwards owned by his widow, Francena Morgan, and her heirs.
No. 18. Built and owned by William Alger.
No. 19. Home of Ira W. Pennock; afterwards his daughter, Cora Robinson; house partially burned; rebuilt; now owned by Ervin French.
No. 20. Owned by Philomene Brunnelle.
No. 21. Built by Jennie Carreau.
No. 22. Built by Dona Bazin.
No. 23. Built by Edward Dennis in 1915, West Side Terrace; now owned by Luc Dennis.
No. 24. Built by Isaac Boucher, Glen Ridge, West Side Terrace.
No. 25. Built by Albert S. Young.
No. 26. Built by Louis Shank.
No. 27. Built in 1909 by Fred W. Ticehurst.
No. 28. Built by Sidney A. Farrow; now owned by Thomas Julius; stands at the intersection of Mast and Shirley Hill Road.
No. 29. Built by Mrs. Albertine Levesque.
No. 30. Built in 1911 by John S. Noreen.
No. 31. Built by owner, Louisa Bisson.
No. 32. Built by Alfred Therrieu.
No. 33. Built by Hercules Therrieu.
No. 34. Built by Lelia Therrieu.
No. 35. Built by Joseph Rousseau.
No. 36. Built by W. H. Bickford.
No. 37. Built by owner, John Thomas.
No. 38. Built by owner, John Theall.
No. 39. Store building, built in 1919 by _____ Roy.
No. 40. Built by owner, Fred Roy.
No. 41. Built by owner, Joseph Roy.
No. 42. Built by owner, Adolphus Desauliners.
No. 43. Built by owner, Henry Roy.
No. 44. Owned by John Cloutier.
No. 45. Owned by John Gagnon.
No. 46. Built by owner, Edward Hammall.
No. 47. Owned by Napoleon Carron.
No. 48. Owned by Alcide Carron.
No. 49. Built and owned by Lawrence Hebert.
No. 50. Built and owned by Wilfred Hammel.
No. 51. Owned by Jerry Roy.
No. 52. Built and owned by John King.
No. 53. Built and owned by Regis Roy.
No. 54. Owned by Phoebe Hebert.
No. 55. Built and owned by Jean B. Moquin.
No. 56. Part of old Colonel Worthley estate; Worthley heirs conveyed to Gilman Clough in 1883; Clough conveyed to Napoleon Perault in 1887, who built the buildings in 1893 and sold to Declos Bros. in 1897.
No. 57. Built by Declos Bros.
No. 58. Built by Declos Bros.
No. 59. Built by Henry Gillette.
No. 60. Built by Pamaskryank.
No. 61. Built by Maria Goudreault.
No. 62. Built by Frank Breton.
No. 63. Built by M. Pellerin.
No. 64. Built by William Proulx.
No. 65. Built by Charles Thilcher about 1857; owned by Edmond Pinard.
No. 66. Built by Arthur Vivier; now owned by Olympe Monette.
No. 67. Store built by Edmond Pinard.
No. 68. Built by Edmond Pinard; owned by Victor L. Morency.
No. 69. Built by Edmond Pinard; owned by Desire Laneville.
No. 70. Built by Edmond Pinard.
No. 71. Built by owner, L. A. Levesque.
No. 72. Built by owner, William G. Lussier.
No. 73. Built by Edmond Pinard.
No. 74. Built by Edmond Pinard.
DOW SCHOOL DISTRICT, No. 15
MAP --Use browser's back button to return.
No. 1. Owned and occupied many years by George K. Richards; at his decease Mrs. Hattie Little was in possession for a few years; present owner, Mary A. Carrol; buildings burned in 1863, and rebuilt by Mr. Richards.
No. 2. Occupied by True E. Richards; after his decease by his widow, Sophia; house gone.
No. 3. Owned and occupied by Thomas W. Richards; after his disposal various parties have resided and owned, among whom are James B. Hunkins, Daniel W. Stevens, C. H. Cunningham and Ferdina Bilodeau.
No. 4. Part of lot No. 10, in 11th range owned by Abijah Reed in 1810; Reed sold to Benjamin Stevens; Benjamin Stevens to John C. Hall; Hall to Lucian D. Hunkins in 1842, "the westerly half of the westerly half of the lot," originally part of the old Richards property; house built by Mr. Hunkins, and property owned during his lifetime; since has been owned by his son, George W. Hunkins.
No. 5. Owned in 1846 by Richard P. Collins, succeeded by Rodney Worthley, William Worthley, Henry G. Farringion, James Keunard, Harrison S. Burns, Stephen Dwinnells and his heirs.
No. 6. Built by Charles Carrol; afterwards owned by Gideon Belisle; present owner, Anthony Kemos.
No. 7. Early owned by James Richards; may have built it; residence of Nathaniel George in 1848 and for many years thereafter; R. T. S. Shepard, subsequent; Victoria Belisle, present owner; old buildings gone; new house built by Belisle in 1915. Near this was the residence of William Bell, whose son, Joshua, was a Revolutionary soldier and is mentioned in the list. The cove in the river, opposite bears the name of this ancient resident.
No. 8. Formerly owned and occupied by Richard Merrill, and it is said a part of the old house was formerly located on the county interval and residence of Capt. Samuel Richards; Robert Shepard and Francois Baribeau have been the principal owners since Merrill.
No. 9. Previously owned by Alphonse Grenier; present owner, Francois Lemay.
No. 10. For many years the home of Samuel Dow, and after his decease the same passed to his son, Samuel J. Dow; present owner, Joseph Michaud.
No. 11. Schoolhouse; gone.
No. 12. Early the home of Jonas Farmer, whose house was on the southerly side of the road; Colonel Daniel Farmer was born here in 1783; known as the Foster place; afterwards known as the Leavitt George place, and was his residence. T. S. Montgomery purchased in 1858; he was succeeded by Franklin Tenney, and the place was occupied by Capt. James Varnum, followed by B. F. Greer and the pressent owner, Daniel Jameson.
No. 13. This property had been the home of the Dows for a number of years; the house was located on the interval near the river; Benjamin Dow was an early resident here, succeeded by Samuel J. Dow until his decease; buildings gone.
No. 14. This was also situated on the interval near the river; formerly the home of Samuel Dow, Sr., known afterwards as the Nehemiah L. Clark place, who was a resident here in the fifties; afterwards owned by Samuel J. Dow; buildings gone.
No. 15. Residence of Trueworthy E. Richards; afterwards by his line of descendants, James, Albert F., Louis E., son, grandson, and great-grandson; afterwards Hattie M. Little, Charles Carrol; present owner, Gertrude E. Foote.
CENTER SOUTH SIDE SCHOOL DISTRICT, No. 16
MAP --Use browser's back button to return.
No. 1. Farm owned by Matthew Patten of Bedford in 1774. In 1795 Jacob and Hannah Jones conveyed to John Gilcbrist description "beginning on the top of the bank of the river Piscataquog on the south side, on the right hand of the road that leads down to Moor's mill." Present residence built by John Gilchrist, Sr.,in 1800; place afterwards owned by his son, John, Jr., and his grandson, Sylvanus B. present owner.
No. 2. Built by Howard Humphrey; at present owned by James M. George.
No. 3. Site of original home of Ebenezer Johnson, on the westerly side of the road.
No. 4. House built by Ebenezer Johnson; Elizabeth Johnson, George Brown, Isaac R. Dewey, Daniel L. Woodbury and Clement Sawyer are among the successive owners; buildings burned in 1916; rebuilt in 1917.
No. 5. Built by Gov. David L. Morril about 1810; although not the immediate successor of Gov. Morril, Marshall Morse, in 1844, George Brown, Isaac R. Dewey, Hannah Tewksbury, John M. Brown, Damon Y. Stearns, Leroy Batchelder, and Cornelia Lull have been owners, in the order given.
No. 6. William Brown; house probably built by William Brown, Sr.; William Brown, Jr., Ira M. Harvey, P. C. Cheney Co., and the present owner, Thomas Sawyer.
No. 7. Bungalow built 1915, and owned by Mrs, Josephine Hardy.
No. 8. Built by Henry M. Burroughs; buildings gone.
No. 9. David A. McAllister, Thomas R. Worthley and his family in his absence, Albert H. George, and present owner, Sarah R. George.
No. 10. Early owned by Moses Poor; here he resided and conducted a store; the barn originally stood upon the north side of the Mast Road; Adams Houston, Charles George, his son, Albert H., and Sarah R. have been the successive owners. This was the original home of Mrs. Mary A. Stinson.
No. 11. Built in 1897 by owner, Thomas R. Taggart.
No. 12. Summer hotel built 1885 by Charles F. and Albert H. George; burned in 1896.
No. 13. Grasmere depot.
No. 14. Built by owner, F. W. Russell, in 1896.
No. 15. Built by Henry M. Burroughs in 1859; buildings gone.
No. 16. Small house built about 1885; occupied by Ann Foster; buildings gone.
No. 17. Summer residence built in 1898 by W. C. Poland.
No. 18. Built by Augustus Bunton; used as a dwelling-house and store; present owner, John Greer.
No. 19. Burned at the time the hosiery was burned; reconstructed; burned again in 1917; occupied by William H. Dow.
No. 20. Blacksmith shop occupied by Henry Lancaster; afterwards dwelling-house upon the same site built by Henry M. Burroughs; buildings gone.
No. 21. Built by George Henry; burned; afterwards rebuilt; owned by J. W. Poland, Elijah Johnson, and Mrs. George P. Henry.
No. 22. Built by George Henry; for some years used by Elijah Johnson for a repair shop; owned by Mrs. George P. Henry.
No. 23. Built by George Henry; afterwards owned by James S. Stevens and his heirs.
No. 24. Owned by George Henry, used as a dwelling-house, and the northerly building as a tannery, vats located upon the easterly side of the road; buildings were afterwards owned by his son, George P. Henry; burned about 1870; rebuilt; now owned by William Hammond and used as a store and dwelling.
No. 25. Built by Mrs. Mary Hammond; now owned by her son, William Hammond. Langmaid's hat manufactory was located near this building.
No. 26. William Bunton owned in the thirties; he was succeeded by Benjamin Greer; afterwards P. C. Cheney Co. The residence of Dea. Thomas Karr, so often mentioned before the incorporation, was near this location.
No. 27. Saw-and gristmill, Mechanics Manufacturing Co., pulp mill, etc. See Industries, Piscataquog Valley.
No. 28. Baptist Church dedicated in 1834.
No. 29. Baptist parsonage built after the church.
No. 30. Home of Lucretia Perry for many years; at present owned by Leslie C. Greer.
No. 31. Owned and occupied for many years by Nicholas S. Merrill; afterwards by his widow; present owner, Henry H. Harris.
No. 32. Schoolhouse, known as No. 16 and afterwards No. 6. In 1875 the district was united with No. 9; schoolhouse purchased by P. C. Cheney Co. and converted into a dwelling.
No. 33. Barn owned by Frank Merrill; moved from the Ebenezer Johnson place, site No. 3, and in 1917 moved back by Clement Sawyer as his present barn at site No. 4.
No. 34. Owned by P. C. Cheney Co.; moved from the mill yard; buildings gone.
No. 35. Owned by P. C. Cheney Co., and since 1873 by Lewis H. Greer and his son, Leslie C. Greer.
No. 36. Once the residence of Dr. John Cushing; afterwards J. W. Poland, John Greer, Whitter, John Peacock, and finally the property of the pulp mill; buildings gone.
No. 37. Owned by the pulp mill; moved to site No. 34.
No. 38. Mill house, for a number of years occupied by the miller at the gristmill; buildings gone.
No. 39. Store building, built by William and George Brown in the last of the fifties; never occupied as a store; hall in upper story; sold to P. C. Cheney, or paper company; moved to pulp mill.