CHAPTER XXIV.
Page 2

The lot upon which this church was built, is the generous gift of the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company, it being their liberal policy to furnish each denomination in the city with a lot whereon to build a church. They have done this as yet in every instance, where religious societies have selected lots east of Elm street. These lots for such purposes, on the west side of the street, have been purchased by the societies occupying them; but it is understood at reduced prices.

Business took such a start, and there was such a demand for lots, that the company decided upon a second sale, which took place October 8, 1839. The lots sold were situated between Hanover and Merrimack streets, and betwixt Elm and Union streets. They sold readily and at prices much higher than those of the first sale.

On the 24 of September, of this year, the people of the town were thrown into great excitement by an affray at Goffstown, in which Mr. Jeremiah Johnson of this town was killed. It was the day of the annual muster; "Goffstown Muster," as the annual parade of the ninth Regiment was more generally known. Johnson was a member of the Manchester Rifle Company commanded by Capt. Ira W. Moore. After dinner, the Rifle Company marched upon the field for manoeuvre and drill. In their march they encountered a hoard of gamblers, who had erected their tables for their various games, in one part of the field. Some of these they tumbled over, and broke down, and the gamblers making resistance, a general melee followed. In the affray, a man by the name of Elbridge Ford, struck Johnson over the head with a club, and fractured his skull. Johnson was taken from the field and his wound cared for; but he died the day following, about 7 o'clock in the evening. Ford was arrested upon the 25th of September, upon a complaint for assault, but Johnson growing worse, he was arraigned, and the case was continued to the next day. On the 26th Johnson having died the evening previous, Ford was arrested on a complaint for murder, and after an examination before Isaac Riddle, Esq. during three days, was committed on the 28th of September. A bill was found against him by the Grand Inquest of the County at Amherst in October following; but the case was continued until October 1840, when he was tried and found guilty of manslaughter. He was sentenced to the state prison for a term of five years. Ford was originally from Nashua but was at work in Manchester for the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company. He was a daring, rough sort of a man, not particularly vicious, and it appearing that he was drawn into the affray without any sort of malicious intent, after a three years imprisonment, upon petition, he was pardoned by the Executive. Johnson lived upon the Mammoth Road, upon the farm now belonging to his heirs, and known as the "Johnson Farm." He left a widow and four small children.

After the second land sale, there as a large accession of inhabitants and building went on more rapidly than ever. Unprepared for such progress, the people of the town in March of this year, had made no more than their usual preparations for town affairs, in the way of appropriations, municipal regulations, and municipal officers. The necessity for a different order of things was apparent to every one. Accordingly a town meeting was called by the Selectmen to be held on the 26th of October to meet this necessity. As the transactions of that meeting were very important, the record of it is mainly transcribed, as follows:

   "Voted on motion of Mr. Bell, That an an [sic] act to establish a system of Police in the town of Portsmouth, and for other purposes, passed June 28th, 1823, and "an act, entitled an act in addition to an act entitled an act to establish a system of Police for the town of Portsmouth, and for other purposes, passed June, 23d, 1823," passed July 1st 1831, be adopted in the town of Manchester."

   "Voted on motion of Mr. Bell, that "an act, entitled an act, defining the powers and duties of fire-wards and other persons in certain cases," passed December 16th, 1828, and "an act, entitled an act, in addition to an act, defining the powers and duties of fire-wards, and other persons in certain cases, passed December 16th, 1828," passed July 3d, 1830, be adopted and in force in the town of Manchester."

   Provided however, that such inhabitants of said town of Manchester, as live remote from the compact part or said town, that is to say, more than one mile form the corner of Amherst and Elm streets, shall be exempted from the operation of the tenth section of said first mentioned act.

   "Voted that the inhabitants of the New Village have the privilege of nominating Fire-wards and Health officers."

   "Chose accordingly

Amory Warren.
Hiram Brown,
David A. Bunton,
Henry S. Whitney,
John H. Maynard,
William P. Farmer,
Timothy J. Carter,
James Wallace,
Mace Moulton,
George W. Tilden,
Issac N. Ford,
Fire-Wards."

   "Voted, to choose a board of Health officers, to consist of three in number."

   Chose accordingly,

George B. Swift,
Zaccheus Colburn,
John D. Kimball,
Health Officers."

   "Voted on motion of Mr. Bell, to discontinue the Public Highway leading from the Amoskeag Bridge towards Manchester Meeting House, Beginning at said Bridge, and extending to the point where Manchester Street intersects the same, Provided that the Court of Common Pleas shall consent thereto, if such consent is by law necessary."

   "Voted that the public highway leading from said Amoskeag Bridge to the store in said Manchester, lately occupied by William P. Farmer, be discontinued, Provided that the Court Common Pleas shall consent thereto, if such consent is by law necessary."1

   "Voted on said motion of Mr. Bell, to discontinue the public highway leading from the house now occupied by David A. Bunton, near Amoskeag Falls to the Stark house so called, Provided that the Court of Common Pleas shall consent, if such consent is necessary."2

Also on motion of Mr. Bell,

   "Voted to discontinue the road leading from said Amoskeag Bridge to the Barrett house, so called, beginning at the north line of the Phillip Stevens farm, and extending to the point below the Stark Mills, where Canal street intersects the same, Provided that the Court of Common Pleas shall consent thereto, if such consent is by law necessary.3

   "Voted on motion of Mr. Bell, that the Selectmen & Fire-wards be authorized to borrow not exceeding one thousand dollars, to purchase engines and apparatus for extinguishing fires, provided the same can be obtained on reasonable terms, and on extended credit."

"Voted that the Selectmen be authorized to borrow one thousand dollars, for the purpose of building the remainder of the Candia road, and repairing that part already built."

The board of Fire-wards organized forthwith, and agreeably to the vote above, purchased an engine, and apparatus for the same. This was the first step towards our present efficient Fire Department. Prior to this, there had been an engine in the Stark yard; but it was owned by that corporation, and this one now purchased, Merrimack, No. 1. was the first engine owned by the town. As early as 1818, there was a fire engine in Piscataquog, now a part of the city, but at the period treated of, a part of Bedford. This engine was obtained through the influence of Isaac Riddle, Esq., and the company having charge of it, was incorporated by a special act of the Legislature.

The Candia Road was forthwith repaired, and finished in accordance with the vote of the town, and on the 28th of November, the Selectmen appointed Hiram Brown, Nehemiah Chase, James Wallace, and J. T. P. Hunt, Police officers of the town of Manchester.

Thus the "New Village" as it was called in the vote of the town, might be considered as fairly recognized and organized. But these "new comers," as the people of the "New Village" were often called, were looked upon as interlopers, by many of the old inhabitants of the town, and so great were their jealousies of them that had they been aware of their prospective power, in spite of their self interest, it is doubtful whether the villagers could have got any sort of votes in their favor at this town meeting. These jealousies soon became mutual and produced confirmed opposition, which was exhibited in a decided manner on various occasions, soon after.

The Representative, the first paper printed in Manchester, was established this year by John Caldwell. The first number of the paper was issued on Friday, the 18th, of October, 1839. It was published every Friday, and advocated the principles of the Democratic party. The Representative was continued until December, 1842, when it was sold to Kimball and Kidder, and merged with the Manchester Democrat which is still published.

The Lowell Street Church, Rev. Mr. Tillotson's, which had been in the course of building through the previous season, was finished and dedicated in Feb. 1840. It is situated on the corner of Lowell and Church street, is of brick. originally was 80 feet in length, by 50 feet in width, and cost $6,500. It has since been enlarged and repaired being 80 feet in length, by 75 in width, and having a beautiful portico in front, while its interior is fitted up with elegance and taste.

The Memorial, the second paper that was published in Manchester, was commenced with the new year, the first number being published Wednesday, the first day of January, 1840, by Joseph C. Emerson. The Memorial was a neutral paper at first and remained so till 1842, when it abandoned its neutral course upon the publication of the Democrat, and advocated the principles of the Whig party. Its name was subsequently changed to the Manchester American,--and more recently, after a union with the Messenger, it was changed to the American and Messenger, under which name it is still published.

Upon the appearance of the Memorial, Mr. Caldwell commenced the publication of a neutral and literary paper of the same size. It was made up of the miscellaneous matter of the Representative, and was continued some six or eight months.

It had become apparent that the inhabitants of the "New Village," would soon outnumber those of the town, if they did not at that time. The people of the village did not talk or act with much moderation. They openly told their intention of controlling the affairs of the town,--and the nominations for town officers by the two parties, seem to have been made with this idea, as all the candidates for the important offices in town, lived at the "New Village," or in its immediate vicinity. At the annual meeting, the votes of the first day showed conclusively, that the people of the "New Village," predominated. Accordingly when about to adjourn on the that day, a motion was made to adjourn to meet at Washington Hall on Amherst street, at ten o'clock, A. M., of the next day. This motion at once produced a most stormy discussion.--Upon putting the question, the utmost confusion prevailed and a poll of the house was demanded. Finally it was proposed that the two parties to the question, should form in lines upon the common, in front of the Town House, and should be counted by the selectmen, thus taking the vote surely and in order. This suggestion met the views of all parties; the question was put by the Moderator and a large portion of the voters went out and formed lines as suggested. While most of the voters had thus left the house, some one made a motion to adjourn the meeting to the next day, then to meet at the Town House; the Moderator put the vote, it was carried, and the meeting was declared adjourned. When the "outsiders" heard of the vote, they rushed into the house--but to no purpose, the meeting was adjourned, and the Moderator would hear no motion. After much confusion, the people left the house, and went home; but on both sides, it was only to rally their forces for the contest the next day. The voters of the "New Village" met the same night in Washington Hall, and laying aside their political preferences, nominated a union ticket for town officers. The next day the parties were at the polls at an early hour,--all under much excitement; so much so, that it soon became apparent that they could not procceed [sic] with the meeting without an increase of the constabulary force it was accordingly

"Voted to postpone the choice of Selectmen until constables be chosen."
They then made choice of thirty constables as follows, viz:

   James McQuestion, J. L. Bradford, David Young, William P. Farmer, Mace Moulton, Matthew Kennedy, Walter French, John H. Copp, Levi Sargent, Adam Gilmore, Jonathan R. Cochran, Isaac C. Flanders, Joseph B. Hall, Jr., Alonzo Boyce, Nehemiah Chase, Taylor L. Southwick, Barton Munsey, Geo. W. Tilden, Josiah Stowell, Thomas Gamble, Jona C. Furbish, E. W. Harrington, Hiram Brown, Alonzo Smith, Reuben Kimball, John H. Maynard, Henry S. Whitney, Jacob G. Cilley, Joseph M. Rowell, and Ebenezer P. Swain.
They then proceeded to elect the board of Selectmen, and made choice of the gentlemen nominated in the caucus at the "New Village," viz:

Amos Weston, Jr.
Jona. T. P. Hunt.
Hiram Brown.
}
} Selectmen.
}

After this ballot, the business of the meeting passed off quietly, the village party, having things their own way. After choosing the usual town officers, they raised a committee, consisting of the selectmen, George Clark, and James Hall, to purchase a "Pauper Farm," without limitation as to the price, and authorised the selectmen to hire such a sum of money as might be necessary to pay for said farm. They also constituted the selectmen a committee to take into consideration the subject of a new division of the town into districts for school purposes.

The villagers were triumphant, but they seem to have been moderate as victors, as the selectmen called the very next meeting for the choice of electors at the Town House.

It may well be imagined that a people of as strong prejudices as those of Manchester, could not look upon these "new comers" over-riding them in a town meeting, with any great degree of complacency, and many stories are told of their remarks, during the excitement. One is told of John Stark, Esquire, or "Justice Stark," as he was commonly designated. He went into the Moderator's desk, and addressed the people thus:
"Who are ye, that are here to act, and to tread upon us in this manner? I'll tell ye who you are!--You're a set of interlopers come here to get a living upon a sand bank, and a d____d poor living you will get let me tell ye!"
Upon this, the "interlopers" made so much disturbance that the "Justice" could not be heard and he left the desk. The result was decisive. The people of the old part of the town saw at once that their power had departed, and that henceforth Manchester was to be controled [sic] by the people of the "New Village."

The various boards of Municipal officers were organized, and they proceeded at once to carry into effect the various contemplated improvements. The fire engine having been purchased at an expense covering the appropriation, a house for its accommodation, was at once built, upon individual responsibility, trusting to a future appropriation. This engine was the "Merrimack, No. 1," and the house for it, the first in our town, was built on the lot on Vine street, now occupied by that engine.

The selectmen performed their duties with promptness and energy. They at once appointed a board of police officers, consisting of Mace Moulton, Jacob G. Cilley, James Wallace, Henry S. Whitney, Nehemiah Chase, Joseph M. Rowell, and Stephen C. Hall.

On the 20th of May, upon petition, they laid out Elm, Bridge, Lowell, Concord, Amherst, Hanover, Manchester, Pine and Chestnut streets, as far as they had been laid out and made passable by the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company. Upon laying out Bridge street, the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company, gave an obligation to the town to erect and maintain a bridge across their canal, and to indemnify the town against all damages for which the town might be liable in consequence of its want of repair or inefficiency.

On the 4th day of July of this year, Mr. J. C. Emerson, commenced the publication of The Manchester Workman. It was a campaign paper, advocated the election of Gen. Harrison, and was discontinued after his election.

A Court's committee, upon a petition of Jonas Harvey and others, had laid out a public highway from the south line of the Company's land, in direction of the Harvey Bridge across the Cohas, known as the "Nutt Road"; on the 22d day of September, upon petition, the Selectmen proceeded to lay out the same and it was built with all convenient dispatch.

In the summer of 1840, the small pox broke out in a family at Towlesville. A Mr. Aiken, of Hallsville took the disease from caressing a dog belonging to this family, and died of it. There was great excitement in the town, and no one could be obtained to bury the corpse. At length Dr. Thomas Brown took the body upon a wheel-barrow, and conveyed it to the cemetery and buried it in the north east corner of the same, where the solitary grave without a monument is still to be seen. The Board of Health recommended general vaccination, and large numbers were vaccinated at the expense of the city. The disease spread no farther however, and the excitement was soon allayed.

The population in 1840 was 3325, showing an increase of 2338 inhabitants in the last ten years, and this increase was principally in the two years last past.

The Presidential election took place November 2d, 1840. The vote in this town was thus:

John W Weeks, 370 Joseph Healey, 284
Stephen Perley, 369 Geo. W. Nesmith, 284
Samuel Hatch, 370 Joseph Cilley, 284
Andrew Pierce, Jr. 370 Andrew Pierce, 284
John Scott, 370 Wm. Bixby, 284
Francis Holbrook, 370 Thos. M. Edwards, 284
Samuel Burns 370 Amos A. Brewster, 284

Samuel Griffin, 3
Isaac Crosby, 3
Albe Cady, 3
Asa Freeman, 3
Freeman Crosby, 3
John D. Quimby, 3
Jared Perkins, 3

The ticket headed John W. Weeks, was elected in the State at large, and its vote was thrown for Martin Van Buren, who was unsuccessful, Gen. Wm. H. Harrison, being chosen President of the United States.

At this meeting, a committee consisting of the Selectmen was raised "to ascertain where and upon what site for a Town House and Burying Ground may be had of the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company, in the new village and report at the next annual meeting."

The Selectmen also made their report at this meeting, dividing the town into nine School Districts, and their report was accepted. (The report is given in full, in the Chapter in relation to Schools.)

This year was remarkable for the progress of the town in permanent improvements. Aside from the buildings built by the Corporations, many other buildings were erected that bespoke the healthy and permanent growth of the place. The second Methodist Episcopal Society built a Chapel of wood, upon Hanover street. The Calvinistic Baptist Society built a commodious brick Church on Manchester street 80 feet in length by 60 feet in width, at an expense of $7000; and many houses were built by private individuals for residence or for rent. The Granite Bridge was also built across the Merrimack, at an expense of $10,000, being 480 feet in length. The Amoskeag Insurance Company, and the noted military company known as the "Stark Guards" were also organized during this year.

In January 1841, the first town meeting was called in the "New Village," at Washington Hall. The Warrant bore date of January 16, notifying a meeting to be held "at Washington Hall, in said Manchester on the first day of February next." The objects of the meeting were to hear a report of the committee upon sites for a Town House and Burying ground; to authorize the building of a Town House and raise money for that purpose; to discontinue certain highways; and to see what the town would vote to do as to the Bald Hill and Calef roads, which had been laid out by the Court's Committees. At the meeting February 1, 1841, the Selectmen made their report as to sites for a town house and burying ground, submitting deeds of lots for those purposes, and one granting certain rights of way, to be delivered to the town upon their complying with certain conditions named therein. One deed conveyed to the town about twenty acres of land for Burying Ground, the same now known as the "Valley Cemetery." The main conditions of the deed were, that the town within two years should discontinue the parts of the old roads intersecting with the streets built and about to be built by the company, and that the land should revert if ever used for any other purpose than a cemetery. (The conditions of this deed are given in the Chapter containing the topography of the city, under the head of Valley Cemetery.) The second deed conveyed to the town ten thousand fee of land at the intersection of Merrimack and Elm streets, and constituting the Northeast corner of what is now Merrimack Square. The main conditions of this deed were, that the same highways should be discontinued as were described in the deed conveying the cemetery, within two years, and that it should revert in case it was used for any other buildings than thsoe [sic] for town purposes and the buildings erected thereon should be used for no other business than that pertaining to town and State affairs, such lectures as should be authorized by the town alone being excepted. The third deed conveyed to the town, provided certain roads were discontinued within two years the right of use of all streets built, or to be built by the Company south of Bridge street and betwixt Elm street and the upper canal, and stipulated to keep them in repair, unless they should at any time, one or all be laid out for pubic highways. After the deeds had been read, upon motion, it was voted, 166 ayes to 136 nays to accept the deed conveying the land for a cemetery and to discontinue the roads stipulated in it.The other two deeds submitted by the committee were accepted by a vote of 162 ayes to 91 nays.

At this day it is difficult to conceive what possible objections could have weighed against these measures in the minds of any individuals. These large and commodious lots were given the town for certain purposes, upon the condition that certain parts of old roads that convened nobody, should be discontinued to make room for streets and buildings for the convenience of every body. Yet there was much opposition to these measures, and it is reasonable to suppose that the prejudices of the people of the old parts of the town were brought to bear upon them, as opposition to them can be accounted for in no other manner. It is highly probable that most of the opposition arose from that cause; for this was the first town meeting held in the "New Village," and at this same meeting a resolution was presented and carried, instructing the selectmen to call the next annual town meeting at some place in this village. The site for the town house appears not to have given satisfaction, and it was

   "Voted that a committee [sic] of three be appointed to ascertain where an on what terms a site can be obtained for a Town House. Also to see if the Amoskeag Company will offer some other lot for a Town House in exchange for the one now granted to the town. Also to ascertain the probable expense of building a suitable Town House, and make a report of the doings at the next annual meeting," and Mac Moulton, Thomas Hoyt, and Geo. W. Morrison, Esqrs., were chosen said committee.
The selectmen were instructed by vote to post the warrant calling the annual meeting in ten suitable places, also to publish it "seasonably in the Representative and Memorial."

On the 19th day of February 1841, upon petition, the Selectmen laid out that part of Orange street betwixt the house of Wilkins and Kidder on Chestnut street, and Elm street, and that part of Union street between Merrimack and Bridge street.

Very important matters were to be acted upon at the annual town meeting. The opposition to the project of a Burying Ground and a Town House ran high. Upon demand, articles were inserted in the warrant to see if the town would vote to rescind the proceedings of the town meeting of the first of February as to those subjects. The friends of those measures had inserted in the warrant articles as to hearing and acting upon the report of the Committee appointed February 1, 1841; in relation to sites for a Burying Ground and Town House; in relation to purchasing a lot for a town house, at the "north, west corner of Merrimack Square;" also one on the "west side of Elm street, opposite of Hanover street," and also as to discontinuing certain roads stipulated in the deeds of those lots. Thus those subjects were to be fully before the annual meeting, and the friends and enemies of the measures proposed, were in full feather for the contest. The annual meeting for 1841, came off at the Baptist Meeting House, on Manchester street, on the 9th day of March. Tuesday the 9th was spent in balloting for State and County officers. On Wednesday the 10th day, after the choice of officers, and acting upon various articles, about which there was little excitement, a motion was made to "pass over the 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th articles in the warrant." These were the articles in relation to the discontinuing of roads and the rescinding certain proceedings of the meeting of February 1, 1841. It was then "voted to take up the 16th article in the warrant," which was to hear and act upon the report of the committee appointed in relation to a site for a Burying Ground and for a Town House. The committee made their report which was to the effect, that they had three deeds from the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company; one conveying the same lot as before, at the north west corner of Merrimack Square for a Town House with similar conditions; another conveying the same lot as before for a Cemetery with similar conditions; and a third, of a "lot on the west side of Elm street, opposite to Hanover street, containing ten thousand square feet, for twenty-five hundred dollars," with similar conditions as to the discontinuance of roads, with the other deeds; and farther stipulating that the town release all interest in the lot at the north west corner of Merrimack Square, and build nothing upon this lot but a Town House, of brick or stone, and necessary out buildings, and that they might use all parts not required for town purposes, "for stores, offices or any other uses they may think proper;" but the committee did not report as to the probable expense of building a Town House. The report of the Committee was accepted, and it was voted to accept the deeds submitted from the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company, "upon the conditions contained therein." It was then voted to discontinue the several roads named in the deed from the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company, and that the Selectmen apply to the Court of Common Pleas for liberty so to do; and that the town release to said Company any claim they might have acquired to the lot "situate at the corner of Elm and Merrimack streets."

A committee of seven, consisting of Messrs. Samuel D. Bell, Geo. Porter, Hiram Brown, Geo. B. Swift, Walter French, J. T. P. hunt, and Alonzo Smith, were then chosen "to superintend and fit up the Cemetery."

It was then voted, "That the town build a Town House the present year;" that "the Selectmen be authorized to raise money by loan, not exceeding twenty thousand dollars, for the purpose of building a Town House," and paying for the lot; they chose a committee, Messrs. John D. Kimball, Edward McQueston, and J. T. P. Hunt, to "superintend the building of the Town House, and out buildings." The articles passed over in relation to rescinding certain votes of the meeting held February 1, 1841, were then dismissed. It was then voted "to accept the deed from the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company, conveying to the town certain rights of way, and also to instruct the committee on the subject of a Town Farm, to ascertain if such a farm could be purchased, "as would be for the interest of the town to purchase, and in that case to apply to the Selectmen to warn a meeting on that subject."

The meeting was then dissolved, and thus ended a town meeting of greater importance to our town, and city, than any other ever held within its limits.

The committee upon the town farm were unwilling to perform their duties, so many farms were presented for their consideration, and at their request the Selectmen called a town meeting by warrant, of date March 19, 1841, to be holden on the third of April following. The objects of the meeting, as expressed in the warrant, were to choose a committee to purchase a town farm; to hear the report of the old committee; to authorize the Superintending committee to build a Town House forthwith; to divide school district No. 3; and to build a Pound. At the meeting all these measures were carried. Messrs. Isaac C. Flanders, George Clark, and Israel Merrill were chosen a committee to purchase a Town Farm. They proceeded forthwith to perform their duties, and in a few days bought the farm of Mr. Moses Davis, being the one now known as the "old Town Farm." The price paid was four thousand dollars, and the deed bore date of April 22, 1841.

The Superintending Committee upon the Town House entertained upon their duties, and the course of the summer built the large and commodious house, now known as the "old Town House." It was built of brick, 90 Drawing 'Old Town Hall' feet in length by 66 feet in width. It had the post office and four stores on the first floor, a Town Hall 63 feet by 70, with two rooms for offices on the second floor; and a hall in the attic, with armories on either side, for the military companies of the town. The building was surmounted with a cupola, on the top of which was an eagle of fine proportions. It was also furnished with a clock, and a fine toned bell, of 2800 lbs. in weight. The whole structure with out buildings, was completed at an expense of about $17,000.

The Selectmen built a Pound, on the town farm, the one now standing and used upon it.

May 29th, 1841, the Selectmen upon petition, located the school house lot in District No. 4, upon land of the heirs of Joseph Moor, and a school house was forthwith built upon it by the District. The same season a school house was built in District No. 3.

In the Summer of 1841, a Court's Committee laid out the road now known as the "Calef road." It was thought, and probably truly, that the public good did not require the road, and hence the Selectmen refused to lay out the road. A committee thought otherwise. The same year another committee laid out the "Bald Hill" road. This road was thought by the town still less necessary for the public, than the Calef road. A town meeting was held on the 14th day of August, to take into consideration the building of these roads, and other matters of interest to the town. At this meeting certain regulations were voted, for the management of the Valley Cemetery; it was voted to discontinue that part of the Bald Hill road, between the Mammoth road, and Chester line; to build the Calef road to Litchfield; to fence the Centre Burying Ground; and to have a clock, and bell, upon the town House.

These votes were all carried into effect, the Court of Common Pleas consenting to the discontinuance of the Bald Hill road.

On the 14th day of September, 1841, the Selectmen upon petition laid out Vine street, and Merrimack street from Elm street, to the old road to Manchester centre; also the lanes east of Elm street, and those betwixt Merrimack and Manchester streets; betwixt Amherst and Hanover streets; betwixt Concord and Lowell streets; betwixt Pine and Union Streets; and betwixt Hanover and Manchester streets.

The progress in building this year was very rapid. Aside from the many private buildings, and the splendid Town House already described, the Free Will Baptist Church was erected upon Merrimack street. It is of wood, and cost $5000.

School District No. 2, also built the Brick School House, on the corner of Lowell and Chestnut streets, this year. The lot containing 10,000 square feet, was the gift of the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company. The building cost $3,000 and its basement is occupied for two primary schools, while the second floor is appropriated to the High School. It is to be hoped that a more commodious building will be furnished for this school at no distant day. The Union Building on the corner of Elm and Market streets, owned by Messrs. Ayer & Leach, was also built in 1841.

This was the first building erected by private individuals on the west side of Elm street, upon land sold by the Company. E. W. Harrington, Esq., was its first occupant, as he had been of the first building built upon the street in 1839. He occupied the restaurant at the corner of Elm and Market streets, and one of the tenements upon Market street.

The annual meeting for 1842, was held March 8, in the new Town Hall. At this meeting it was found that the rateable polls had increased to more than ten hundred and fifty, thus entitling the town to four representatives, and four were accordingly chosen. Five hundred dollars were appropriated to build reservoirs, and the selectmen were instructed to prepare and print for distribution 1300 copies of the receipts and expenditures of the town for the ensuing year, on or before the 15th of March, 1843.

This last vote was the origin of the plan that has ever since been practiced, that of printing in book form an account of the annual expenses of the town.

The money raised for reservoirs, was expended in building one at the intersection of Elm and Hanover streets; and another in front of the residence of Isaac Riddle, Esq., upon Lowell street. These were the first reservoirs built in the place.

In 1842, the Concord Railroad was opened to this town. The first train of passenger cars passed over this road with the officers of the road, and a few gentlemen invited to witness the trial trip, on Tuesday, the 28th of June; but the opening of the road for the public travel, was not till July 4th, when the cars made free trips to Nashua, and thousands of people were present from the adjacent towns, to take their first ride in the cars, or to witness their incoming or outgoing. The trial trip is well remembered by many of our people, as connected with the death of one of our most valuable citizens,

FOSTER TOWNE, ESQ.

He was one of the gentlemen invited from this town to participate in the trial trip. The day was rough and windy, and Mr. Towne took a severe cold, and was seized with violent pains in the cars; after his return to his house, about one o'clock P.M., became delirious, and died on the 1st day of July. Mr. Towne was a native of Portrait of Foster Towns Londonderry, lived some years in Hudson, where he was a trader, and removed to Hooksett 1827, as Agent of the Factory in that place. He continued as Agent some six years, when he resigned, and went into trade in Hooksett. He continued in trade about two years, when he removed to Pembroke and went into trade. From Pembroke, Mr. Towne moved to Manchester in June, 1829, where he became largely interested in real estate. At the time of his death he was Secretary of the Amoskeag Mutual Fire Insurance Company. Being a man of business, enterprise, and property, his death was a public calamity, and although it took place in the early time of our city, when the bonds of social intercourse were but slight and fragile, yet his name is held in respectful remembrance by our citizens. He was 44 years of age at the time of his death.

In the summer of 1842, a school house was built in District No. 6, and another in No. 9; also a Hook and Ladder House was built on Market street in the rear of Union Building, where the Franklin street church now stands. And the same season, the fence about the Burying Ground at Manchester Centre, was finished, and a portion of the lot which had been occupied by the town for the purpose of burial, but which was owned by Mr. Henry Varnum, was purchased of him, and enclosed with the rest of the lot.

The Manchester Lyceum was organized this year, and has since continued in successful operation. The Second Methodist Episcopal Society having sold their Chapel upon Hanover street, to the Unitarian Society, built their large and commodious brick church upon Elm street It cost $16,000, and was dedicated Dec. 6, 1842. The Amoskeag Falls Bridge was also built this year, at an expense of $12,069.

The Manchester Democrat was established this year, by W. H. Kimball, and Joseph Kidder, Esqrs., its first number having been issued, Tuesday, May 3d, 1842. It advocated the principles of the democratic party. It has been continued to the present time. Some time in the summer of this year, Messrs. J. C. Emerson, and 0. D. Murray, proprietors of the Memorial, purchased and removed to Manchester, "the Iris," a monthly paper, and the "Literary Souvenir," a weekly paper. L. B. Everett, Esq., was the editor of those papers.

The first of September, the Memorial passed into the hands of Messrs. Wetmore & Wallace; the Iris and Souvenir were united and published monthly, and soon after Mr. Murray left the establishment. The first of December, Mr. Emerson commenced the publication of the Semi-Weekly Advertiser, Col. Isaac Kinsman, editor, which was continued only some four or five weeks.

The Gleaner, a paper in this town, that gained an unenviable notoriety for its abuse and scurrility, was first published on Saturday, November 12, 1842, by Mr. John Caldwell.

The Manchester Allodium, a neutral and literary paper, was started with the first of the year, 1843, by Mr. Willard N. Haradon. This paper took the place of the Semi-Weekly Advertiser, published by Mr. Emerson, Mr. Haradon having purchased Mr. Emerson's printing material, and its first number was issued January 14th 1843. Mr. Haradon continued the publication of the Iris and Literary Souvenir. He continued to publish these papers until April 8, of this year, when he sold them to Mr. E. D. Boylston, now the Junior editor of the Amherst Cabinet. Mr. Boylston continued both papers, but under new names. The name of the Manchester Allodium was changed to the Manchester Transcript, and the Iris and Souvenir was changed to the New Hampshire Magazine. Mr. Boylston continued their publication through the summer and fall, when the New Hampshire Magazine was discontinued, and the Trancript [sic] was moved to Great Falls.

At the annual town meeting in 1842, a most liberal policy prevailed, in regard to our schools, and it was voted that, the sum to be raised for the support of schools, should be as much greater than that required by law, "in proportion as the inventory of 1842 exceeds that of 1840." This was a liberal appropriation. But in this year, 1843, they voted the specific appropriation of $1300 for the support of schools, over and above the amount required. This example of liberal policy, thus early set by the people of the "New Village," has been followed to the present time, and with such success that few towns in New England, have a superior system of Common Schools.

They also adopted the provisions as to the internal police of towns contained in the Revised Statutes of the state, with such exceptions as the situation of the town demanded.

December, 30th, 1843, Mr. Haradon, commenced the publication of the Manchester Operative, a paper devoted to the interest of the operatives, as its name would indicate. This was discontinued in November, 1844. The first of September 1843, Mr. Haradon, with Messrs. J. C. Stowell, George S. Wilson, and Samuel E. Young, purchased the White Mountain Torrent, a paper devoted to the cause of Temperance, and published at Concord and moved the same to Manchester. It was published here until sometime in November, when it was removed to Concord.

The community were greatly excited this year, upon the cause of temperance. A decided effort was made by the friends of temperance, to restrain the traffic in intoxicating drinks. Individual efforts had ceased to be of much avail, and it was proposed to bring the authority of the town to bear upon the subject. Accordingly, at town meeting, held at the Town Hall, June 5, 1843, it was

"Voted that the selectmen be authorised to prosecute all persons who may violate the license law."
It was also "voted that an agent appointed by the selectmen, to purchase all intoxicating liquors for sale in town on the first day in June inst., at first cost and proof, and that an agent be appointed to sell the same for medicinal and mechanical purposes only."

Other important matters were transacted at the same meeting. The selectmen were authorized to fit up the house upon the Town Farm, for a House of Correction; to build the "Hooksett road," as laid out by the Road Commissioners, leading from Elm street northerly to the Mammoth Road, near the "Wycome Farm;" also to build the road leading from David Dickey, Jr's, to the Derry road; and the Representatives were instructed to favor the purchase of a farm by the County for the keeping of the County paupers.

The selectmen forthwith proceeded to carry into effect the votes of the town. The building of the roads was jobbed out; the House of Correction was fitted up; an agent for the sale of intoxicating liquors appointed; and various prosecutions instituted for the violation of the license law. Public opinion however, does not seem to have sustained the vote or the law, and the whole movement being in the hands of men who had not the public confidence, if they had that of the friends of temperance, the prosecutions in the end had but little effect in restraining the sale of intoxicating liquors. They were so managed as to savor a great deal of oppression; suspicions were afloat that individuals had private ends to accomplish, politics were mixed up with the prosecutions; private character was assailed, and in short a state of public feeling was induced that savored very little of temperance. This state of things existed in a greater or less degree through the year 1843, and into that of 1844, a period of time during which but little advancement was made in the moral and social character of the town; and of a surety the cause of temperance suffered, rather than gained by the excitement.

Nevertheless the extraordinary growth of thet [sic] own continued, the companies and individuals building largely for the accommodation of the increasing population. St. Michael's (the Episcopal,) Church was built, in 1843, the society having been organized in 1841. The church is located pleasantly on the corner of Lowell and Pine streets, is of wood, 60 feet in length by 40 feet in width, and cost $3000.

The Manchester Atheneum was established in the winter of 1844, mainly through the influence and exertions of Hon. Samuel D. Bell, who has contributed largely of his time and means, to forward the interests of an institution, that is an honor to our city, but which, owes its permanent success to the encouragement and liberal donations, amounting to more than two thousand dollars, bestowed by the Amoskeag Company, the Stark Mills, and Manchester Print Works. This institution "has been merged in the City Library, a particular account of which is to be found in the Chapter upon our "Schools, Educational and Literary mattes."

At the annual Town Meeting, March 12, 1844, the sum of $3,100, was raised, "to defray the expense of schools, the ensuing year;" and it was voted, that "$2,400 of said money be expended in School District No. 2" This district comprised the "New Village."

It "was, also, voted, "that the bell be rung twice each week day, for the benefit of Schools the ensuing year."

At this time the population and business had so increased, that it was thought just and proper, that the Courts should be held here a portion of the time. Accordingly, a town meeting was called to consider of the subject, May 15, 1844. At this meeting, it was voted,

"To instruct our Representatives in the General Court, to use their best endeavors to obtain one term of the Court of Common Pleas, and two additional terms of the Probate Court for the County to be holden in said town of Manchester."
The Selectmen were also instructed to fit up the town Hall for the use of the Courts, and to tender the same to the County, and also to present a petition to the Legislature, praying that a term of the Court of Common Pleas, and two additional terms of the Probate Court be holden in this town.

The Selectmen forwarded the petition as directed, and an effort was made by our representatives as instructed, to accomplish the desired object, but their efforts failed; the people of the County had not then opened their eyes to the importance of the "New Village," of Manchester. However, at the Fall session, December 28th, 1844, a bill passed the Legislature providing for the holding of the October Term of the Court of Common Pleas in the town, whenever the Clerk of that Court should be notified by the town, that a proper place had been provided for holding the same at the expense of the town.

The Unitarian Society organized in 1842, having bought the Chapel of the Methodist Episcopal Society, situated upon the corner of Hanover and Chestnut streets, upon the lot now owned and occupied by Nathan Parker, Esq., moved it upon their lot, at the corner of Merrimack and Pine streets, in 1844 and fitted it up for a church; the same now occupied by that Society, except that, it has since been much enlarged and improved.

Political excitement was rife in this state as elsewhere in 1844. The presidential canvass was carried on with great zeal. Both political parties decided upon having a grand political demonstration of their forces at Manchester, on the 4th of July. The utmost exertions were used to have the people present in masses, and with success. The streets were filled with men, women, and children. It was estimated that from 15,000 to 20,000 people were present from out of the town. It had been conjectured that no house could accommodate the audience of either party, and accordingly preparations had been made for the speakers in the open air. The place of meeting for the Whigs, was the ravine just below Granite street, then covered with its primitive growth of hemlock and pine; while that of the Democrats was in a primitive growth of pines, betwixt Tremont Square and Pearl streets. The oration before the Democrats was pronounced by George Barstow, Esq., and that before the Whigs by Charles Francis Adams, Esq., of Boston. Objections were brought against both places on account of their "distance;" one was said to be "away up," and the other "away down in the woods." Military Companies were present from Nashua, New Boston, and Weare, which in addition to those of the town, made an imposing display.

Footnotes

1Farmers store was next west of the Stream Mill at Janesville. Return
2Mr. Bunton lived where S. B. Kidder, now lives. Return
3The Barrett house stood on the south side of Granite street, nearly north of the Freight Depot. Return


Autumn Leaves Divider

Link to Home page         Link Back to last page        Link to Next Page         Link to Table of Contents

ALHN Hillsborough County


Email Kathy Chapter 24
History of Manchester
Hillsborough County
ALHN-New Hampshire
Created May 15, 2001
Copyright 2000, 2001