CHAPTER XXIV.
Page 3

On Monday the 12th day of August, 1844, the new Town House was destroyed by fire. Smoke was discovered issuing from the bell deck about half past 10 o'clock, A. M., and in a few moments was forcing itself through every crevice and cranny of the roof. Shortly after, the flames burst out of the north west corner of the roof, and in an hour the noble structure was a heap of smoking ruins. The fire took in the armory of the Stark Guards, from a lighted piece of paper, inadvertently thrown upon the floor. This doubtless, through some grains of powder scattered upon the floor, communicated to shavings beneath, betwixt the floor and the Hall. Here it was confined, and had been burning some time before the smoke and flame found vent. Upon breaking out at the north west corner of the building, the fire seemed to spread at once all over it. Taking in the attic, and being thus under way, no efforts could save any part of the building. Most of the goods in the stores and cellars were removed, as also the contents of the Post Office: but the printing office of Mr. J. C. Emerson, in the third story, and the offects [sic] of the Stark Guards, and Granite Fusileers, in their Armories in the attic, were almost entirely destroyed. The loss to individuals and the town was about $30,000 of which $11,000 was covered by insurance.

A town meeting was called immediately, to be held on the 30th of August, to take into consideration the subject of rebuilding the Town House; and other matters for the protection of the town against fires. At this meeting, it was

"Voted to build the Town House, as good, or better than the old one, and put a clock and bell, on the same."
A committee consisting of Messrs. Daniel Clark, Asa 0. Colby, John M. Smith, Elijah Hanson, Stilman Fellows, Walter French Samuel D. Bell, Alonzo Smith, E. A. Straw, and W. A. Burke, were chosen to procure a plan and specifications for the new Town House, and upon those being in readiness, the Selectmen were authorized to receive proposals for building the same. This committee with the selectmen were authorized "to appoint an Agent to oversee the building of the Town House, and fix the compensation of said overseer or Agent." It was also voted, that the selectmen and this committee be instructed "to build the Town House the present season."

Another committee was raised consisting of Messrs. Samuel D. Bell, John A. Burnham, Walter French, Ezekiel Blake, E. A. Straw, Isaac C. Flanders, and Moody Currier, to examine the different sources from which water might be obtained for the purpose of extinguishing fires; the selectmen were also directed to purchase two fire engines with the necessary apparatus, and authorized to borrow a sum of money, not exceeding twenty thousand dollars, to meet the expenses of the Town House, bell, clock, and engines. It was also voted that the plan of Town House should be such, that every part above the stores in the basement should be for town purposes alone, and that no part should be let for any purpose whatever, above the stores, except the Hall. The meeting adjourned to September 17th, then to hear the committee on the subject of water.

The selectmen and Committees entered at once upon their specific duties. Two engines, the "Massabesic, No. 4," and the "Torrent No. 5" were purchased immediately, with the neccessary [sic] apparatus.

The plan and specifications for a Town House of Mr. Edward Shaw, of Boston, were accepted by the committee, and a contract was made with him to construct the building according thereto. The committee upon water, examined the various sources from which water might be obtained for the purpose of extinguishing fires, and made a report on the 17th of September, that a full supply of water could not be obtained short of bringing the water of the Massabesic Lake into the town by an aqueduct.

While this committee were making the necessary surveys, as a basis for their report, the fact had transpired, that water could not be furnished the town by aqueduct, short of an amount of money entirely beyond its means. It had been supposed that Ray, Christian, Mile, and Amoskeag brooks, one or all, might be brought into the town, at a comparatively trifling expense, and thus an abundant supply of water could be furnished, but surveys and inquiry established the facts, that those brooks were not high enough to supply water only to a small portion of the town, and that all combined, they could not afford a supply of water only through a portion of the year. Under these circumstances, another town meeting had been called, to take place on the same day to which the meeting of the 30th of August stood adjourned; and in the warrant calling the same, such articles were introduced as would enable the town to act upon the subject of securing an abundant supply of water in case of fires, and for that purpose only. Accordingly on the 17th of September, the Committee made their report; it was accepted, and the meeting was dissolved. Upon its dissolution, the new meeting was organized, and the following votes were passed; viz:

   "Voted, that the board of Fire-Wards be authorized to construct a new reservoir on Pine street, near the Culvert, and a reservoir on Lowell street, near the School House to complete the reservoirs now commenced on Union street, to deepen and improve the reservoir in Concord Square, and to make necessary arrangements to render the Pond which is expected to be made by the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company on Merrimack street, useful in case of fire."

   "Voted that the sum of one thousand dollars be appropriated for the foregoing purposes, and that the Selectmen be authorized to hire the sum, on the credit of, and to give notes in the name of the town."

   "Voted, that the fire-wards be authorized to procure if possible, the land necessary for a reservoir on Union street, of such height that the water may be distributed thence to other reservoirs in the Village, and make report at the town meeting to be holden in November next, with an estimate of the expense necessary for that purpose."

   "Voted, that the Selectmen be authorized to establish such a watch as they may deem necessary for the protection of the town against fires."

   "Voted, that the Selectmen be authorized to build two or more engine houses, for the use of the town."

   "Voted, that the Selectmen be authorized to procure by purchase, or otherwise, at such places as the Fire-wards shall direct, lots of land, for the erection of Engine houses."

   "Voted, that the Selectmen be authorized to borrow on the credit of the town, one thousand dollars for the purpose of procuring lands and erecting Engine houses thereon."

   "Voted, that the Selectmen prohibit as far as possible, digging in the streets to the injury of the reservoirs now built or that may be built at any time hereafter."
In pursuance of these votes, the various reservoirs were enlarged, new ones were built, the Ponds on Concord and Merrimack Squares, were made available as reservoirs, and the Pond upon Hanover Square, was so fitted up as to afford an abundant supply of water at all times to most of the reservoirs below Pine street. A night-watch was established, and lots purchased, and houses built upon them for the accommodation of the two new fire engines, "Massebesic No. 4," and "Torrent, No. 5," the same now occupied by those engines. Thus, the burning of the Town House produced this result, that Manchester has the best supply of water in case of fires, of any city in New England, Boston alone excepted, and a fire department second to none.

Mr. Shaw entered immediately upon his contract, under the supervision of Mr. Elijah Hanson as Agent, and the Town House was nearly finished in Oct. 1845. It is of very peculiar style of architecture, nothing of the classical or pure about it, but still a fine looking structure. The design of the architect was that the building Drawing 'City Hall' should have been entirely of stone, the columns hammered and the wall of ashler work; but the committee deviated from his plan, and the building is of stone and brick, the columns and caps being of hammered stone, while the walls are of brick, painted and sanded to imitate stone. The building is one hundred feet in length, by sixty feet in width, and has five stores, with an office for the City Clerk, and a room for the Common Council on the first floor; the City Hall, and the offices of the Mayor and City Marshal on the second floor, and the rooms for the Engineers and the School Committee on the third floor; while to the disgrace of the city, the Lobby or the City Prison, is in a cellar at its south west corner. The whole structure, with clock and bell cost $35,000.

On the 26th of September of this year, the company had another public land sale. The lots sold were situated between Merrimack and Park streets,--and Elm and Union streets, and brought higher prices than at any previous sale.

The Presidential election came off in this state, November 4, 1844, and was holden in this town at the Methodist Episcopal Church on Elm Street. The ballot was thus

Joseph Low, 635, William Badger, 518
Joseph Healey, 636, John McNeil, 518
John Rogers, 635, Elijah R. Currier, 518
Benj. F. Farley, 635, Isaac Hale, 518
Rufus Parish, 635, Elijah Sawyer, 517
Samuel Garfield, 636, John L. Putnam, 516

Jesse Woodbury, 46
Peter Clark, 46
Noah Piper, 46
Daniel Adams, 46
Reuben Porter, 46
Isaac Crosby, 46

The ticket headed by William Badger was successful in the state at large, and its electoral vote was thrown for James K. Polk, who was chosen President of the United States.

At the same meeting the question was taken as to the expediency of altering the Constitution of the state, and also as to abolishing capital punishment.

The votes were thus;

In favor of altering the constitution,
Against,

In favor of abolishing capital punishment,
Against,
322
381

318
417

On the 14th day of December, the Selectmen laid out the road leading from Gilman Harvey's to the Mammoth Road near Londonderry line. This was built the next season.

At the annual meeting, March 11, 1845, the town voted to raise $1,800, in addition to the amount required by law and that $850, of this amount should be expended in the out districts, and the balance, in District No. 2; that the Selectmen furnish suitable rooms for the accommodation of the Court of Common Pleas; and that they appoint an agent to sell spirituous liquors, for medicinal, chemical, and mechanical purposes, the names of all purchasers, and time of purchase, to be recorded. A committee was also chosen, consisting of Messrs. John A. Burnham, Hiram Brown, and Isaac C. Flanders, to examine into the subject and estimate the expense of a Common Sewer in Elm street, and to report at the next meeting of the town.

In accordance with their instruction; the Selectmen appointed Messrs. Tilton and Sweetser, agents for the sale of sprituous [sic] liquor and decided upon the Town House for the accommodation of the Court of Common Pleas.

On Thursday morning, March 27th, 1845, the people of this town, were thrown into the most intense excitement, by the knowledge of the fact that Mr. Jonas L. Parker, a citizen, had been murdered the previous evening, in a thick grove of pines, just east of the village. This piece of woods was the original growth in part, was thick and dense; and just the place in all the neighborhood, for a deed of darkness. It was situated south of Hanover street, betwixt Union street and what was known as the "Old Falls Road," vestiges of which are now visible. The trees have been cut down and much of the land is now covered by buildings The place of the murder however, was on, or near the south east corner of lot No. 1275 upon the south side of Manchester street, the same upon which stands the house of Mr. Augustus F. Hall; the old road leading east through these woods to the Falls road, passing near the south end of this lot.

Mr. Parker had been the Collector of taxes for the town for 1844, had lately sold some real estate, was negotiating for more without a doubt was decoyed into the woods, and murdered by some person well acquainted with the fact, that he had a large amount of money about his person; and in all probability by some one well acquainted with him, as it is hardly probable that a man of Mr. Parker's well known caution, could have been induced to have gone into those woods, in the night with a stranger. Still this is a matter of conjecture, and the whole affair is clouded in mystery, the murderer still being unknown, though the most perservering [sic] efforts have been made for his detection. The circumstances attending this atrocious murder were these. Mr. Parker resided on Manchester street, and kept a Bowling Saloon, which was connected with his dwelling there being an entrance to the same from the street, and from the entry of his house. Two men were playing a game of checkers on the evening of the 26th, in the office of the Saloon. While thus engaged, and about half past nine o'clock, Mr. D. E. Hill, the gentleman who had immediate charge of the saloon, was entering the front door leading into it, he saw a man standing on the front door step which led into the saloon by a side door from the entry, and also up stairs where his family were. Mr. Hill had just got seated as the man rang the bell. There were several persons in the saloon, and as Mr. Parker arose to answer the call of the bell, Capt. Stilman Fellows also arose to leave and go home. As he passed the front door of the house where the man stood, he heard him inform Mr. P. that a Mrs. Bean wished to see him on urgent business at Janesville. He inquired what Mrs. Bean, and was informed a lady from Lowell, who wished to see him upon business, as she was to take the cars early the next morning. While Mr. Parker stepped in to get a lantern, Capt. Fellows entered an alley or by place, and just as here returned to the side walk, the man, and Mr. Parker were ahead of him. He followed them as far as his own residence on Manchester street, entered his house and thought nothing more of the matter.

The two passed up Manchester street, crossed through Pine to Merrimack street, and up that street to where the old road through the woods diverged from the Hallsville road. This point was near the east line of the lot upon which is the Free Church upon Merrimack street. Near this place, a young man heard them as he was returning to Hallsville from a singing School. Parker and his companion were walking along and conversing together. As the young man passed them he remarked, "It is very muddy walking," and one of the two answered, "Yes, very muddy." The young man passed on some 30 or 40 rods, when he as startled by the thrilling cry of murder, murder," and the immediately followed the cry of "don't, don't, don't." He was very much frightened, and he immediately hastened home and retired to bed, no mention of what he had heard for fear the people might jest him upon his affright. A lady living some thirty or forty rods to the northeast on the Old Falls road, heard the noise as she was reading, got up, and went to the door and listened. She distinctly heard the cries of the dying man, "Oh don't, oh don't, oh don't," till they terminated in an indistinct groan. As noises were not unfrequent in the neighborhood at that time of night, she came to the conclusion that someone had been arrested by the Police, and resumed her reading. Soon, however, she heard voices in that direction, again went to the door, and heard two or more persons having high words upon Hanover street, and then a horse and wagon drove down the street. This circumstance confirmed her first impression, that some one had been arrested by the Police. Others in the same neighborhood heard the same noise, went to the door, and came to the same conclusion. The next morning Messrs. Seavy and Sargent, who had heard the noise, the evening, and had suspicions that all was not right, went into the woods in the direction of the noise, and discovered the body of Parker, lying upon his left side, his throat cut, and the heard almost severed from his body! Beside him lay a butcher knife and a razor, while at a few feet distance, lay the lantern, so crushed, as to show that it had been broken in dealing a blow.

The ground was covered with snow and ice, not hard this was trodden in a circle some fifteen or twenty feet in diameter around the body, showing that a fearful struggle had taken place, before the strong man was overcome, and that probably more than one was engaged in the murder. The men immediately went down into the town and gave the alarm. The body was identified as Parkers, as his family had made known his absence, and his friends were on the look out for him.

Mrs. Parker had looked into the Saloon for her husband, and not seeing him, she came to the conclusion that he had gone out on business, and made no inquiry for him. After waiting for him awhile, she retired to rest. In the morning, finding he was still absent, she became alarmed, went to Mr. Goodwin's, and made inquiries for him, and finding Mr. Goodwin had not seen him since he left the Saloon, she alarmed his friends and neighbors, who commenced a search for him. While making inquiries for him, the men who had discovered the body came into the village, and the mystery of his disappearance was solved.

The murderer did not take a wallet which was in the pocket of Parker's pantaloons, and which contained $1635, but his pocket book, which he carried in the side pocket of his coat, and which contained some thousands of dollars, was taken. His tax book had been taken from his pocket, and examined, as marks of the murderer's fingers, imprinted in fresh blood were left upon its leaves! There were found upon his person upon examination before the Coroner, Joseph M. Rowell, Esq., several extensive, wounds; one entering at the angle of the jaw on the right side and passing into the cavity of the mouth at the root of the tongue, which severed the external jugular vein. Another commencing by five or six cuts, a little to the left of the wind pipe, and passing obliquely upwards and around the right side of the neck, for more than 3-4 of its whole circumference. By this wound, the wind pipe was cut across in two places, once completely, the instrument passing through the aesophagus, [sic] or stomach pipe, lying behind it, and entering the space between two of the joints of the back bone in the neck; and once for about 2-3 of its circumference. The common carotid artery, the internal jugular vein, with their accompanying nerves, were completely divided. The central artery going up through bony rings in the spine, to the brain, was cut across in two places. All the great mass of muscles and cords, upon the back of the neck, was wholly divided upon the right side, and small pieces were chipped off from the processes of the bone.

There were two or three other slight cuts upon the head and neck, and several small ones upon the hands. There were also two stabs upon the right thigh. One of these was quite deep, but did not injure any of the great vessels.

The coroner's jury consisted of D. Clark, Esq., Dr. Charles Wells, and Dr. D. J. Hoyt. A large number of witnesses were examined, and every circumstance of suspicion traced as far as practicable for many weeks.

The murderer after rifling the pockets of the murdered man fled up the cart road to the Old Falls Road. As he went he dipped his hand in the snow to wash the blood from it, and the prints of this operation remained for some hours. When upon the Falls Road he went north in it as far as Hanover street, and then retraced his steps, and followed the Falls Road to the Amoskeag brook at Hallsville. He could be traced no farther. As soon as people had recovered from their surprise, officers and others started in pursuit of the murderer. It was supposed from the traces of blood in the snow, that his right hand was severely cut. This supposition led those in pursuit of the murderer to look for a man with a lame hand, and hence the murderer readily escaped detection, as he doubtless received no injury, the blood upon the snow being that of the murdered man, washed from the hand of the murderer. The most intense excitement prevailed, and every effort was made to detect the murderer. The Selectmen of the town immediately offered a reward of $500, for the detection of the murderer.

The Governor of the State also offered a reward of a $1000, for the apprehension of the murderer. Various individuals were suspected at the time, and some were arrested; but without avail. Mr. Parker had been to Saco a few days previous, for the purpose of purchasing real estate, and was accompanied by a man by the name of Phipps. While at Saco, Parker and Phipps occupied the same room at a public house, and an attempt was made one night to enter his room. naturally led people to suspect, that some one from Saco was engaged in the murder. At length, in the winter of 1848, Asa Wentworth, and Henry T. Wentworth, brothers, who had formerly been connected with a tavern of bad repute, at Janesville, in the neighborhood of the murder, were arrested on a requisition from the Governor of New Hampshire, upon the Governor of Maine, charging them with the murder of Parker.

The grounds of suspicion against them were, that Phipps always persisted in saying, that it was one of the Wentworths who attempted to break into their room at Saco; that Henry T. Wentworth who had absconded from the State to avoid a liquor prosecution, had been back to Manchester, and had been secreted at a Mr. Morrill's house on the Hall Hill in the garb of a woman, where he had answered to the name of Bean; had been visited there by Parker; that Wentworth knew that Parker had a large amount of money about his person, and it was alleged that he was here in Manchester on the day of the murder; and the suspicions were that he was the Mrs. Bean, whom Parker was decoyed out to see, the most direct way to the house on the Hall hill, being the path they took through the woods. These allegations and surmises, together with the fact that certain connexions [sic] and accomplices of the Wentworths had often and vaguely charged them with the crime, and that they possessed an amount of property, greater by far, than their means and opportunities of accumulating property would warrant, led to their arrest. After an extended examination, however, they were discharged. In 1850, in May, the Wentworths were again arrested upon a requisition from the Governor; the evidence was more conclusive, and they were surrendered upon the requisition. They were brought to Manchester, and the 30th day of May, in connection with Horace Wentworth of Lowell, and one William C. Clark, were arraigned on a complaint for the murder of Parker. A long and tedious examination followed, extending through more than 30 days, in which the labor of the counsel for the state and for the respondents was most unwearied, bringing into the case an amount of legal learning, skill, ingenuity, tact, and finesse, unparalleled in this state, to say the least. Gen. Pierce, made the closing argument for the respondents on July 3d, which was characterized by his usual ability and eloquence, and was followed by Samuel H. Ayer, Esq., the Solicitor, in an argument at great length and of much force, in which he reviewed the whole testimony in the case, and argued that the respondents should be committed to answer further for the crime, with which they were charged. Upon the close of the arguments of the counsel, the court adjourned to July the 5th inst. Upon the 5th, the Court gave its opinion in the case, ordering the discharge of Horace Wentworth, and Clark, and the commitment of Henry T. and Asa Wentworth, and they were committed to the jail in Amherst.

On Monday following, the Solicitor went before the Chief Justice at Concord, and stated in presence of the respondents counsel, that in his opinion, there was not sufficient testimony in the case to warrant the finding of a bill against the Wentworths by a Grand Jury, and on the testimony he should advise a Jury not to find a bill. At the Term of the Superior Court holden at Plymouth, on the same week, Henry T. and Asa Wentworth, were brought before the Court on a writ of habeas corpus a letter was laid the Court from the Chief Justice, repeating the statements of the Solicitor, also an affadavit of the respondents' counsel, rehearing the Solicitor's statements to the Chief Justice; and upon this statement of the prosecuting officer, and without going into the testimony in the case, the Court decided that the respondents should be admitted to bail, the same being fixed at $5000, for each individual.

They accordingly gave the required bail, and were set at liberty. At the October Term of the Court in Manchester, some few of the many witnesses in the case were sent before the Grand Jury, and no bill was found against them, and thus the affair ended, the murderer of Parker being still at large.

The act of the legislature of Dec., 1844, providing for the appointment of a board of Engineers for fire departments was adopted by the town this year, and went into operation for the first time. The board appointed by the selectmen, consisted of Daniel Clark, Chief, and Richard G. Smith, William Shepherd, David Gillis, Walter French, Jacob G. Cilley, William C. Clarke, John A. Burnham, and Oliver W. Bayley, Assistants. The board was organized, and published their regulations, which are of record.

The Independent Democrat, was first published in this town May 1st., 1845, by Robert C. Wetmore. In a few weeks it was removed to Concord, where it is now published.

On Sunday evening, June 8, 1845, died at his residence, the Hermitage, near Nashville, Tenn., Gen. Andrew Jackson, in the 78th year of his age. His death was noticed in this town by public exercises on the 12th of July, in which the people of the town participated without distinction of party.

The day was ushered in by the tolling of bells and the firing of minute guns. The national flags were displayed at half mast, and those suspended over Elm street, beneath which the procession was to pass, were appropriately trimmed with mourning. At mid-day, the stores and shops throughout the village were closed, and the shops upon Elm street, were shrouded in mourning. Our citizens, without distinction of party seemed to vie with each other in assisting in appropriate tributes to the memory of departed worth. The people were flocking in from the neighboring towns, so that time of forming the procession, in spite of the extreme heat of the day--the thermometer at 99 in the shade--the streets were thronged. At 2 o'clock according to previous announcement, the procession commenced forming at the Methodist Church, under the direction of the Chief Marshal, E. Hill Esq., and his deputies, amid the tolling of bells, and the firing of minute guns. The escort, consisted of those excellent companies, the Stark Guards, the Granite Fusileers and Manchester Rifles. Next followed the "Torrent," Fire Engine Company, No. 5, in uniform and full ranks, and their engine appropriate trimmed. Then followed as in the order of the Chief Marshal, the President, Orator, Chaplains and Committee of Arrangements of the day, with a vast concourse of citizens from this and the neighboring towns; among which as the most conspicuous, were some hundreds of ladies, whom the burning sun could not deter from uniting in a tribute of respect to the illustrious dead.

The procession passed the several streets, the Manchester and Nashua Brass Bands alternately playing dirge music, to the Grove, where the exercises were to take place. A more beautiful place could not have been selected for the ceremonies of the occasion. It was a deep ravine about a hundred rods from our village, covered with a primitive growth of pine, hemlock and birch, whose thick foliage was impenetrable to the rays of the sun; the bottom cleared of under-brush, and traversed by a clear and beautiful stream of water, and its sides, steep banks some eighty, or ninety feet high, descended by steps scooped out of the surface of the ground. At the bottom of this ravine were erected the speakers stand, trimmed in mourning, and seats for the military; while the eastern bank of the ravine, here taking an elliptical form, was fitted up with ranges of seats and the declivity of the western bluff, was furrowed with seats scooped in the surface of the same, the whole presenting a great, natural amphitheatre of the most imposing appearance, and when filled with spectators forcibly reminded one of the amphitheatre of ancient times. This place so appropriate, was filled with an audience who evinced by their noiseless carnage, that they were deeply impressed with the solemnities of the occasion. The Marshal then announced the order of exercises from the stand, which announcement was follow by music from the Band.

The Rev. Mr. Moore read a selection from the scriptures, followed by the Rev. Mr. Cilley, in a prayer. The President of the day, Hon. James McK. Wilkins, then made a few appropriate remarks upon the occasion of the meeting, and introduced to the assembly the orator of the day--George Barstow, Esq. Mr. Barstow touched upon all the prominent incidents in the life of the departed Hero, from his cradle to his death bed, in an appropriate manner.

The ceremonies were as a whole, a credit to our Town, County and State. They were alike creditable to all our citizens without distinction, for they were all willing, at the grave of the Hero, to let the pall of charity cover all else, save the recollection of the virtues of him who had filled the measure of his country's glory."


The first of September, of this year, the publisher of the American started the Semi-Weekly American. It was continued until about the middle of April, 1846, when the American establishment passing into the hands of J. O. Adams, Esq., the Semi-Weekly American was discontinued.

On the 23d of September, a Town meeting was held at the Methodist Church, at which the selectmen were authorized to pay the reward offered for the detection of the murderer of Parker; the act of the Legislature was adopted for the suppression of Bowling saloons; and that part of the Old Falls road was discontinued betwixt Union and Pine streets.

The fourth and last land sale of the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company, took place September 30, 1845. The lands sold were situated between Elm and Union streets, and Lowell and Orange streets. They averaged much higher prices than at any previous sales.

The Saturday Messenger was started the last of November of this year, by Mr. Charles H. Chase. It was united with the American in June, 1852.

On the 29th of November, a town meeting was held for the first time in the new Town House. At this meeting, that part of the Old Falls road, betwixt Orange street on the north, and Bridge street on the south, and betwixt Union street on the east, and Chestnut on the west, was discontinued.

The growth of the town in 1845 was unprecedented. A newspaper1 of date, May 21, 1845, thus speaks of its progress.

At no previous time, has business of all kinds been so brisk in Manchester, as at the present time. In addition to the mammoth mill now being constructed, which is to be 440 ft. in length, we understand that another is to be constructed this season, of the same dimensions. Upon the corporation a large number of brick tenements are now building, and other improvements in grading and the like are continually being made, giving employment to a large number of laborers. Among our citizens also there is great animation in the way of buildings. As a town they are building a Hall, that we hazard nothing in saying, will be as beautiful a building as is to be found in New England. The basement is already up, and with its large and beautiful granite columns, now gives an earnest of its appearance. Then across the way, our enterprising citizens, Messrs. Barnes and Putney, are just finishing a large block of buildings, in a style superior to anything in the state. They are three stories, of press brick, with granite front, and glazed with the largest size of plate glass, and in other matters are finished in a style alike creditable to the taste and enterprise of its worthy owners. Then upon the west side of Elm street, a company of our worthy citizens, have commenced building another brick block, which we understand is to be the crack building of the state. It is to be three stories, with a basement front of iron pillars, surmounted with an iron balustrade. The block is to extend from Mechanic to Water st. a distance of one hundred and forty four feet, to be occupied as stores and dwellings. Then again Mr. Ballou, at the corner of Elm and Hanover sts., is removing his large brick store and house, together with a three story building, occupied for offices, &c., to make room for a block of stores, to be of three stories and granite front. This improvement just opposite the building of Messrs. Barnes and Putney will add much to the beauty of the street. Then the "September Sale," is being covered over with dwellings; we counted 40 buildings erected or in progress, upon this ground, some of which was cleared the past season. At the north end, also, improvement is going on with, rapid strides. Our friends who visited us on the 4th of July, will hardly credit us, when we tell them that as many as 11 beautiful cottages are building in the woods hard upon the "celebration ground." With a taste alike rare and creditable, several gentlemen have purchased these pine groves, leaving enough of the forest trees for shade and ornament, are fitting up beautiful grounds, preferring natives to exotics, and having an immediate pleasure instead of anticipation.

A number of, gentlemen lately bought a large lot of land on Elm street between Lowell and Bridge streets, and running back to Birch street. They have formed two new streets; one running from Lowell and Bridge streets on the west side of the Universalist Church, is named Church Street; the other running midway from Lowell and Bridge streets, from Elm to Birch street, is called Washington street. This lot of land is subdivided into thirty-three lots, twenty-two of which will be built upon this season, and we would not be surprised if every lot should be covered with buildings before the setting in of next winter. The buildings on Elm street are to be of brick, three stories high. The others of brick and wood as the purchasers may fancy."

Some 200 buildings are now in the course of erection in Manchester, and something near a hundred more will be commenced prior to the 4th of July. There is no procrastination here. A building is decided upon and it goes up, as if by the power of Alladin's Lamp. Where now stands the noble block of Messrs. Barnes & Putney, all blinded, 60 days since stood a most unseemly block of "ten footers," and on the spot, where is now a handsome brick store and Messrs. Ballou & Pierce are selling boots and shoes at cost, in 90 days is to be a block of stores of press brick with granite front! One year from this writing will show a fact of this place, of which no other section of country can boast, a School District, that eight years since had but 125 inhabitants, teeming with a busy population of 10,000 people.

The Court of Common Pleas commenced a session in this town, on the 28th of October, 1845, for the first time. The Court was held in the Town Hall, which had been appropriately fitted up for the occasion Hon. Ira A. Eastman, presided. Before the term of the Court closed, all in attendance became satisfied that it was highly proper that a term of the Court should be holden in Manchester, and it is very much doubted, whether Judges, Lawyers, Jurors, or suitors, would consent to have the October Term moved again to Amherst.

At the annual meeting March 10, 1848, the rateable polls had so increased, as to entitle the town to eight Representatives in the Legislature, and that number was accordingly chosen. It was voted to raise the sum of $4000, for the support of schools, $850, of the amount to be expended in the out Districts, and the balance in District No. 2; to pay the firemen ten cents an hour for each hour of actual service at fires; to choose a committee to petition the Legislature for a City Charter when they shall deem it expedient"; to build a sewer from Bridge street to Granite street, and to choose a committee for that purpose.

The committee chosen to petition the Legislature for a City Charter, consisted of Messrs. David Gillis, Samuel D. Bell, Isaac C. Clarke, John A. Burnham, Luther Farley and Walter French. They considered it expedient to ask for a City Charter forthwith, and accordingly in June presented a petition to the Legislature for that purpose.

The appropriated the sum of $6000, for the purpose of building the sewer from bridge street to Granite street, and chose Messrs. Samuel D. Bell, David A. Bunton, and J. T. P. Hunt, the committee to build the same, who forthwith proceeded to put in the sewer as voted by the town.

June 16, 1846, the Selectmen laid out Pine street, north to the Old Falls Road; High street betwixt Union and Chestnut streets; Birch street from Lowell to Bridge streets; Chestnut street from Merrimack to Park street; Union street from Merrimack to Park street; Lowell street from Union to Chestnut street; Central street from Elm to Union street; and Park street from Elm to Union street.

July 20, the Selectmen laid out upon petition, Washington street from Elm to Birch street, and Church street from Lowell to Bridge street.

The Legislature, in June, 1845, passed an act incorporating the city of Manchester, and on Saturday the 1st day of a town meeting was held for the purpose of accepting or rejecting said act of incorporation.

Upon balloting the vote stood thus:

In favor of Charter,
Against,
485
134

Upon the same day, upon petition, the selectmen laid out a road from Mr. John Proctor's house north westerly to the Candia road.

The election for officers under the city charter took place on the 19th of August, 1846. There were four candidates for Mayor, viz: Hiram Brown, William C. Clarke, Thomas Brown, and William Shepherd. The result was as follows:


H. Brown. Clarke. T. Brown. Shepherd. Whole No. votes.
Ward 1 34 65 8 4 111
     "    2 78 65 21 3 169
     "    3 85 38 30 15 170
     "    4 108 26 8 0 143
     "    5 123 93 28 6 252
     "    6 95 74 5 10 185
     "    7   46   81     6     4   137

569 442 106 42 1170




Necessary to a choice, 586



H Browns vote,

Majority against Brown,
569
       
17

The other officers chosen at this election were

ALDERMAN.

Ward 1 Andrew Bunton, Jr.
     "    2 George Porter,
     "    3 William G. Means,
     "    4 David Gillis,
     "    5 Timothy Blaisdell,
     "    6 Edward McQueston,
     "    7 Moses Fellows.

COMMON COUNCIL.

Ward 1 John S. Kidder, George W. Eaton, William Boyd.
     "    2 Hervey Tufts, Daniel J. Hoyt, James M. Morrill.
     "    3 Israel Endicott, Joel Russell, George P. Folsom.
     "    4 David Cross, Abram Brigham, William M. Parker.
     "    5 Ebenezer Clark, Asa 0. Colby, Nathaniel Herrick.
     "    6 William Potter, J. G. Cilley, F. A. Hussey.
     "    7 Sewell Leavitt, William W. Baker, Rodnia Nutt.

SCHOOL COMMITTEE.

Ward 1 Archibald Stark,
     "    2 Nathaniel Wheet,
     "    3 Joseph Knowlton,
     "    4 Moses Hill,
     "    5 James McCauley,
     "    6 William W. Brown,
     "    7 Amos Weston,

OVERSEERS OF THE POOR.

Ward 1 Joseph M. Rowell,
     "     2 B. F. Locke,
     "    3 Francis Reed,
     "    4 Levi Batchelder,
     "    5 Caleb Johnson,
     "    6 Flagg T. Underhill,
     "    7 James Emerson.

ASSESSORS.

Ward 1 Edward Hall,
     "    2 Ira Ballou,
     "    3 James Wallace,
     "    4 Charles Chase,
     "    5 Lewis Bartlett,
     "    6 Stilman Fellows,
     "    7 James Hall, Jr.
The second and successful trial for the choice of a Mayor, was on Tuesday the first day of September. There were five candidates, viz: Hiram Brown, Isaac C. Flanders, Thomas Brown and John S. Wiggin. The result was as follows:


H. Brown Flanders. Wiggin. T. Brown. Whole No. votes.
Ward 1, 41 48 2 4 100
     "    2 79 47 15 26 175
     "    3 98 36 17 23 183
     "    4 112 16 4 9 142
     "    5 124 65 9 30 236
     "    6 00 72 4 14 186
     "    7   58   64   0   4   132

602 347 51 109 1154




Hiram Brown had 602



Necessary to a choice

Brown's majority
578
       
24

Agreeably to public notice, the citizens generally met in the City Hall, September 8, 1846, at 10 oclock A. M., to witness the organization of the City Government. At the request of Moses Fellows, Esq., Chairman of the Board of Selectmen, prayer was offered by the Rev. Cyrus W. Wallace, senior clergyman of the City.

The oath of office was then administered to the Mayor elect by Daniel Clark, Esq. The Mayor then administered the oath of office to the members elect then present, of the boards of Aldermen, Common Council, Assessors, Overseers of the Poor and School Committee.

The Mayor then delivered an address after which the various Boards of officers retired and organized by the choice of officers.

The Common Council elected Wm. H. Parker President of that body, and David Hill, Clerk. J. S. T. Cushing was chosen City Clerk, and Thomas Hoyt, Treasurer, in Convention; and George T. Clark was appointed City Marshal, by the Mayor and Aldermen.

Hon. Samuel D. Bell was appointed by the Executive, as Justice of the Police Court, and Isaac Riddle and Joseph Cochran, Jr., Esqrs., as special Justices, September 28 1846.

Thus the City Government was in full tide of experiment.

Footnotes

1The Democrat. Return


Autumn Leaves Divider

Link to Home page         Link Back to last page        Link to Next Page         Link to Table of Contents

ALHN Hillsborough County


Email Kathy Chapter 24
History of Manchester
Hillsborough County
ALHN-New Hampshire
Created May 15, 2001
Copyright 2000, 2001